ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
sucks.

I thought I would be golden if I used the crucial racing ceramic coated UP w/ copper crush gaskets...nope. (edited; after a closer look it's obvious the problem was the UP to manifold bolt coming lose and NOT related to the Crucial Racing UP or Gaskets...see below for further details).

Car sounds like an old V8 camaro... I know there's a leak cuz I ain't boost'n worth crap and I can feel and smell the exhaust coming from beneath the engine.

Anyone free this saturday to give me a hand?

I'm over by SFO.

I promise food and drink...

dan.

·
Registered
3,543 Posts
OEM gaskets! Always! I'd offer you a hand, but it's the end of the semester and I'm completely swamped with homework. Good luck getting it taken care of though, up pipes really can be a PITA (mine has leaked twice, I feel your pain).

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
at this point, I'll just go back to my trusted gutted OEM wrx up.

thanks Zoombaru...I've been swamped w/ work for the past month and when I finaly have some time to enjoy...this happend ans I'm back to mandatory repairs. Can you get a good deal on OEm gaskets through your hookups? I'll trade you for short shifter bushing =)

·
Registered
300 Posts
Quicksilver and I have exchanged PMs on this subject.

If you follow the directions provided with the Crucial uppipe and retorque the bolts after the install, you won't have a leak. If you fail to retorque the bolts witin a reasonable time period, a leak will result. Dan may just be able to retorque this bolts and make this problem go away. That is, if the gasket is not destroyed by leaking exhaust gas.

I use copper spray, available at any auto parts store, on every exhaust gasket I install. We recommend the use of a copper sealant on all gaskets, even copper gaskets. Permatex Super RTV is great for the purpose, too.

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks Russ for chiming in...

I need to do additional diagnostics on the problem...at this point it may just be a backing out o2 sensor (fingers crossed).

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
so I took the wheel off and the prblem was blatantly obvious. One of the bolts to the UP to Manifold had completely backed out. The gasket was held in place by the other bolt but was obvously loose. W/o the 2nd bolt, there was about a centimeter of space between the UP and the manifold.

The lesson here is to re-torque you bolts a few days and then a week or so after the oringial install.

The fix now would be to get new bolts and nuts, loosen all the bolts on the UP then torque according to the recommended sequence (UP to manifold, then, UP to turbo, then the turbo bracket...I'm finally putting this back on as well).

The gasket still looked pretty good, so i'm gonna get some copper sealant (as Russ from Crucial Racing recommended) and re-use. If it doesn't work, it's not much effort to stick a new gasket in later.

Final Disclaimer, my problems had nothing to do w/ the quality of crucial racing products; the UP or the copper gaskets. I just want to make that clear because I wouldn't want a misunderstanding to smear a vendor's/manufacturer's product.

Anyones who's worked on my car would testify that nuts mysteriously disappear off my car...

on a brighter note...I finally got my JDM TMIC and TEINS Flex w/ EDFC =) it's going to be a merry christmas afterall :wiggles:

...someday I'll be able to have enough time off of work to actually install these great parts.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts