ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, I am rather weary of purchasing a MBC now b/c of a thread I read on this board tonight. I know, I know...I shouldn't jump to conclusions...But I want to be safe.

So, if I decide to not get the MBC, I have $140 to play with...

Hmmm...

What to buy?

·
Registered
238 Posts
Assuming you just have a stock car. (from what i can see with the picture) 140 bucks is almost enough to get a cool air intake. but i believe, if i'm not mistaken, 140 bucks will be good enough buy a ram air intake.

Considering that you were going to buy a BC, I'm assumming you want performance rather than looks. intake adds about 10 more hp and 10 more lbs of torque, so it's a rather good buy. and what's more, it's easy to install and actually helps your engine to breathe a lil easier :)

the only problem with that is that it would be louder than the normal intake. but not as loud as say an exhaust.

If you want to beautify your car on the other hand. Perhaps look into buying some spiffy super white bulbs from piaa along with clear corners and hyperwhite bulbs. I believe i spent a total of about 140 bucks on those.

---Indiglo gaues are next for, RaCinWRX

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I already have my intake silencer removed, and plan on getting a K&N filter soon...I've debated a ram, but not certain...

Another reason I've decided against the MBC is I plan on getting a piggy-back ECU anyway, so I see no use in it.

Yea, I'm not exactly in it for looks, lol. The only "looks" mods I've debated are wheels and lowering springs.

·
Registered
238 Posts
How about prolonging the turbo's life by buying a turbo timer?

Blitz dual TT. doubles as a timer and a boost gauge.

---RaCinWRX

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
And yet...I have been told not to bother getting a turbo timer?

·
Registered
13 Posts
CAI's for wrx aren't worth the money, for one, the stock intake is the best and it has been dyno proven.

second, once the cold air hits the turbo, it heats up to the same temp...

turbo timer, isn't a need on these cars so I've heard, but better safe than sorry.

plus if you get the blitz timer, you get a boost gauge and warn with it...

just my thoughts..

Tommy

·
Premium Member
13,353 Posts
Turbo timer would be my suggestion...especially the Blitz one...although I don't think anyone has been able to confirm how accurate the boost gauge is (and I'm still wondering myself).

·
Registered
13 Posts
actually it's very accurate...at least compared to my defi gauge.

the blitz timer reads in kelvinPascal and theres a conversion around somewhere, just dig around on google.

cool thing about it is that you can set a warn lvl and when you hit that lvl the whole gauge turns red..looks pretty cool..=)

I have the blitz timer, if you have any questions..let me know..=) I'll try my best to help..

Thanks

Tommy

·
Premium Member
13,353 Posts
kelvinPascal = BAR, doesn't it? If not, maybe that would explain some inaccuracies...in any case, I'm glad someone can finally confirm the accuracy of their boost gauge :) Now I just need a unichip and BC to put that boost gauge (and really slick warn feature) to good use :)

·
Registered
13 Posts
correction to my previous post...

it's actually measured in Hkps - HectorKelvinpascal, which according to blitz it's made up by them..hahaha:D

but I think it's pretty close to bar measurements...

1.02~1.05 = 14.7psi... or something close to that...

but I just like the look of it..=)

if you want to check it out.....

you can see it here..

www.daporkchop.com/mycar.htm

it's pretty basic page...=\ still working on it..

but let me know what you guys think!

Thanks!

Tommy

·
Premium Member
13,353 Posts
Heh I have mine mounted in the exact same place...seems perfect for it :) How do you like the BOV?

·
Registered
13 Posts
I love the bov, although wrx have problems with bov since it has a MAF right before the throttle body.

it does cause a bit of rpm drop when you come off the throttle, but it's nothing really noticable.

It's pretty loud and has a deep "wooosh" sound, instead of the chirping sound like the HKS ones.

and at WOT, it's freaking loud!! =)

what can I say...I love it..and looks good in the engine bay, doesn't stick out like the turboxs ones....

Tommy

·
Registered
253 Posts
porkchop said:
CAI's for wrx aren't worth the money, for one, the stock intake is the best and it has been dyno proven.
that seems to be debatable.

second, once the cold air hits the turbo, it heats up to the same temp...
Where's the physics in this? Digging your own hole with this one...

turbo timer, isn't a need on these cars so I've heard, but better safe than sorry.
Turbo timers are for those old cars that only use oil to cool the turbo.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Sherb said:

that seems to be debatable.
talk to vishnu performance, they have dynoed many wrx in search for power.

Where's the physics in this? Digging your own hole with this one...
I know theres a hot side and a cold side to the turbo and since heat transfers, you don't think the air heats up once it hits the turbo?

Turbo timers are for those old cars that only use oil to cool the turbo.
what do you think these turbos are cooled with?

again these were my "THOUGHTS" therefore it means I was NOT arguing with anyone, how can I be digging a hole for myself?

I moved here from the i-club because of all the drama and ignorance on that board, but if people around here are like you, I rather not post anymore.

thanks for nothing

Tommy

·
Banned
12,156 Posts
intake adds about 10 more hp and 10 more lbs of torque,
an intake prolly won't add more than 5hp (and that's been negated by some dyno tests) on a stock wrx. a cai is completely useless on a wrx, as the stock setup grabs cool air alreadt from the fender wall. the only negative to the stock setup is flow, with that resonator. if you're getting an intake, just get a short ram to minimize the piping distance and direction changes.

sherb, the cai thing is pretty well documented. do some searches. as far as the cooler air, porkchop is right. once the rex is warm, the turbo is heating the intake air right away. that;s why the IC is AFTER the charger. this is another reason the CAI isbn't worth it, and a short ram is more adventagous. plus, if you're ever going the chip route, most manufactures highly reccomend NOT using a CAI, and just using a short ram. turbo xs and cobb for example both say this. M2 has mentioned it, but i think they do it anyway.

sherb, our turbos are oil cooled. but a TT may or may not help you. if you are running synthetic, i would say spend your money elsewhere, because even if SOA is wrong that there is no problem with our turbo cooking oil, there is no way the synthetic would get cooked down at any temp or viscosity level. the TT is a waste of money. i's spend that money on go faster mods.

Another reason I've decided against the MBC is I plan on getting a piggy-back ECU anyway, so I see no use in it.
a BC will be very adventagous with the chip. it's not a one or the other scenario. they actually work better in conjuction, as the chip is really designed for more than just boost control. the BC will still allow you to hit boost harder, and hold it longer, while the chip is designed to mix the right amount of fuel with that better intake charge, and keep timing, and a number or other things in alignment with your BC. run some searched. god has spoken a lot on this subject.

and seriously guys, this isn't IClub, so cut the shi+ and keep it civil. there's no need to be harshe in a disagreement.

dR

·
Registered
238 Posts
It's all good, everybody hears different things. so of course everybody has diff numbers. Who's right will be up to the person reading the posts and the credibility of the poster.

---RaCinWRX

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well, yea...I know they work well in conjunction...But if I'm getting the chip, I may as well hold out for an EBC...

But a LOT of people are using MBCs...So it may not matter?

I am a very indecisive person, aheh...So...Maybe getting the MBC isn't all too bad of an idea?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Well, yea...I know they work well in conjunction...But if I'm getting the chip, I may as well hold out for an EBC...

But a LOT of people are using MBCs...So it may not matter?

I am a very indecisive person, aheh...So...Maybe getting the MBC isn't all too bad of an idea?
my thoughts on boost controllers are...

EBC =

- Looks
- Adjustable in the cabin
- less boost creep
- No high EGT at part throttle

MBC =

- cheap priced
- high EGT at part throttle (theres a fix for that being sold on i -club)
- often boost spikes (according to a friend, any thoughts on this?)
- it's a pain to make minor adjustments since you have to stop and pop the hood

can anyone comment on this??

thanks

Tommy

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
OK, OK...I've decided to get a MBC...

Is the TXS HPBC really worth the extra $40 over the standard?

:confused:

·
Registered
253 Posts
porkchop said:

I know theres a hot side and a cold side to the turbo and since heat transfers, you don't think the air heats up once it hits the turbo?
I'm just saying it will still help cool down the turbo and the IC a little, may not be much and possibly neglible... We can do physics equations on this all day... heat transfers yes, so does cold temperatures.

what do you think these turbos are cooled with?
I heard from the great vein that the WRX turbos were water cooled as well. I haven't verified myself but worth thinking about.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts