ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
Yes...

(I'm sure many people runs with this kind of setup, but unless you have some longer bolts there is always greater chance for them to brake..)

I would not use them, but of course it all depends on how you drive etc.

·
Registered
2,527 Posts
Roffa said:

(I'm sure many people runs with this kind of setup, but unless you have some longer bolts there is always greater chance for them to brake..)

I would not use them, but of course it all depends on how you drive etc.
So what you really mean is it depends;)

There have been race cars running spacers for years, it just depends on what type of spacer, how thick is it, are you using longer studs, what wheels you are using with it, etc.... They can be used safely and effectively or not.

·
Registered
180 Posts
afpdl said:
So what you really mean is it depends;)

There have been race cars running spacers for years, it just depends on what type of spacer, how thick is it, are you using longer studs, what wheels you are using with it, etc.... They can be used safely and effectively or not.

and they change them how offen? every race? :confused:

·
Registered
2,527 Posts
If they need to yes, they are not wear items though. They just use them for different offsets to change the front or rear track of the car to suit different conditions better. Some cars just use them to get some clearance for bigger tires and never change them. Its just a peice of metal, if you get a hubcentric spacer and have the proper sized wheel studs it should act any different then if you have no spacer at all.

Now if you go buy the cheap generic spacers from pep boys and throw them on your stock studs you can run into some problems.

·
Moderating on the run!
12,477 Posts
As Alex has stated- wheel spacers have been used for a long time w/ success.

I know folks running 3mm spacers w/ their oem WRX wheels to clear FHI four pots w/ no issues- you could probably run up to 5mm w/o worry of replacing studs.

Big Sky

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
When it's done right I guess there is nothing wrong. But I have the impression that many people just add some crappy spacer and drive away without changing the bolts to longer or stronger etc..

I know many people that run spacers (crappy edition) without any problems. If I find a good quality spacer and bolt I may use them some day...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts