Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everybody,
I am new to the club and this is my first post. I recently purchased a 2007 STI and I have the money to get a new exhaust however I have a question. I have researched about the difference between a catback vs turboback exhaust and obivously the turboback is much better, however from what I have read it seems that turboback exhausts are not street legal. I originally wanted a GReddy Ti-C turboback exhaust, however it said on their website that it was not street legal.

My question is: are turboback exhausts street legal? I've heard that they will not pass are thus in violation of the clean air act. Please if anyone of you guys out there have any information please let me know. Im sure you guys know much more than me.

Thanks everyone

·
Registered
7,911 Posts
If you remove any of the cats it is not legal. Whether or not you get caught or pass smog depends on your state, but it is technically illegal.

·
Registered
431 Posts
i have a catted TBE and i still didnt pass emissions....get good friends with a tech

·
Master Baiter
12,656 Posts
07STI_Owner said:
I've heard that they will not pass are thus in violation of the clean air act.
From the Clean Air Act §203:
(3)(A) for any person to remove or render inoperative any device or element of design installed on or in a motor vehicle or motor vehicle engine in compliance with regulations under this title prior to its sale and delivery to the ultimate purchaser, or for any person knowingly to remove or render inoperative any such device or element of design after such sale and delivery to the ultimate purchaser; or
(B) for any person to manufacture or sell, or offer to sell, or install, any part or component intended for use with, or as part of, any motor vehicle or motor vehicle engine, where a principal effect of the part or component is to bypass, defeat, or render inoperative any device or element of design installed on or in a motor vehicle or motor vehicle engine in compliance with regulations under this title, and where the person knows or should know that such part or component is being offered for sale or installed for such use or put to such use;
Basically, as cavallino333 said - if you remove any emission control device (e.g., catalytic converter), you are in violation of the law under the Federal Clean Air Act

·
Registered
433 Posts
Also I believe some states such as IL have laws against ANY modification to the exhaust system. Most of the time people will get a citation/ticket, return it back to stock, show the cops, then change it back. :tongue:

·
Master Baiter
12,656 Posts
viperuws said:
Also I believe some states such as IL have laws against ANY modification to the exhaust system. Most of the time people will get a citation/ticket, return it back to stock, show the cops, then change it back. :tongue:
You are correct. In NY, it is illegal to modify your exhaust system in any way (this includes a catback). Talk to local Subaru (or other car) enthusiasts to see how lenient your area is about stuff like this.

Personally, I would look into getting an aftermarket exhaust that looks as close to OEM as possible and isn't too loud (e.g., Cobb), to cut back on the tickets. Choose an exhaust with at least one cat, because a ticket for tampering with an ECD is quite expensive (you can tell a car is catless if it's running), and it will reduce the volume as well. There is nothing worse than spending $700+ on an exhaust only to get citations you have to pay for on top of it.

·
Registered
433 Posts
I always wondered if you could pull a "this spt exhaust came with it from the factory!" and get away with the ticket. Changing the downpipe and midpipe to a better flowing one with a tune and spt exhaust should be around stage 2 numbers... it's a bit harder to tell a modified down/midpipe over the catback unless they get on their back to check. Even then, with a high-flow cat it doesn't look at that different from stock does it?

·
Registered
424 Posts
if you know what your looking at you can tell the difference from a stock/aftermarket dp. but i doubt any cop would know or would even go under your car to check. but you never know.

i've been pulled over before for loud exhaust and i was fully catless, didnt really have a problem just had to pay a 50$ ticket. but you can go to court to fight it, some kid by me just put his silencer in and had the judge look at it and he got off.

·
"Supreme Subaphile Extraordinairre"
1,274 Posts
You should not install a full TBE until you have some form of engine management first anyway.

With that, it is "technically" illegal to make any modifications to your exhaust. However, if you do, be smart about it.

In illinois, they do not have the capability to put an AWD car up on the testing dyno, so all they do is an OBD port test. If you are tuned with a cobb accessport, you will not have a CEL.

No CEL = OBD pass in the state of Illinois.

In utah, they test you at an idle, so a catted exhaust is a must.

Also, because we have a significant streetracing problem here in Utah, the cops tend to be attracted to obnoxiously loud exhausts... so I would recommend only a stock "looking" exhaust...... stay away from the fartcan exhausts..... they look dumb anyway.

Check the laws in your local area, and possibly even go talk to the testing station before you do anything.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.