Subaru WRX Forum banner

Are Strut Tower Braces Worth The Money?

• Yes, they help the handling of the car!

Votes: 9 60.0%
  • No, they are worthless pieces of metal for show!

Votes: 6 40.0%
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Moderating U!
4,192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are Strut Tower Braces Worth The Money?

I am really interested in buying a set of Strut Tower braces but I wanted to ask a few questions before I make my decision.

Do these things actually work? I assume it has all types of factors for them to actually work, but here is my setup. I have the stock front annd rear sway bars. I have 18" rims, 40 series tires, and Eibach Pro Kit springs. Will I be able to tell a difference right away in my car? Are they worth the money for someone who does canyon carving everyday like me?

I am interested in front and rear strut braces. What brands do you guys suggest.

If anyone has first hand experiences with their strut tower braces please post your comments.

I don't want to invest money in crap on my car. I usually only am interested in performance upgrades for this car and if these braces are just for looks, then I don't want them. Please let me know.

Kurlee Daddee
(THE ORIGINAL)

·
Premium Member
3,539 Posts
They have a small effect for a small amount of money.

·
Registered
208 Posts
I have a whiteline rear strut brace on, I wasn't convinced of my need for the front brace because of the way the strut towers come directly off the firewall. Perhaps if I tracked the car, I'd spring for the front.
But for now the rear is fine. It seems to only have a subtle effect on how fast the car reacts/recovers whereas the rear sway bar upgrade dictates how much the rear sways. Bang for buck goes to the sway bar. But there is a noticeable difference with the rear bar on.

·
Registered
94 Posts
The rear might make a difference, but the front is getting damn close to reaching the point where the price greatly outweighs the gain. I dunno, but at $150 a pop for cusco strut bars, I wouldn't call them 'cheap' by any means. They are pretty though... On a semi-related note. My cousin had a 944s2, sweet ass car, he drove it like a maniac. He was doing 60 on a highway offramp, and it was a bit of a decending radius turn, he lost the ass end, slammed into one guard rail, and than the other side. It was pretty bad, maybe not totalled, but alot of damage. The guy doing the work on the car was convinced that the stb kept alot of the front end intact and prevented some damage. The body shop guys were amazed that there wasn't very much frame/unibody damage from the crash (this was a porsche/exotics shop). Like any other anecdote, take with a grain of salt (as there were probably hundreds, if not thousands, of variables that would have determined the outcome of the collision).

jb

·
Premium Member
785 Posts
With the cheapest ones being around $150 and the more expensive(eg STi) versions costing upwards of $600, I'm not too sure they are entirely worthwhile if you intend on competiting in some sort of event(eg AutoX as you mentioned). I don't know your exact needs, but I'd personally spring for a rollcage(perhaps not a full muiltipoint-eg14, but a more basic one that reaches the strut mounts) instead of paying a few hundred here, a few hundred there for strut braces(and the V bar from Cusco). Strut bars do nothing for longitudinal flex of the chassis while a cage obviously does. As an additional note, chassis seam welding is another thing to consider if you opt for the cage route.

·
1,379 Posts
This is probably completely worthless, coming from someone who doesn't own a WRX, but conventional wisdom on any car says that chassis stiffening is generally worth it if you're going to be autocrossing, tracking, or doing street driving with lots of hard transitions. My research indicates that the WRX in both bodystyles suffers from lots of rear body flex that causes some real unpredictability in sharp transitions.

My very first mods will be an adjustable rear swaybar and the rear brace.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I agree with spermarkus, swaybars are the best when it comes to bang for the buck. I have whitelines front & rear. I also have strut braces for both ends. By themselves the strut braces aren't as noticable when it comes to handling, but when paired with sway bars then made my car into a cornering machine. Ver minimal body roll. As far as money goes I got all sway bars and strut braces ( all by whiteline ) for under $450. Package deal:D

·
Registered
480 Posts
KurleeDaddeeWRX said:
Thanks for your replies guys. But I would like a few more opinions. How about all these Auto-X people out there. What do you think?

Kurlee Daddee
(THE ORIGINAL)
I have the Cusco rear strut tower brace. I bought it as part of the Cobb Stage 1 suspension package. When I asked Josh at Cobb why the front strut tower brace wasn't part of the package, he answered that he didn't think it added enough to the handling to justify the cost.

As for the rear, I haven't really detected much difference on the street. I have a track day next week, so that will be the acid test. Last track day, I hadn't put it on yet, my setup otherwise was the same. I will report on this thread if the strut tower brace made a difference on the track. I'll let the autoX drivers speak for themselves.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I found that the front strut tower bar did little to help in handling other than the "feel" of the car. It doesn't seem to stiffen up much in front, but it makes the front feel more "connected." It's kind of hard to describe, but to be honest it's not really worth it for street driving.

As for the rear bar, it definately helped. There's a small amount of bracing already in place for the Sedan (the rear deck) but the STB stiffens it up noticibly.

As for price, just but the cheapest one you can find. They ALL do exactly the same thing, so there's no sense going out and buying some $400 carbon fiber STI STB when a $150 aluminum Cusco or Whiteline will do just as effective a job.

·
Moderating U!
4,192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thank you you guys. I think from all of your input I have made my mind up to just go with a rear strut tower bar. Now if I can only decide what brand and where to buy them for the best price.

But once again thanks for all the input, it really helped.

Kurlee Daddee
(THE ORIGINAL)

·
Premium Member
3,539 Posts
AutoXJunkie said:
This is probably completely worthless, coming from someone who doesn't own a WRX, but conventional wisdom on any car says that chassis stiffening is generally worth it if you're going to be autocrossing, tracking, or doing street driving with lots of hard transitions. My research indicates that the WRX in both bodystyles suffers from lots of rear body flex that causes some real unpredictability in sharp transitions.

My very first mods will be an adjustable rear swaybar and the rear brace.
Can you point us to some of your research? Everything I have read says the exact opposite - that the new Impreza has one of the stiffest chassis on the market.

·
Premium Member
6,750 Posts
GV27 said:

Can you point us to some of your research? Everything I have read says the exact opposite - that the new Impreza has one of the stiffest chassis on the market.
Indeed, the new age Impreza is even supposed to have a chasis that's 2 times stiffer than the older generation Impreza...:confused:

·
Registered
63 Posts
the first suspension mod i did on my eclipse as simply the front strut tower bar. I remember the car seemed to hold together a lot nicer during hard cornerning, after getting the rear as well the whole unit seemed to tuck together nicely! I think i will get a set for the wrx as well!
cheers

·
Registered
25 Posts
ive heard mixed stories about these, and ive found myself w/some extra cash so now i havent stopped spending! i wanna know if gettng a front strut tower bar is worth it? how about those $25 ebay ones, are they worth it?:confused:

·
Premium Member
3,539 Posts
Merged with similar thread.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts