ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
2,472 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok so i'm on vivid's website checking out prices for downpipes (hopefully my next upgrade), and i notice this: on the one hand theres the stromung downpipe which removes only one cat, and it sells for 229. then i scroll further down and look at HKS's downpipe which is longer and replaces both cats, yet costs 189...:confused: quality? or is that just a misprint.....

oh also it said Stromungs pipe is 2.5 inches and HKS's is 3

·
Registered
2,203 Posts
all are different. Turbo XS is 4" and tapers down to 3". XS Engineering is 2.75". MRT i believe is 3" but has a seperate path for turbo and wastegate. I forget which brand it is, but some are only 2.5" in diameter. Some have cats, some dont. I myself am confused on which is the best.

·
Registered
6,580 Posts
Quite frankly, NO.

I pretty much consider TXS, Cobb/APS, Stromung, and Vishnu to be the only real options. The rest just get rid of the cat without solving the "wastegate wall" issue.

-Jim

·
2,472 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
...and you don't consider HKS to be in the top tier of quality manufacturers?

·
2,472 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
doh!

...well..um...suppose you don't have the 400 to drop on a new dp and would rather pay under 200 for one...so...you still get performance gains w/ it, am i correct? and what kind of "issues" does the dp have - are we talking safety/quality? plz elaborate

·
Registered
6,580 Posts
If you have no intentions what-so-ever for EVER upgrading your TD04, the HKS DP would be fine. Any DP will remove the worst part of our DP, the CAT immediately aft of the turbo. Using only the uppipe car and the 3rd cat, the car will easily pass emissions in any state.

Otherwise, save up for a Turbo XS stealth at $600 on our Groupbuy. I got mine a few weeks ago and it's beautiful. Handsdown the best DP available.

EDIT: PK, sign on AIM already!!!!

-Jim

·
Registered
49 Posts
What is the wastegate wall issue? Is it the overlap of the downpipe at the turbo exit?

Also, how does Godspeed's dp figure in compared to the others (in your opinion)?

·
Premium Member
13,353 Posts
Jim summed it about right regarding the HKS downpipe.

PK, there's a big long thread here about my HKS downpipe...I know you can find it! :D

·
2,472 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
hehe...don't underestimate me verdugo, i've already read the long thread you posted on i-club, so i'm not completely in the dark about this one ;)

my exhaust, less the vishnu uppipe, is completely stock - jim? or someone else i believe had mentioned fitment issues w/ the HKS dp when mating it to the stock exhaust...so am i in trouble here? or is it something i can work with?

-Robert

·
Moderating on the run!
12,481 Posts
Don't forget the Scoobysport downpipe. This piece was designed and built by Hayward & Scott, whose customers read like a who's who in racing. They also carry a 25 year warranty.

Most importantly they incoroporate a bell mouth design opening (of course after eliminating the 2nd cat). Theirs is a tapered design- down to 2 1/2"- it fits w/ oe pieces. It also makes good torque, in addition to quicker spool.

A nice pic detailing the bell mouth design vs. oe:

·
Registered
6,580 Posts
I have not seen any recent pics of the Godspeed DP. Dan improved the design and it's still relatively inexpensive. May be the way to go....

The ScoobySport looks almost identical to the TXS. Price?

-Jim

·
2,472 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
...so is there something so significantly wrong w/ the HKS dp that its not worth purchasing?

·
4,769 Posts
Mine uses a bell mouth design. There is a bit of wall left but only on the wastegate arm side so the wastegate itself is all open to the downpipe for better flow. It also is full stainless unlike the HKS and many others and will not trigger CE light. Lastly it replaces not one but both rear cats. I just finished version III of the downpipe. All one piece and cleaner looking with lifetime warranty on the welds.

·
2,472 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
will the HKS dp work w/ the stock exhaust, even though the OEM parts are 2.5" and the HKS is 3"??

·
Moderating on the run!
12,481 Posts
SonicYellowWRX said:
. who knows what dp works best. :confused:
No one. There are too many downpipes and too many variables on what "best" means. For high horsepower apps- 3"(even+) would be most suitable as well as eliminating all cats (#'s 2+3 for a dp). For low end apps 2 1/2" probably is the way to go. Also depends if your using other oe pieces in your exhaust mix (3'' won't mix and match w/ 2 1/2"). Also depends if you can eliminate the #2 or 3 cat- either for emission testing purposes or if race rules allow it. In my particular case I have to retain one cat for STX autox competition- the cheapest route was to leave the oe 3rd cat in place. I also needed low end torque, thus my decision to stick w/ 2 1/2" (as well as mating w/ the oe 3rd cat). Dan's setup is a slick setup, replacing the downpipe and front midpipe w/ one piece and eliminating both cats. Also innovative in that his will not throw a cel for cat inefficiency (it's top secret, but I believe he uses a "micro" cat to accomplish this). The price is also very competetive. Unfortunately using his downpipe would bump me out of STX class.

The good new is all aftermarket downpipes will outperform the oe one, one ultimately needs to weigh his intended uses, cost, material, size, reliability, warranty etc- just like w/ any other part we replace.

·
Registered
8,630 Posts
PlatinumWRX said:
If you have no intentions what-so-ever for EVER upgrading your TD04, the HKS DP would be fine. Any DP will remove the worst part of our DP, the CAT immediately aft of the turbo. Using only the uppipe car and the 3rd cat, the car will easily pass emissions in any state.

Otherwise, save up for a Turbo XS stealth at $600 on our Groupbuy. I got mine a few weeks ago and it's beautiful. Handsdown the best DP available.

EDIT: PK, sign on AIM already!!!!

-Jim
You have the full stealth back TXS exhaust or just the DP? I want to get the TXS DP, but I don't think i'll fit my HKS cat back...will it?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts