Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,750 Posts
Nexus6 said:
Why in the world would anyone get this for their rex?
Once you get rid of the top-mount intercooler and get a front-mount one (which probably shouldn't happen until you upgrade your turbo anyway), the stock hoodscoop has no function...so you wanna get something like this to act as a vent for your engine instead. I think Dan (God) has been lusting over one of these reverse scoops for awhile now...hehe

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
Verdugo said:
Once you get rid of the top-mount intercooler and get a front-mount one (which probably shouldn't happen until you upgrade your turbo anyway), the stock hoodscoop has no function...so you wanna get something like this to act as a vent for your engine instead. I think Dan (God) has been lusting over one of these reverse scoops for awhile now...hehe
The WRC car has it's intercooler and radiator located one on top of the other. The reverse scoop it to aid air flow across these two critical heat exchangers. Unless you front mount, as Verdugo said, there is no reason (other than style points) to get this scoop.

-Jim

·
Registered
400 Posts
I like the look :eek: But you do need a FMIC or you won't get enough air flow. I think the Aqua kit is the best looking one out there. Don't know how it functions but looks very nice...:D

·
Banned
7,636 Posts
PlatinumWRX said:

The WRC car has it's intercooler and radiator located one on top of the other. The reverse scoop it to aid air flow across these two critical heat exchangers. Unless you front mount, as Verdugo said, there is no reason (other than style points) to get this scoop.

-Jim
i bet there would be some benefits to heat soak and TMIC air exposure. this baby runs so hot anyway, i would imagine any additional flow would benefit the heatsoak on a number of fronts. sure, it'd be much more beneficial with the front mount.

maybe you could fit an oil cooler unde there. towards the front of the bay, there is some room.

dR

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
A long time ago, I thought about the oil cooler idea to replace the TMIC, once a FMIC was installed. That way the hood scoop is still functional. I suppose the second (reverse) scoop would be benefitial for heatsoak purposes, but I don't much experience with underhood wind patterns.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.