Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just installed my DR500 FMIC. It fit pretty good. The only problem I had was it came with 03 templates, NO 04/STi templates. There are no instructions only pictures and a parts list. This was my first major install next to my TBE. Most people can do it them selves, just takes some time. Saved me $300+ on installation :D
The HP/Torque gains are very noticable. Now the stock recrec.(BOV) unit is not efficient enough any more, even with only 16.8 PSI. A bit of flutter and turbo back pressure surge. I put on my RFL and it seems to work better but still not as smooth as the stock unit was. I did a getto mod to recerculate the RFL back into the intake, seems to work well now, same idea as the type H. Another thing, you need to buy a yellow top 51R battery since the stock unit is too large. Even the yellow top was a tight squeeze. My Blitz SUS was an extremely tight fit, absolutley no extra room. There is some minor adjusting to the piping to get everything to fit well. I still have some touching of one of the pipes rubbing against the oil filler cap (minor). There is some cutting involved of the front bumper cover. You have to carefully cut off that dumb black piece under the license plate holes :eek: also the tabs under the lip, not the very bottom ones. Some very minor cutting in the fog light area where it was touching the inlet and outet of the IC tank. I will post some pics soon. Sorry I did not cover all the steps, just thought I would give some of the highs/lows. Also see Dan's (GOD) post on the DR650 Looks the same as mine. He is the one who sold me mine :) PM me if you need help or other info. :cool:

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I just did a mod to my Top IC sprayer, moving it to the front. The FMIC is so large now I need 3 so I have to go to the junk yard to get 2 more window sprayer heads. It works great just with one though it does not cover eneough. Pics to come soon with that too.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I think so Randman.

Sorry, I am having trouble getting the pictures down loaded on my computer from my 1st Gen. dig. camera. :mad:

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Engine bay.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Stealth FMIC, I wanted Silver though. Makes no sense having stealth IC and running racing stripes and loud exhaust along with the hood scoop and 747 wing.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I removed the Subaru stars and moved the STi to the center. I still have to body work and paint the piece though.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
New Battery since the old one does not work with the IC piping.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You have to cut on both sides to get it to fit right, not much though.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Here is a pic of the other side.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

·
Registered
149 Posts
Why didn't you go with the yellow Optima 51d that has the positive and negative on the correct side for the STi?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The 51 R is the correct battery and the terminals are the same as stock. What you see is a pos. grounding terminal on the negative side for my grounding mod like the Hypertec system. The Pos is on the Left (red) and the neg on the right (silver) while looking at the car.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Ok so let me ask you this. If the terminals are correct then why is the battery label facing the wrong way. I want a yellow top but the sticker facing the wrong way would drive my anal self nuts. ;)

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The L battery is the same as pictured above but the terminal placement is opposite. Now, if you turn the battery around to where the label is facing correctly the Positive terminal will contact the IC piping plus you would have to lengthen the terminal cables since the terminals are farther away. Again the 51 L is same as mine but only the pos and neg terminals are switched from left to right not to the other side of the battery front to rear :eek: I would suggest you turn the label around.:) As for size I have not measured it but if you go to optimas site you can get the measurements there.

Aloha!

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I paid about $1300 + s/h but I bought the TBE and e-manage. I think GOD has them for $1400 for the DR500 and $1600 for the DR650.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts