Crescent wrench or two
Cordless drill
Drill bits
Masking tape
Sharpie
Spring loaded center punch
* die grinder or dremel

* possibly

First off their Instructions are pretty straightforward and have a ton of pics. They just don't tell you that you need to be a contortionist in order to install this thing. Truthfully if I had to do it again I think I would use aluminum rivets to hold it on.

0. Remove the rear tow hook.

1. You have to remount your charcoal canister.
* I had to unbolt the 3 bolts that hold it on and do some tweaking to make it work. Basically you are removing the rubber isolators and mounting the canister up higher and flush with the supplied hardware. Gave me some fits.

2. If your exhaust hangs down too far you have to re hang it. (luckily I only had to cut and re-weld the mounts on one side and trim slightly.)

3. Then you have to try and contort your hands in there and install the nuts and bolts. These need to be done sequentially or it wont happen.
*You would think they woulda given you rubber nut inserts like for street bikes or something. This thing would take forever to get off. I'd aluminum rivet it if I had to do it again.

4. You have to take everything out of the trunk and drill holes through it for two support rods. You mark, punch, and drill up through the bottom.

All told took me like 3 hours (My exhaust wasn't completely bolt on so I paid for it here and had to modify), and it requires the help of another set of hands.

Impression:

Overall the quality is good. My only complaint is that the edges are not painted. The finish on the bottom is awesome and matches the OBP very well, but the edges are unfinished FRP and white :thumbdown.
The thing is hell for stout mounted and covers a lot of the under body.

Testing:

Well the exhaust got quieter, and there seems to be less road noise in the back. At speed the car definitely felt more stable, and required very little to no correcting where before it felt twitchy. I have about 50 miles on it installed and so far so good.

Lets just hope I dont have to take it off again.

Edit:

Found hardware that makes life easier.

http://www.mcmaster.com/nav/enter.asp?pagenum=3188

Update:

Touched up the white edges with OBP paint.

·
Registered
0 Posts
i wonder who gave you such an idea to make it a diy thread :rotfl:

looks good man

·
Registered
2,138 Posts
actually hardware can also be found at www.jlindustrial.com mention to have shipped on the J&L Redsaver and you'll get next day air at a ground rate. One of the best reasons to buy from them if they have what you want!

·
SuperNova
11,904 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
actually hardware can also be found at www.jlindustrial.com mention to have shipped on the J&L Redsaver and you'll get next day air at a ground rate. One of the best reasons to buy from them if they have what you want!

Dont think they sell the well nuts in the mcmaster carr link.

·
Registered
314 Posts
any chance that you work in the HVAC industry?? I couldnt help but notice the Nasua ( sp? ) Chrome tape with the UL rating :D

·
SuperNova
11,904 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
any chance that you work in the HVAC industry?? I couldnt help but notice the Nasua ( sp? ) Chrome tape with the UL rating :D
No I am a Mechanical Engineer, but no HVAC for me :D too boring! That was my Ghetto Fab heat shield tape for when my exhaust was closer to my bumper than it shoulda been. I just left it in place and figured it wasn't hurting nothin. Definitely cheaper than one of the carbon heat shields :).

Update:

Touched up the white edges with OBP paint.

·
Registered
80 Posts
The car looks awsome dude, I want to put one on my black wagon now haha.

ok so stuped question doesnt it look like air can get trapped in an are pocket by the sides of where the spare tire buldge is, or am i just thinking about it to hard.

·
SuperNova
11,904 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The car looks awsome dude, I want to put one on my black wagon now haha.

ok so stuped question doesnt it look like air can get trapped in an are pocket by the sides of where the spare tire buldge is, or am i just thinking about it to hard.
Thanx.

The diffuser sits pretty flat against the spare tire well, with only a minimal gap. I suppose some air gets trapped there but its negligible. I have tested it out now for about 500 miles and it works great.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts