Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
MassSubaru
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello Everyone! :wave:
I have recently been receiving a lot of private messages about my recent install of an Alpine iLX-107 head unit into my 2011 Subaru WRX Premium Hatchback. The question that most people are asking me is about the Steering Wheel Control unit, Microbypass Ebrake unit, & the overall functionality of the installation since this part can get confusing.......

Electronics Multimedia Technology Electronic device Vehicle

SO I decided to offer the best kind of write up for any sorts of questions that you may all have.

First off before you do any sort of electrical work in your vehicle please make sure to disconnect the battery to prevent any damage or harm. You will need two additional components when installing this unit as it will make your installation/functionality a lot better. These items would be,

1. Universal Trigger AX-MTR (Microbypass)

2. Universal Fit ASWC-1 (Steering Wheel Control Unit)

(DEPENDING ON THE VEHICLE) - My mounting kit for the head unit is made by American International - SBK926 which is offered in the [2009-2013 Forester] [2008-2011 Impreza] [2008-2014 Impreza WRX]

I personally would recommend only sticking with the company "Axxess Integrate" as they have perfected these types of units and for the cost point almost are the same to third party products on Amazon. The Axxess Integrate website also comes with installation manuals + videos on how to program, install, and wire the units into your "SPECIFIC VEHICLE". You usually can find these products being sold in your local Automotive Audio store depending where you live. Axxess Integrate offers a easy to use website that is extremely helpful because they inform you which head units are automatically programmed by the Steering Wheel Control unit by the manufacture and model. They also offer a phone number you can call Monday - Friday to ask for over the phone help if you get stuck.

Another really good source of information is going to be Crutchfield. I ordered my Alpine iLX-107 unit from them and there website made ordering the housing a piece of cake. One benefit of ordering the unit online from them is that you can call anytime you need a reference and since they subscribe to this all exclusive database for every car manufacture, they can pull up all the wiring manuals with photos to assist when facing a problem. The following images below are from Crutchfield.

Text Diagram Plan Drawing Parallel

Text Diagram Document Line Paper

A. Aftermarket Microphone that comes with the Alpine iLX-107 Unit
[THIS IS FOR PREMIUM/LIMITED WRX ONLY] If you are planning to splice into the OEM microphone in the Premium and Limited editions of the WRX`s/STi then let this be your warning. Hypothetically it could be done and I went all the way as to doing this but the OEM microphone requires a 5 volt signal because it has an amplifier built in; the Alpine iLX-107 unit is not looking for an amplified connection. Thus this would over amplify the signal when talking in the vehicle and distort the sound or clip the signal. I will still provide the documentation of how we determined this below. I ended up installing the aftermarket microphone into my 2011 Subaru WRX Premium Hatchback and it was actually very easy to wire down because of this following thread. how-replace-bluetooth-mic-factory-location-wrx-08 <---- You will see my post with photos on how I went about doing this at the thread previously provided.

Text Line Font Document Handwriting

B. Universal Fit ASWC-1
The following image below is a right up of the pin connector that you will be splicing into for soldering the connections on the Universal Fit ASWC-1 which allows your Steering Wheel Controls to work with the Alpine iLX-107 unit. Alpine units are automatically detected/Subaru control units which makes this a breeze after installing the Universal Fit ASWC-1.
Text Line Font Paper Parallel

C. Universal Trigger AX-MTR
The image below is a right up of the pin connector that you will be splicing into for soldering the connections on the Universal Trigger AX-MTR which allows your Alpine iLX-107 unit to be tricked into believing that you have the Ebrake on. Also provided below is where the end of the Ebrake connection from the under the center console comes out which will save you time and effort pulling that apart to trace it back.
DO NOT BELIEVE THE THREADS ABOUT SIMILAR UNITS ALLOWING YOU TO GROUND THIS CONNECTION ANYWHERE TO TRICK IT. YOU WILL NEED THIS Universal Trigger AX-MTR DEVICE

Text Font

The cable if you choose to not purchase a Universal Trigger AX-MTR will be located under the body integrated unit right side of the steering column.
Electrical wiring Technology Networking cables Electronic component

·
MassSubaru
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
This is an example of the slicing, soldering, and heat shrink tubing that I did when working on my Alpine iLX-107 unit. Highly would recommend to anyone that they take the time to put extra effort in for preventative maintenance. This type of job would be more increasing in value as you are changing out the Stock head unit with an aftermarket one.

Wire Electrical wiring Electronics Cable Technology

·
Registered
21 Posts
I'll update this post when I take another look at what I have going on if this doesn't make sense, as I have the alpine installed for now while I'm waiting for my e-brake bypass to show up. Before shipping crutchfield wired up my adapter harness for me as well as the ASWC-1's black and red wires (1+2 in the directions you posted). Do the remaining 3 wires need to be spliced to the pin locations you listed on the vehicle side or the adapter side that plugs into the vehicle? Again if this sounds like a stupid question I can take pictures tomorrow. I got confused because the harness coming from my vehicle the chassis ground is solid black, not black and blue as in your picture, but that may be a normal thing from car to car.

·
Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Admin
38,620 Posts
Nice, I just went through this with the Sony XAV-AX100 in the BRZ, plus a backup camera.

·
MassSubaru
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Before shipping crutchfield wired up my adapter harness for me as well as the ASWC-1's black and red wires (1+2 in the directions you posted). Do the remaining 3 wires need to be spliced to the pin locations you listed on the vehicle side or the adapter side that plugs into the vehicle?
What you should attempt to do "FIRST" is get the manual/print out from Crutchfield (Call and they will email it to you) on how they adjust the wiring when you pay them to install it ahead of time. They should have an diagram on what colour codes mean for the cables if it looks different than mine.

OR

Take some really good photos (several) and post them back for me to be able to take a look for you. List the year and model vehicle/Provide all the cables you are looking to splice into, the unit, and the pin connectors in your vehicle.

Again if this sounds like a stupid question I can take pictures tomorrow.
There are no stupid questions bud :)

·
MassSubaru
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Nice, I just went through this with the Sony XAV-AX100 in the BRZ, plus a backup camera.
Does the Sony XAV-AX100 unit not have the wireless capability for CarPlay? One of the reasons why I went with the Apline iLX-107 is because I read online that it is the only unit which has a Wireless NIC card install which allows "Wifi" Carplay. This did not sound right to me but the site I got the information from was last updated in 2017.

·
38,620 Posts
As far as I know, it does not do wireless Carplay. Not something I was really looking for, though. I'll be plugging in to keep a charge going on my battery, anyway.

·
MassSubaru
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
As far as I know, it does not do wireless Carplay. Not something I was really looking for, though. I'll be plugging in to keep a charge going on my battery, anyway.
Understood, yeah the wireless CarPlay feature is not necessary but a nice add on to have. I personally use a Stalion two port charger in my car for my iPhone.

·
38,620 Posts
Cool, I'm using the stock location USB port, which fed into the stock HU and now to the Sony. (I had to install an adapter). Charges and connects for CP, phone lives on a magnetic holder, which keeps it out of the way but accessible quickly when I get in and out of the car.

·
MassSubaru
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Just wanted to thank you very much for creating this thread and suggesting an easy way to replace the stock OEM mic with an aftermarket one. Like mentioned before I followed this yesterday and had total success installing, rewiring, and hiding the installation to make it perfect. Although I did do a few things differently;

1. I installed the wire and sent it along the side of Pillar B (Passenger side) rather then the drivers side. Found it to be easier to hook the wire from the dashboard behind where I was placing the ILX-107 head unit.

2. I also ended up cutting the OEM mic and removing it completely like someone had suggested previously in this thread.

View attachment 302969

View attachment 302977

View attachment 302985

·
Registered
80 Posts
for other searchers, if you get the ilx-207 it has a data port on it...and can connect to the Maestro RR and give you expanded functions not available with other modules.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts