Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys. Recently bought a 2015 WRX CVT. I have COBB Stage I done and have a Borla cat back exhaust on it. The place that did a tune for me talked about performance chips to help acceleration, specifically the APEXi SMART Accel Controller
HTML:
https://www.carid.com/2015-subaru-wrx-performance-chips/apexi-smart-accel-controller-93989305.html
. I'm looking for some insight on performance chips or what my next step can be to improve acceleration?

· Not a mod... or is he? Or, is he not?
15,759 Posts
All they do is mess with the throttle input curve. Avoid them they offer no power.

Find a good performance shop in your area and get a Dyno tune. The cvt is the weak link and I wouldn't go haam on it.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

· In Æternum
23,698 Posts
I don't understand why the shop wouldn't use the AP to tune the throttle tables.

If I were you, I'd now question the efficacy of the so-called "shop" with regards to your ECU mapping...

· Not a mod... or is he? Or, is he not?
15,759 Posts
I don't understand why the shop wouldn't use the AP to tune the throttle tables.

If I were you, I'd now question the efficacy of the so-called "shop" with regards to your ECU mapping...
Likely they use generic maps for everything or just load Cobb OTS tunes and disable codes.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

· I Drink & I Know Things
2,532 Posts
If you're going to do ANYTHING, even where your current power levels are at, please consider an aux trans cooler, upgraded lines and orange CVT (vs. blue) fluid. F1 Motorsports makes one for both front mount or top mount applications. Mishimoto also makes one, but meh...
TGV/EGR/AOS, plus a reliable pro tune from someone with CVT experience.

F1 Motorsports CVT Transmission Cooler Upgrade

F1 Motorsports CVT Pro-Series Transmission Line Up-Grade | AMR PERFORMANCE

The lines can probably wait at stage 1&2 power levels. Beyond that, swap them in.

edit: 360TQ is generally where you want to max out at. Which is PLENTY. After that, you'll start getting the slippage and excessive heat. Beyond those numbers, you'll want to look into the torque converter upgrades and that's a whole new ballgame.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.