Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was talking with someone at www.revhighonline.com ( I am happy with this input cause other companies selling this did not say anything about a leanout prob with this filter) about the APEXI filter system and although it is a great filter the tech at the store said it leans out the engine way to bad. he told me that on a WRX its just no good, he said stay away from it. This leads me now to wonder about what to get. He said the GREDDY and HKS are great but I have seen bad filtration on my previous post and I am shying away from oiled filters. GRRRRRRRRRRRR. I have also heard about AEM Cel probs from here... any answers out there...

·
Banned
601 Posts
" the tech at the store said it leans out the engine way to bad."

I have not seen one wrx with that exhaust, and don't know anyone who has. The tech must know something we don't? The only way it could lean out the a/f mix is if the piping which it comes with that holds the maf sensor has a larger inner diameter then the stock piping. If the piping isn't the same diameter, the car would have to be dyno tuned to solve the leaning problem. Better flowing intakes don't cause leaning of an engine(in my opinion).... I'm gonna look into it cause the intake sounds pretty sweet to me:).

peace

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sorry I was not specific, I was talking about the intake filter system.

·
Registered
480 Posts
The stock WRX runs rich anyways. Having it leaned out would give you a better mix. Although that Air filter is badass. It's SS right?

-alex

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I can only assume the leanout might be the way the filters inner cone straightens the air out. it might be sending more air past the MAF then what the MAF thinks. I just want to put a short ram on my car and I am so upside down on the "Dont use oiled filters for the MAF" and all the other bad filtering and CEL issues. I had a Shelby Charger GLHS and I remember the turbo spool up sound that it offered. I heard that the short rams offered that sound but I want to stick with my warrenty just incase the tranny blows. :cool:

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I know the WRX runs rich but this guy was reallllly against it for the WRX. I think they do installs there and it sounds like they have had bad probs with it, again he said it was great but not for a stock WRX. Maybe with a retuned ECU.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
ok,,, I'll hold the pipe Hippy,,, and thanks for the recommend God,,, I am just scared about the tranny warrenty with the mods so I will wait for the next 700 miles and break the car in right then deal with my search for the perfect short ram.:)

·
Registered
27 Posts
God said:
I just use the Blitz SUS. It does lean the car out a little but not unsafely and has made more power than any other intake I have ever tried. No oil either.
God, I know you recommend the Blitz SUS and it is a great looking filter, but do you have any concerns about its filtering abilities? The mesh size is 200 microns which is 2/10 of a millimeter. Small, but not THAT small. Cobb pretty strongly recommends against the Blitz for that reason. Do you think there would be any long term adverse affects related to the less than ideal filtering characteristics?

Also, I was wondering, does anyone have any actual proof that the Apexi filter leans out the engine too much? Any A/F dyno analysis? Just wondering. I'm not saying it won't, I'd just like to see some proof either way.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Here is a comparo I found on a Skyline forum for filters. I was going to get the Blitz until I saw this. http://www.mkiv.com/techarticles/filters_test/2/
About the APEXI leaning the engine out I can only take advise of a guy who who not sell me the more expensive system, leading me to beleive he has seen probs.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Don't waste your $$$ on an intake. The stock one is a great design up to like 400HP. Just get a drop in panel (K&N or Perrin), and if you'd like do the resonator mod...

·
Banned
601 Posts
"I can only take advise of a guy who who not sell me the more expensive system"

Well, you can think for yourself(no offense). The apexi intake is not expensive. On the link in your other thread, there is a place selling it for $129 which is actually pretty cheap.... Also, since the maf is after the intake, intake should not lean out engines unless the piping holding the maf is larger then the stock piping inside(like I said b4). I could be wrong, but I'd be willing to test it out:).

peace

·
Registered
292 Posts
I think that link was just the Apexi Filter.

I am thinking if you took the Turboxs pipe or Sus pipe (they are exactly the same) and used the Apexi Filter, you'd have the best intake possible.

Anyone else think so?

How could we get these parts? :)

hippy78 said:

Well, you can think for yourself(no offense). The apexi intake is not expensive. On the link in your other thread, there is a place selling it for $129 which is actually pretty cheap.... Also, since the maf is after the intake, intake should not lean out engines unless the piping holding the maf is larger then the stock piping inside(like I said b4). I could be wrong, but I'd be willing to test it out:).

peace

·
Registered
183 Posts
hippy78 said:

peace
Do you know kind of HP gains you will get from a CAI? Try spending the $$$ on this instead: Perrin I/C Hoses. More bang for the $$$...

·
Registered
292 Posts
ok my mistake guys

the Apexi Power Filter alone is about 70 bucks. It has a 80 mm outlet. Let me find out the size of the maf holder on the sus intake...

·
Banned
601 Posts
"Do you know kind of HP gains you will get from a CAI? Try spending the $$$ on this instead: Perrin I/C Hoses. "

It is not a cold air intake, it's short.... I wouldn't waste my money on a cold air intake..... I would much rather get an apexi filter(if it works the way they claim) for good filtration and flow then some intercooler hoses which don't maintane the life of my engine(just my opinion)...

peace

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I see what you mean Hippy, I dont know how the filter hooks up to the intake on the car. The system I was looking at anyway hippy was the aluminum induction kit that can be gotten for the APEXI filter, thats why it was mopre expensive. From that link I sent the filter seems to work incredible with no oil residue to get on the MAF. Kitt99bar might have a good idea about a different short ram and the apexi filter. I want to try and make the swap to normal intake quick if I have warrenty probs. I would cut the resonator but if I have to bring it in i'm screwed.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I've seen that lean condition problem before. I put an AFE filter on one of my previous rides and saw the o2 readings drop by about .15v. The AFE had a velocity stack in the base, I assume the ApexI does as well. The factory maf was calibrated for use with the factory intake setup and any change to the characteristics of the stream as it passes the maf will screw with the readings.

Evo's have a similar problem, but they tend to run even richer with just about any aftermarket intake, and even with some drop in filters. Nothing that can't be corrected with an afc or some other fuel management.

Pick an obd2 data logger and record your 02 voltages before and after regardless of what filter you get so you know whats going on. I'm sure you can find someone from your area in the regional forum willing to let you log with theirs if you don't want to drop the extra cheese.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts