ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have flashed my ECU with the AP STG 1 map a little over a month. Bone stock MY03 WRX 5 speed. I've driven a/b 1000 miles since installation.

Currently has 91 STG 1 base map. I've tried both 91 STG 1 & 93 STG 1 realtime maps.

The highest I've seen the needle go is .095mPa in 5th; before AP I would actually see .1mPa.

On couple occasions I've had the AP connected & my passenger keep an eye on AP's boost readings --- the highest on both occasions was about 14.3PSI.

Are these numbers in-line & what's expected of STG 1? Subjectively I haven't felt the difference in the car like some others post a/b "smoothness" or "more power" even w/STG 1.

Just wondering.

Robert

·
Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Admin
48,699 Posts
Target for Stage 1 is supposed to be 14.7, but there is some plus or minus to it. 14.3 read on the AP should be within target range. I'm a little surprised that you were reading as high as you were when you were stock. You (or someone before you) haven't done a 3/16th mod or anything like that, have you?

Guess I've been lucky; I've hit target boost levels on every stage of reflash I've run. I'm a bit confused that you're not feeling any difference from your Stage 1 map.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ray,

Thanx for the response. No, no performance mods what-so-ever. Guess I was lucky that I used to hit .1 mPa pre-AP.

I am confused to my subjective feeling too post-AP.

Probably what I need to do is run the stock realtime map & see if I feel any power loss? Quite possible that I was hoping for a 'big difference' when I first installed STG 1 that when I didn't feel the 'big difference' I got numb to the subtle increase while learning? I thought at least I will feel the smoothness in the low gears though or the powerful pull in 2nd & 3rd. I think I don't hit .095 mPa unless in 4th or 5th.

I've searched threads on cobb forum but couldn't really find a defacto statement that posts the target boost for each gear in STG 1. Where did you see such?

Anyways this weekend I'll need to try the stock realtime map.

Robert

·
48,699 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Duh - completely missed that. Thanx Ray. So when they say peak boost they mean that in any gear, maybe except 1st, I should be able to hit close to peak boost?

Robert

·
48,699 Posts
Sick Boy said:
Any idea on why they stopped at 14.7PSI?
Well, they have to have a margin for error. If they advertise 14.7 plus or minus .5 psi, that's a possible peak boost of 15.2. A stock turbo and possibly a stock uppipe doesn't need to be seeing a lot more boost than that.

ur2punk: I would get it in 3rd gear, floor it at 2000 rpm, and see what peak boost you get. 3rd and 4th seem to be the popular gears to measure boost with. (Though in 4th, you're liable to be going a little fast by the time the revs build up...:) )

·
Registered
715 Posts
RayfieldsWRX said:
Well, they have to have a margin for error. If they advertise 14.7 plus or minus .5 psi, that's a possible peak boost of 15.2. A stock turbo and possibly a stock uppipe doesn't need to be seeing a lot more boost than that.
Ah, this is true. Didn't think of it in that terms. 15.2 is pretty close to 16psi (which seems to be the max on the stock turbo and internals). I was just thinking that they wouldn't have such a spread. It seems to me that if you're moding the ECU, you should be able to hit the boost you want to hit, just like Subaru does.

Am I wrong to think this way?

·
48,699 Posts
Sick Boy said:
Ah, this is true. Didn't think of it in that terms. 15.2 is pretty close to 16psi (which seems to be the max on the stock turbo and internals). I was just thinking that they wouldn't have such a spread. It seems to me that if you're moding the ECU, you should be able to hit the boost you want to hit, just like Subaru does.

Am I wrong to think this way?
If that were true than all stock WRX's from a given year should hit the same boost, right? There seems to be a bit of a spread there, too.

·
Registered
715 Posts
RayfieldsWRX said:
If that were true than all stock WRX's from a given year should hit the same boost, right? There seems to be a bit of a spread there, too.
Good call. I stand corrected. For some reason, my brain is no operating correctly today so I can not make these simple reasonings. Sorry for the moment of retardation.

-Peace

PS: RayfieldsWRX, sweet avatar. Notice my quote. I curious to see a if he can make it 7.

·
48,699 Posts
Sick Boy said:
PS: RayfieldsWRX, sweet avatar. Notice my quote. I curious to see a if he can make it 7.
I'm just amazed with a human being who can fight off cancer and do the things he's done. He's talked of taking a break next year, and maybe returning after that. Who knows...?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts