ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just flashed my 02 WRX 4EAT last night with the Stage 1 91 Octane last night and honestly can't say I notice too much of a difference. I notice a greater performance difference when I installed a Perrin pulley.

Has anyone else tried reflashing their car with Cobb? What should I expect? I was hoping for a bit more low end torque since the torque is suppose to go up to like 260.

Does it need time to "learn" before I get the performance?

Thanks gang,
alwrxwu

·
Registered
773 Posts
Well if you have the 4eat.....do these steps to accelerate the learning.

1. Reset ECU (disconnect battery and pump the brakes)
2. Connect battery back up.
3. Put the car in 3.
4. Push down brakes.
5. Get RPM's to about 2500. That should get your boost to around 3~5 psi.
6. Hold that for 10 seconds. Then either let off brakes or gas. I just let off gas so i dont launch.
7. Enjoy!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

3. Put the car in 3.
4. Push down brakes.
6. Hold that for 10 seconds. Then either let off brakes or gas. I just let off gas so i dont launch.
7. Enjoy!
Sounds straight forward enough. I'll give her a try tonight and see how that works.

What should I expect afterwards?

alwrxwu

·
Registered
889 Posts
Even after the ECU learns, you still probably won't feel much of a difference. The car will maybe be a little more responsive but thats it. The 3 cats that are really restricting the exhaust must be taken off before you can feel any real power. This is my opinion, so if im wrong somebody please correct me.

·
Registered
773 Posts
fastwrx135 said:
Even after the ECU learns, you still probably won't feel much of a difference. The car will maybe be a little more responsive but thats it. The 3 cats that are really restricting the exhaust must be taken off before you can feel any real power. This is my opinion, so if im wrong somebody please correct me.
I was never Cobb Stage 1 so i cant say. But from the 227 factory rating to 260 with the flash im sure you'll feel something. Not mind shattering difference but at least a smoother power band and boost holding longer.

·
Registered
721 Posts
I noticed the change. The biggest difference was the lack of power dropoff near redline but I felt a stronger pull throughout the power band.

Might be in my head, of course, but I don't think so.

·
Registered
889 Posts
skyjock41 said:
I was never Cobb Stage 1 so i cant say. But from the 227 factory rating to 260 with the flash im sure you'll feel something. Not mind shattering difference but at least a smoother power band and boost holding longer.
You're right, but if he hasn't felt the extra power by now, i can't see how resetting the ECU will make this happen.

·
Registered
423 Posts
the power is there....but the power curve is much healthier so you do not feel it....

your car will feel as if it was an NA vehicle..am i right?

·
Registered
3,707 Posts
skyjock41 said:

3. Put the car in 3.
4. Push down brakes.
7. Enjoy!
uhhhhhhh skyjock what are you on????

thats liek launching your car that so much stress on the tranny dude, holding it for 10seconds???? thats not good , i mean tell me if im wrong but thats really not good

·
Registered
773 Posts
what i posted is the vishnu trick. He explains how to do it with a 5MT. I explain the 4eat way.

EDIT: if any of you got a different way for the 4eat id sure like to hear it. Ive done it and i will stand by it and say it works.

·
Registered
3,707 Posts
skyjock41 said:
what i posted is the vishnu trick. He explains how to do it with a 5MT. I explain the 4eat way.

EDIT: if any of you got a different way for the 4eat id sure like to hear it.
thats while your moving silly skyjock

·
Registered
773 Posts
It dont matter if your moving, falling off the cliff, or racing a cop. Whats important is to keep revs 2500 at 3~5psi for 5 seconds (i do ten)

i guess you could do it in the 4eat like he suggested. Its 2 much work for me. I can do it in the driveway and be good to go.

·
Registered
217 Posts
I've tried what I posted but don't know if it did anything. I posted the vishnu trick (yeah it may be the 5mt way) as your's sounded similar. Maybe there is a different way with the 4eat.

I found better results in adding higher octane fuel, the vishnu intercooler hoses, and then "driving it like it was stolen" on a cloudy and cool day.

Also, open up the glove box and let the papers slide around = Great fun!

·
Registered
3,707 Posts
sorry skyjock not trying to annoy you man......

2nd gear keep it at 2500 or whenever your car hits 2-5psi and hold it for 5 seconds then hit it and shift to third and 4th you will feel it

this is the safer way to do it, but im sure the other way works

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Little test...

I ran a little test on the way home and found that the boost hits 10psi at ~3000RPM. Does that sound about right? I think it's about 5psi at stock(?)

alwrxwu

·
Registered
773 Posts
Re: Little test...

alwrxwu said:
I ran a little test on the way home and found that the boost hits 10psi at ~3000RPM. Does that sound about right? I think it's about 5psi at stock(?)

alwrxwu
Not sure........if your not seeing around 15ish when you floor it something is wrong.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts