ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i want the accessport but i also want the pe1818 turbo am i eventually going to be able to have the best of both worlds by them coming out with some new maps or am i going to have to go with a 34? i dont want to tune or i'd get a utec( heard they are high maintenance)

·
Registered
269 Posts
Nobody is really sure what turbo Cobb's stage 3 will use. My guess is a VF30 or a VF34. If you are nearby you can get your pe1818 tuned on their dyno. Give Cobb a call and see if they have a map for a pe1818 that is not posted on the website.

·
Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Admin
48,699 Posts
Well, he's in Alabama, which isn't particularly close to Utah. ;)
I wouldn't hold your breath waiting on Cobb to release a plethora of specific maps for all kinds of turbos. They're just too thorough and conservative to do that. I'm hoping that someone remotely local to me will start tuning using their AccessTuner product (whenever that comes out :rolleyes: ), and I can get a custom dyno tune for my car. (and people like the original poster can get their specific applications tuned..)

·
Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Admin
48,699 Posts
rokyholler said:
do you know if the tuner will be the same as the utec b/c i dont wouldnt want to have to tune it everyday to get rid of knocking and that stuff
Well, no one knows anything about it yet, for sure. But Cobb doesn't use a piggyback like the UTEC; they reflash your factory ECU. One of the advantages of their reflash technology is that your ECU retains control and adaptability. It can adjust on a day-to-day basis to changes in temperatures or other conditions, just like the factory stock tune does. I would assume that the principle will remain the same with their new tuner product.

Having said that, I'm sure it will be quite possible to tune it wrong, and create a knocking condition. I doubt there will ever be such a thing as a perfectly safe DIY tuner solution.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts