ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ordered my AP on Monday, got it yesterday (Thursday). Here is my take on the entire "experience".

Instructions
Very good instructions. I've written for technical publications in the past, and I know good instructions when I see them. They are well thought out, very detailed, and explain most everything step by step. The actual instructions on the AP itself supplement them nicely as well. Very good job on Cobbs part.

I'd like to add two minor suggestions to improve their instructions, and it might help those in the future that may read this:

1. They don't say that the AP is already pre-loaded with any maps. Granted, you'll find this out before you flash them, but, I was wondering if I had to hook up my AP to the management software, prep the AP, then follow the flashing steps.

2. I nearly knocked out the plug when exiting the car during the base map reflash (yikes!). Even though it's my clumsy fault, in the future, I'm going to reflash from the passengers seat, no chance of tangling the cord, or knocking the plug out from there.

Install/Reflash
Not much to comment on here. The display cycles through the hexidecimal addresses and also gives you a percentage complete. Took mine roughly 25 minutes, just like the instructions had stated.

Driving Impressions
Started out with stage 1 91 octane. High humidity, but nice temps of 68 degrees. I had a buddy ride along to report live boost readings from the AP. I hit 17.1 PSI in 4th going up a hill using stage 1, within less than 5 miles of "learning".
As promised, power delivery was very linear and smoother than stock. There was more grunt in the midrange, and it pulled nicely.

Since I had 93 octane in the tank, I decided to try the realtime function out, Stage 1 93 octance.

WOW. I'm sure this is due to more learning time, but, man this seems 2x of stage 1 91 octane. Peak boost on the same run was 17.4, however, there is just more power everywhere. Partial throttle has been vastly improved. Still smooth as buttah...

Final thoughts
It has been roughly 40 miles, and it was cooler by nearly 20 degrees than it has been the last week or so, but, I'm confident that this made a very good improvement over stock for only $645. I haven't encountered any CELs due to overboost, and I'm not underboosting (17.4 is ok, right?).

All in all, a very well thought out, professional, quality device by Cobb tuning. Hats off!

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
Nice write up,

You order from cobb's website? Reason you got it so quickl is cause u have a sti!?

Grr reading write ups like this make me wish i had my accessport right now!

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nope, ordered from the first reseller they list on their website, Subaru of Dallas.

www.hotsubaru.com

They have 2 in stock for the 2004 WRX right now.

Great website. Very prompt service/shipping. Like I said, ordered Monday morning, recieved Thursday afternoon. Can't beat that!

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
burgerboy said:
Being that they're reseller, one should still get full support for the AP from Cobb, right?
Yeah, they are an "authorized" reseller. Same as if you bought from Cobb themselves, I would think.

·
Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Admin
48,699 Posts
25 minutes to initialize on an STi, hunh? It takes 10 on a WRX, and the wait for that nearly drove me nuts! I didn't sit in the car while it was flashing; I just started it going while standing outside the car, the gently laid down the AP onto the driver's seat. Then I went in for a drink, so I wouldn't just sit there and stare at the screen, worrying that it was going to lock up my ECU!:wiggles:

·
Registered
22 Posts
I bought 2004 wrx wagon on 7/2. I knew about AP on 7/8.
I placed an order from cobb on 7/9. I found that hotsubaru sells AP on 7/10.
I finaly found one in stock from hotsubaru. I placed an order on very early on 7/24. I track the order a few minutes ago and found out that it'll be delivered on the day after tomorrow.
I guess I'm very lucky. I had been checking their site for availability for last two weeks. Finally, I found the moment that I could place an order. I guess they accept an order from thier site only when they have AP in stock and post on thier website. Needed much effort to find that moment.

I'll cancel the order from Cobb.

No more waiting. :D

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Update!

I've put roughly 200 miles on the car since running AP stage 1 93 octane.

It has still been pretty cool out, but, the car continues to put grins on my face. From all the posts about people being slightly dissapointed, I was approaching this hoping for the best, but keeping my expectations in check.

I've played this game before, having chipped my 2001 1.8T VW GTI, which pushed it from 150 to 196HP, and 170 ft/lbs to 248 ft/lbs, I think the difference between stock and chipped was almost the same difference, with the GTI slightly being more noticeable.

Another thing to note, this last tank of gas was spent letting a few buddies drive it hard, myself with MANY hard runs, even a 60 mile jaunt on hwy 60 with WOT pulls around corners/straights. Needless to say, it's been run pretty hard for this tank... 18.5 mpg! Thats near or better than stock, with less aggressive driving.

I have to be pushing 40 hp gains with 40+ gains in torque. I don't think I'd notice much of a difference if I wasn't.

I should get it dynoed, however, I don't have a baseline anyway...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts