ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been contemplating getting a TBE and finally made my decision, then read this:

The TBE WILL cause higher airflow - it WILL give gains. However, especially on California gas, it WILL be VERY likely to cause significant detonation. This shortens engine life.

It's lovely that pjdwrx believes that he had no problems - it's also possible, though to my experience, it's not that likely. TBEs typically lead to det on 04s without EM that can modify or control the CLF/OLF crossover. You can't always hear det, but that doesn't mean it's not breaking stuff.

Anybody have any serious detonation issues in Cali or anywhere for that matter? I know a tune will fix it but am still a little paranoid

·
Registered
128 Posts
TBE will cause detonation from the increased air flow, thus a lean condition? i have seen a dyno plot with afr on a car with TBE with up pipe. richer than 10:1 at higher than 5k

·
Registered
309 Posts
I am in so cal with an 04 and a TBE, and it doesnt cause det. Why would opening up the exhaust cause detonation? Anyhow, I have a UTEC and so it will flash if there is any sort of knock occuring, but I still dont see why freeing up the exhaust after the engine would do anything to cause detonation.

Rob

·
Registered
16,991 Posts
I was wondering the same thing...it shouldn't cause detonation in principle, at least. I already knock with the stock tune and catted downpipe, sheesh! :)

·
Registered
128 Posts
dosage0 said:
I am in so cal with an 04 and a TBE, and it doesnt cause det. Why would opening up the exhaust cause detonation? Anyhow, I have a UTEC and so it will flash if there is any sort of knock occuring, but I still dont see why freeing up the exhaust after the engine would do anything to cause detonation.

Rob
Ero2 is assuming the increased air flow will cause higher boost levels, which is true. If pisswater 91 octane cannot support the extra boost, I suppose detonation will be an issue. However, 04 owners in Cali increase boost via MBC, and they claim no detonation. If only considering the AFR and timing, the factory ECU adapts so that shouldn't be any problem.

As far as dosage0 and his 04 is concerned, we can't really compare that to Ero2's question. He was concerned about the installation of the TBE without proper EMS.

My 04 with TBE + up is not detonating. At least I don't hear it. It could be and maybe I dont hear it? which would be bad for me later....:wiggles:

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
so I shouldn't even worry about it?

On another note do you guys recommend against using shell gas, the new v-power stuff, just curious what you guys think the better gas to use is?

·
Registered
46 Posts
My dealership told me not to use shell because it is utter crap. I did a couple times (no choice) and my car ran horrible. Up here in Canada the best is Husky/Mohawk.

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
I have a TBE and UP-pipe with no EM. I do not get detonation but I do get an EGT too high CEL occasionally after a spirited drive

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
Gypsy said:
My dealership told me not to use shell because it is utter crap. I did a couple times (no choice) and my car ran horrible. Up here in Canada the best is Husky/Mohawk.
Interesting...Oh well, I've been using Shell since I got the car, and i've never expierenced detonation or knocking of any kind. I guess in CA, it doesn't matter, it's all the same piss-water.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts