ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im waiting for my subaru to get in and was wondering if anyone has had experience with the factory roof bars. I like the look of them. Are they quality? I will really only use it for bikes.

·
Registered
2,136 Posts
I have them with yakima bike carriers and they work great. Easily hild the weight and take about a minute to install and remove.

·
Premium Member
155 Posts
I use them with a cargo carrier during the winter to hold my skis and they seem pretty stable. The roof rack holds the cargo carrier on at 85- 90 when passing a group of cars on mountain passes. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
184 Posts
Im waiting for my subaru to get in and was wondering if anyone has had experience with the factory roof bars. I like the look of them. Are they quality? I will really only use it for bikes.
I used them on a 2008 Impreza (my car before the WRX) and I did not like them.

1. They were not easy to install. It takes a good amount of time to get the holes lined up. I ended up taking it to the dealer, and it took them a while to get in on as well. So don't plan on taking it off and on as you need it.
2. The rack would not stay secure to the roof. I had to keep tightening them and it would only stay secure for a week or two before I had to re-tighten them.
3. I had Thule accessories from an older Thule rack and they did not fit the subaru aero bars well (especially my kayak racks - they were not secure and fit at weird angles).

I ended up selling them and buying a Thule base system. The Thule is a better constructed and secure rack. Also, all my attachments (bike, kayak, etc) are thule so there isn't any fit issues.

... That's been my experience. Hope it helps.

·
Registered
4,033 Posts
I have the oem cross bars on my car and I absolutely love them. They're on/off in 5mins and I use them with my Thule kayak carriers and they work perfectly. They're a lot less than aftermarket brand ones and they work. IMO that's all that really matters.

Edit: I've never had any issues with them loosening or anything, and idk why it took Wussola so long to put them on and take them off, but it takes me 5mins (if that) by myself. Generally aftermarket stuff isn't designed to fit OEM bars unless otherwise specified, so I'm assuming that they weren't. My thule kayak holders are made to fit any style of crossbar and they work perfectly and stay tight.

·
Registered
252 Posts
So, you can use aftermarket bike carriers on the OEM cross bar, right?

And I'm wondering why only 1 person so far had problems with them as well. Maybe because it's a 2008 Impreza instead of a 2011-12 WRX?

·
Registered
4,033 Posts
As long as they're designed to fit the OEM bars, yes they'll work.

·
Registered
2,136 Posts
I used them on a 2008 Impreza (my car before the WRX) and I did not like them.

1. They were not easy to install. It takes a good amount of time to get the holes lined up. I ended up taking it to the dealer, and it took them a while to get in on as well. So don't plan on taking it off and on as you need it.
2. The rack would not stay secure to the roof. I had to keep tightening them and it would only stay secure for a week or two before I had to re-tighten them.
3. I had Thule accessories from an older Thule rack and they did not fit the subaru aero bars well (especially my kayak racks - they were not secure and fit at weird angles).

I ended up selling them and buying a Thule base system. The Thule is a better constructed and secure rack. Also, all my attachments (bike, kayak, etc) are thule so there isn't any fit issues.

... That's been my experience. Hope it helps.
That's insane! I have none of those issues at all

1 - 8 of 8 Posts