ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to buy new tires for my STI and i am looking at these.
Has any one run them or do you guy's have any suggestions.
I drive mountain roads and i commute 120 miles per day.
I am looking for something sticky but not to soft i would like to get close to 50k out of a set.

Continental ExtremeContact DWS

·
Registered
67 Posts
I have been running these for about 15,000 miles so far on my rsx. I have been pretty happy with them so far. Good wear, great in rain and standing water at speeds up to 65 MPH, pretty decent in snow, not great on ice. When they get hot they tend to slide a littel, but if you inflate a littel high it helps. They are not as good as dedicated tires, but pretty decent all around.

·
Registered
179 Posts
I ran those on my old TL-S and liked them quite well. Good wet performance, decent snow. My only complaint was that the sidewall seemed a bit weak. I had two dimple after hitting some potholes. (Different potholes) otherwise they were great.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
29 Posts
There is a big thread on DWS and the DW on nosioc.
Most people like them very much. Great wet weather tire. I am sure you know all about very wet winters in Santa Cruz. The side walls are well known to be "soft" but very predictable. If you are coming from a stiff tire it will take a little getting used to but not unpleasant. Another thing some people have noticed is that there seems to be a "break in" period where for the first 500-1000 miles the tires seem to have flat spots or unbalanced. They then smooth out by themselves.
I am running the DW on my car, which I really like. The DW are better in the dry than the DWS but get a bit squirrelly bellow 45°. Being in the Bay Area I can get away with these year round. They are by far the best wet performance tire I have ever driven. They will make you feel like superman in the rain.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I bought some for the winter but it didn't snow much in Michigan and when it did the dws performed excellent. Some people complain about road noise but I don't hear it and I turn up my music anyway. I would buy another pair

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So i went ahead and bought a set of the DWS. So far i am disappointed. the bubble gum sidewall is the problem.
I drive a bunch of back road twisties and like to throw the car around. the DWS side wall has so much flex you can feel the car get unsettled if you change direction quickly. The positive is they are extremely quite. the negative is they make the STI feel like it is your grandmothers station wagon rolling on bias ply 70 series tires.

Save your money these things suck.

The tire shop where i bought them told me they are discontinued and i cannot even do an exchange.

well that was a waste of a grand.

·
Pro Manscaper
21,455 Posts
Damn I wish I would have seen this thread before...I would have advised against these from the start. They aren't a performance tire by any means. Sorry about the bad luck :sadwave:

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I had them inflated to 45 psi today. I will try them at there max 51 psi tomorrow, i suspect this will not help the side wall flex but it is worth a shot.

·
Registered
29 Posts
You have to remember that it's an all season tire, so compromises are built in. Those tires are widely known to have "soft" sidewalls. Give them a chance I bet they will grow on you. There is a learning curve on the DWS and the DW. Like I said earlier I am on the DW which are firmer than the DWS but still soft compared to others in its class. It took me a while to appreciate what they can do and how they drive. At first I ran them in the mid to high 40's psi but after much trial and error I have settled on 37-39 front 34-36 rear. Again I am on a different tire than you so you will have to figure it out yourself.
On a side note, why did you go with a 4 season tire? Do you ski in Tahoe or something? I know 17 can get a bit icy with the occasional dusting of snow. But i know lots of guys who drive 17 all year with summer tires(as long as you drive like a granny when it sucks out).

·
Registered
6,751 Posts
Why did you go with an all season tire for an STI? All season tires are called that because they're lousy in all seasons (mediocre at best!). Your expectation of getting 50k miles out of a set of tires is way out of line too. The basic fact is any tire that you get anywhere close to that many miles out of is going to perform poorly and isn't suitable for a performance car like an STI.

I'd advertise these for sale locally and see if you can get money back to put towards a quality set of summer-specific tires. However, you need to throw that 50k mileage goal out the window or else realize you're going to get lousy performance.

I had them inflated to 45 psi today. I will try them at there max 51 psi tomorrow, i suspect this will not help the side wall flex but it is worth a shot.
Definitely do NOT do this. You don't fix sidewall flex by overinflating tires. You're also going to totally ruin the wear pattern on the tires, plus you're going to get terrible performance because you'll be running on the center of the tire the majority of the time due to the increased pressure. You get the best overall street performance from any tire by running the manufacturer's recommended pressure.

·
Premium Member
25,496 Posts
Why did you go with an all season tire for an STI? All season tires are called that because they're lousy in all seasons (mediocre at best!). Your expectation of getting 50k miles out of a set of tires is way out of line too. The basic fact is any tire that you get anywhere close to that many miles out of is going to perform poorly and isn't suitable for a performance car like an STI.

I'd advertise these for sale locally and see if you can get money back to put towards a quality set of summer-specific tires. However, you need to throw that 50k mileage goal out the window or else realize you're going to get lousy performance.

Definitely do NOT do this. You don't fix sidewall flex by overinflating tires. You're also going to totally ruin the wear pattern on the tires, plus you're going to get terrible performance because you'll be running on the center of the tire the majority of the time due to the increased pressure. You get the best overall street performance from any tire by running the manufacturer's recommended pressure.
yup.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Yup+2^^^
Personally I don't like all season tires. I feel you are better off getting great summer tires and if you live or play in the snow, get the cheapest wheels that fit over your brakes with a great snow tire.

Edit: The DWS is supposed to be a very good all season tire though.

·
Pro Manscaper
21,455 Posts
Yup+2^^^
Personally I don't like all season tires. I feel you are better off getting great summer tires and if you live or play in the snow, get the cheapest wheels that fit over your brakes with a great snow tire.

Edit: The DWS is supposed to be a very good all season tire though.
I can't see how that can be if two of the 4 seasons (spring/summer), they suck for driving in dry conditions. Hell...look at the tread pattern: they look 10x more like snow tires than an all-season.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I did say it was a very good ALL SEASON TIRE. That is comparing apples to apples. Not all season to a good summer tire.
This is not from personal experiance, just a couple of friends a quick drive and the many reviews.

·
Pro Manscaper
21,455 Posts
I did say it was a very good ALL SEASON TIRE. That is comparing apples to apples. Not all season to a good summer tire.
This is not from personal experiance, just a couple of friends a quick drive and the many reviews.
I know what you are saying...I'm just saying that it's quite funny if you ask me...that an ALL SEASON TIRE...sucks in half of the seasons. It should at least be decent in ALL SEASONS. Not pick and choose which season it likes best :rotfl:

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

I am new to preformance cars. My Yaris did not care what tires were on it. LOL
Do you have any suggestions on summer tires that will preform properly?

·
Pro Manscaper
21,455 Posts
I just got Cooper Zeon RS3-Ss...so far these things effing rock! About 1k miles on them since May and they are doing well. Great grip, great ride, excellent wet traction in rain, and the handling is impeccable. And for the price? No brainer IMO.

Search for them on Discounttiredirect.com

·
Registered
966 Posts
As for summer tires, I'm still rockin' them stock dunlops. And for winter, gotta rep the Blizzacks, they perform like crazy

·
Registered
6,751 Posts
What's your budget?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts