ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
553 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
wondering if anyone has removed their factory A/C or power steering?

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
No, but I'm planning to get rid of the AC "soon" Powersteering is nice to have, even on a rally car... ;) Subscribing to the thread in case some usefull info stick to this thread ;)

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
I'm not sure what you're using your car for, but unless you're really going hardcore, I'd venture to say it's probably not worth it. There isn't a whole lot of weight to save, my guess'd be in the neighborhood of 20lbs or less, and it's not really robbing you of much power. If it's not turned on, the AC clutch is disengaged and it's spinning freely on the serpentine belt.

On the 944 board I used to be on, people talked about an AC delete bracked you could buy if you were going to go ahead and do it, which was just a bracket with a free spinning pulley on it that'd let you use stock spec belts. I'm not sure if such a piece exists for us, but it might be worth looking in to.

·
Registered
553 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i just dont like having all that crap in there cuz it takes up so much space in the engine bay making it harder to work on. most of my cars i have either removed the ac cuz it didnt work like my MX6 or it just never had it like my MR2's, 924, RX7

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
JeremyL said:
i just dont like having all that crap in there cuz it takes up so much space in the engine bay making it harder to work on. most of my cars i have either removed the ac cuz it didnt work like my MX6 or it just never had it like my MR2's, 924, RX7
Removing working ac is a bit different though.. :) Then again, I'm living in Alabama.

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
I never use the ac and 20Lbs is alot of weight!! Add that to the spare wheel I have removed + all the tools and you have a much lighter car...

I know you can feel how much better the cars goes with only you in the car.. 1 passanger extra you can feel easily on perfomance..

Removing ac gives perfomance and frees up space in the enginebay.

Anyone have some info on the topic?

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
20 lbs when compared to a 3000 lb car really isnt much.

it wouldnt make a noteable differnce... even 100 lbs probably wouldn't

Check out SCC's article where they totally stripped a Sentra and eventually got the car down to just the engine and the powertrain to see how fast they could make it without any mods.

"a carbon fiber hood is light, No hood is even lighter"

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
amukaoen said:
20 lbs when compared to a 3000 lb car really isnt much.

it wouldnt make a noteable differnce... even 100 lbs probably wouldn't

Check out SCC's article where they totally stripped a Sentra and eventually got the car down to just the engine and the powertrain to see how fast they could make it without any mods.

"a carbon fiber hood is light, No hood is even lighter"
Do you mean you cannot feel the diffrence in performance when you have 1 or 2 passangers in your car? I can easily feel one extra person in my car.

Dry weight of my car is less than 3000lbs and with all tha junk I have got rid of (like spare wheel) it's even lighter.. The AC is completly worthless for me. I never use it, it weights alot (pump, wireing, belt, piping, and the cooler (big radiator thingy) )
Where can I loose wheight if I can even get rid of something useless?

I need a hood, I don't need the AC. Please lets get back on subject..
Anyone have some info about how to get rid of the ac? and downsides besides that you don't have a ac...

·
Registered
553 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I would not remove working a/c. The reason i pulled it out of my MX6 is because it went bad and wasnt worth my time or money to fix. Once the A/C in the WRX starts to cost me money (and isnt warrantied) and my wife is no longer driving it I will yank it immediately. If there was some kind of manual rack that would work in place of the power rack I would yank that too.

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
Roffa said:
Do you mean you cannot feel the diffrence in performance when you have 1 or 2 passangers in your car? I can easily feel one extra person in my car.
I said 100 lbs probably wouldnt make that big of a differnce, not 300 lbs. unless you're passangers are 10 years old they'd weigh more then 100 each.

anyways.

If you really want to remove it, go for it. Id talk to "stealth_wrx" over on nasioc. He's a really nice guy and has his WRX modded to hell and back (450 awhp) If anyone's taken out their AC, he'd be my first guess.

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
amukaoen said:
I said 100 lbs probably wouldnt make that big of a differnce, not 300 lbs. unless you're passangers are 10 years old they'd weigh more then 100 each.

anyways.

If you really want to remove it, go for it. Id talk to "stealth_wrx" over on nasioc. He's a really nice guy and has his WRX modded to hell and back (450 awhp) If anyone's taken out their AC, he'd be my first guess.
Well i guess my friends weight about 130lbs on average.. I don't drive agressive with more than one passanger. I definatly feel it makes the car slower, more dangerous to take highspeed turns (espessially with people in the back) and makes it difficult to fight with my friends cars and harder to drift on gravel :)

I'll check on nasoic, I have alot of questions I need to ask there now ;)

·
Registered
359 Posts
I removed my A/C. One its dead weight to me. Two, if I want to use A/C I'll drive one of my other cars if its that hot. Three, my WRX is not intended to be a every day street car. :)

·
Registered
194 Posts
The AC is gone in my car, had to make room for the IHI VF22 and its other stuff.

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
How did you remove it?
You got a new belt, oem subaru? you removed the pump, cooling and piping?
Did you have any problem with the rest of the climatecontrol functions?

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
J o H n N i said:
The AC is gone in my car, had to make room for the IHI VF22 and its other stuff.
Why did you need to make room for a VF22?
Roffa said:
How did you remove it?
You got a new belt, oem subaru? you removed the pump, cooling and piping?
Did you have any problem with the rest of the climatecontrol functions?
I'm just speculating, but since A/C is standard on pretty much everything here you might need to get a belt for a JDM Spec C.

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
Personally I think the best reason to remove it is to flip the intake manifold and reduce the length of the intake tract. And the engine bay looks so much better without all the clutter. Although I do like my A/C when the windows are fogged up.

·
Registered
476 Posts
I know this thread is about removing the AC, but here's an interesting idea that saved me 17 lbs. in the engine bay. Replace your stock battery (31 lb) with a Genesis racing battery (14 lbs). Mine has performed flawlessly through two nasty New England winters.

Or remove the AC and get the lightweight battery as well!

PS
If you leave your windshield washer level at the bottom curve of the plastic tank you can save an additional 7 lbs and still be able to clean your windshield fifteen or twenty times! :D

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
zoinks said:
Personally I think the best reason to remove it is to flip the intake manifold and reduce the length of the intake tract. And the engine bay looks so much better without all the clutter. Although I do like my A/C when the windows are fogged up.
Got a pic?

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
Geekqualizer said:
I know this thread is about removing the AC, but here's an interesting idea that saved me 17 lbs. in the engine bay. Replace your stock battery (31 lb) with a Genesis racing battery (14 lbs). Mine has performed flawlessly through two nasty New England winters.

Or remove the AC and get the lightweight battery as well!

PS
If you leave your windshield washer level at the bottom curve of the plastic tank you can save an additional 7 lbs and still be able to clean your windshield fifteen or twenty times! :D
Lighter battery - done
Remove junk - done
Remove jack and spare wheel - done
Remove oem tools - done (replaced with leatherman)
Remove unwanted passangers - done
Replace heavy girlfriend with lighter one - done
Remove AC - under progress
Flipping intake - when I get my new engine (1 year + from now ;) )

Removing back seats -- hmm.. No I still need them, I'll remove them when I get a new dailydriver and fit a rollcage..

·
Registered
476 Posts
Well, if you want to go a step or two further you can remove your towing hooks (in the back) and your glove compartment counterweight for another 5 lbs.

If no one EVER rides in the back seat you can remove all three seat belt assemblies for 8 lbs more! I weighed my rear seats which I put back and they are good for 28 lbs with bolts. This really changed the road noise inside the car.

Weight is indeed the enemy of speed. In the SCC experiment alluded to above they were gaining roughly a tenth of a second in the quarter for every 75 lbs removed. :cool:

1 - 20 of 28 Posts