ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 117 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i been browsing these forums very consistently for over 2 months and have never seen anyone mention putting a chip on their car for performance...

this is the chip i am thinking about getting...

SUBARU IMPREZA WRX GF Peformance Chip

was wondering if anyone has any insight if chips are good, or bad, what may result that i am not expecting and etc.

thanks for any help!

·
Æternum
20,594 Posts
Think this through. If a $40 "chip" supposedly improves horsepower, fuel economy, and is safe, don't you think that Subaru would have installed this "chip" on the car from the factory? No. It's a scam. I've heard reports that this actually fools your car into running only in open-loop fueling, while backing off the fueling to run lean. Not a good plan. If you're interested in TRUE engine/fueling management, I suggest to read the following:

Engine Management FAQ: Read if you are thinking of buying one! - NASIOC

·
Master Baiter
22,114 Posts
Chips aren't common. We reflash the ECU instead. Check out the Cobb AP or Romraider/Tactrix

·
Pro Manscaper
21,455 Posts
These CHiPs are cool.

And I'm hungry...so I'll have these chips with lunch.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i suppose you are right with the price for what it claims to do...i was just hoping to get some more power and better fuel economy without having to spend the 1000 on a tune plus drive the 14 hours round trip to the nearest town that has someone who does tunes....

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Got a Laptop?
Tactrix cable (180) Free software (Romraider/Learning view) and an e-mail tune to Stage1 if not modified (~100)...

·
Æternum
20,594 Posts
i suppose you are right with the price for what it claims to do...i was just hoping to get some more power and better fuel economy without having to spend the 1000 on a tune plus drive the 14 hours round trip to the nearest town that has someone who does tunes....
What tuners have quoted you 1000 dollars? Most charge $500 for a dyno session and full tune.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Could be 500 for the accessport and 500 for the pro tune

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
yes exactly...500 for accessport and 500 for tune is 1000...plus the 14 hour round trip drive and hotel costs...so i am lookng at upwards 1500 just to get a dang tune....there has to be other options...and i was hoping this chip would be one.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Look up torqued performance. Eric Mineheart is my tuner. He's amazing. You would need either a tactrix cable or a accessport

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
yes exactly...500 for accessport and 500 for tune is 1000...plus the 14 hour round trip drive and hotel costs...so i am lookng at upwards 1500 just to get a dang tune....there has to be other options...and i was hoping this chip would be one.
What are you driving? If you have an 08+ you could always hit up Eric Mineheart at Torqued Performance and get an e-tune. I'd recommend an e-tune regardless though if your nearest tuner is 7 hours away.

·
Captain James of the SS Impreza has gone down with
8,921 Posts
What are you driving? If you have an 08+ you could always hit up Eric Mineheart at Torqued Performance and get an e-tune. I'd recommend an e-tune regardless though if your nearest tuner is 7 hours away.
I would not recommend that at all. I would say get the AP and keep your car simple. Go stage 2 and stay there. You'll be happy with the gains there and it will only be the cost of an AP and a downpipe.

·
Registered
4,319 Posts
I would not recommend that at all. I would say get the AP and keep your car simple. Go stage 2 and stay there. You'll be happy with the gains there and it will only be the cost of an AP and a downpipe.
Or just go stage 1 tune with the AP, I heard thats decent too if you don't want to do any other mods.

·
8,921 Posts
Or just go stage 1 tune with the AP, I heard thats decent too if you don't want to do any other mods.
Another option that is good. Although for the 3rd gens I don't think the increase is all that much for stage 1.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Are you high? You're recommending the use of the crappy OTS maps that come with the AP over the use of maps that are adjusted for the car? I've heard plenty of issues with the Cobb maps, zero for Eric's tunes, especially since all he tunes are the 3rd gens.

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Torqued Performance is what I was talking about. And not AP, OpenPort cable is a lot cheaper...

·
Premium Member
4,376 Posts
Are you high? You're recommending the use of the crappy OTS maps that come with the AP over the use of maps that are adjusted for the car? I've heard plenty of issues with the Cobb maps, zero for Eric's tunes, especially since all he tunes are the 3rd gens.
eTunes take a lot more work in the end than an AP. Also, a lot of work went into the OTS base maps from Cobb - never know with an eTune. I enjoyed my eTune for a while until I looked into it more, drove a different STi, and realized I need a better tune.

Both are good options. I'd recommend the AP in the end after my experiences, even though they were generally good. I also haven't had a Cobb OTS map before.

Either way, both are roughly equivalent in the end. Not enough to put Drews down for sure. If the guys asking about chippin' his car, I would recommend the AP no questions asked.

·
8,921 Posts
They aren't crappy they are safe. There is a difference. Please enlighten me, since you seem to know it all when it comes to style and performance, why the Cobb maps are crappy? Do you regularly install and adjust Cobb maps to make them better or even just use them on a day to day basis? I'd really like to know where you get your information from. Because last I checked, Cobb is still in business. If they were crappy they wouldn't be. For the OP's situation I absolutely suggest a Cobb OTS map. It's simple, safe and effective. It's also not going to take a whole lot of time for him to do data logging. For all you know, he may not even have a lap top to flash his car with. All you do is make vague assumptions that have nothing to do with topic. And instead of contributing effectively, you get incredibly defensive or you lash out when someone has a different opinion than you. I have nothing to say about TP because I've never dealt with them. I've heard good things and that's where my experience with them stops. Go off-roading in your stage rally car and then come back and contribute to the forum effectively. Or click the logout button. Either way, I'd be much happier.

Reactions: wrxtreme06
1 - 20 of 117 Posts