ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
OK……maybe this is not a popular deck.

I was looking at double din HUs but the ones I was interested in don't have REAR aux. and usb inputs, have relatively low power, or have a hugh screen that screams "Steal me!". They have one or both on the front which means having a cable hanging down in front of the dash…..not the cleanest look.

I like the Kenwood for:

Relatively high RMS power 22w, rear usb AND aux. inputs, bluetooth and steering wheel control adaptable.

I am hoping to not need an amp (we'll see) and thought this HU with new speakers might just do the trick.

I would welcome any options that would have the features I need….under $400 or so.

Thanks

·
Registered
2,663 Posts
I will say, even with slightly tinted windows you can't even tell its in my dash looking in my windows.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I hope this may still be helpful, and I'm not reviving an old thread for naught.

I have this head unit in my Jeep, and will hopefully be moving into my WRX tomorrow.

My main complaint is that glare is a pretty big issue with it. During the day, I can only have the white or bright green background if I want the text to be visible at all. Other than that, it's great. I especially am looking forward to matching it's colors to the WRX, most likely red buttons with white screen, or vice-versa.

In my Jeep, I had the front speakers replaced with some mid-quality Kenwood 3-way speakers, and left the rear speakers stock. Two 12" Kenwood Tornado subs powered by a Rockford Fosgate amp (600 watt maybe, can't recall off the top of my head) and the head unit controlled everything fine.

I find it's integration with my iPhone works really well. Nearly the same as the BlueTooth / Hands Free with the WRX (HOWEVER, it DOES NOT have bluetooth music streaming, I think it's successor KDC-x996 does though).

·
Registered
28 Posts
I hope this may still be helpful, and I'm not reviving an old thread for naught.

I have this head unit in my Jeep, and will hopefully be moving into my WRX tomorrow.

My main complaint is that glare is a pretty big issue with it. During the day, I can only have the white or bright green background if I want the text to be visible at all. Other than that, it's great. I especially am looking forward to matching it's colors to the WRX, most likely red buttons with white screen, or vice-versa.

In my Jeep, I had the front speakers replaced with some mid-quality Kenwood 3-way speakers, and left the rear speakers stock. Two 12" Kenwood Tornado subs powered by a Rockford Fosgate amp (600 watt maybe, can't recall off the top of my head) and the head unit controlled everything fine.

I find it's integration with my iPhone works really well. Nearly the same as the BlueTooth / Hands Free with the WRX (HOWEVER, it DOES NOT have bluetooth music streaming, I think it's successor KDC-x996 does though).

Thats funny, I have it in my Jeep as well. It is not bright enough to be seen in the sunlight. Has a bunch of colors to change it to but they are not bright. Hands free barely works but I have alot of road noise in my 06 Rubicon softtop. I have a droid bionic and it DOES stream bluetooth mp3's as well as pandora from android.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts