Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Not yet. I haven't even gotten my WRX yet. Gonna be getting a MY03 me hopes. ;)

But, when I do, the Cobb Stage I will be on my list of mods.

If you do get the Cobb kit on your WRX, please let us know what you think of it.

Have fun,
-=John=-

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Cobb is in Texas and I live on the East Coast so it is a little far to drive. They also have an all-wheel dyno which is what you need to dial it in right.

Cobb has said that a Porsche mod shop in Atlanta (with an all wheel dyno) might be online in a month or two to do WRX's. So if that happens, Atlanta is a lot closer and I'll most likely get in done in the next 3-6 months.

Will post if the Atlanta shop moves forward.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I hear what ya mean about the distance. I'd have to go to Arizona from Northern California. But I think the kit and the dyno-tune would be worth it. Let us know how it goes. I await anxiously to get mine.

Good Luck,
-=John=-

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I definitely think it would be worth it. I would rather spend a little more money and get a complete power upgrade w/unichip, exhaust, etc. and have it dynoed vs. putting on a $100 MBC and cranking it up....

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
WRX44,

Manual Boost controllers can cost as little as $10 if you make it yourself or as much as $80 is you buy a pretty Turbo XS MBC. Most popular are the Joe P MBC www.boostcontroller.com and the Dawe's Device www.dawesdevice.com which are complete kit for under $50. Where did you come up with $100?

The Cobb Tuning APS Stage 1 is $2600 and promises mid 13 second quarter mile times. I've got less than $400 in my motor and I'm running consistent 13.8-13.9 second runs. With the understanding that getting to 13.4 with the stock turbo is a pain in the butt (and that's what the Stage 1 system does), it is impressive, but I think I'll wait until I squeeze all the performance I can out of my car and get bored with running high-mid 13's.

My goal is nmyeti range: Mid 12's. I'll most likely have to save A HUGE amount of CASH, buy another car and pull the WRX off of the road for a while to accomplish this, but I would LOVE to have a 12 second car!

-Jim

·
Moderating on the run!
7,322 Posts
I visited with Trey at Cobb and was told they will soon have a plug & play setup for their unichip. This is an important consideration for myself.

They currently have four or five affiliated shops that will do installs. Unfortunately, I don't believe any of them yet have all wheel drive dynos (except Cobb ofcourse). Their price includes dyno testing- which I also consider important due to the many variables- ie mods done, elevation, gas availibility (octane), etc, but this requires a trip to Texas.

Cobb's site shows their stage 1 dyno runs and they are impressive- some good torque improvements as well as horsepower gains throughout the rpm range. All of these gains at close to stock boost.

Hopefully some of their affiliated shops will get dynos and their pug and play system will come to fruit.

Big Sky WRX

·
Registered
9 Posts
The Cobb RT spec (stage 2) will get you 12.80's with a neck snapping 4.3 0-60 times. But for $4800.

It all depends on what you want from your car. I don't plan on drag racing my car because of the trans, and wouldn't want to put that much money in it and find it would be a bear to drive on the street. I'd like more power but want to keep it reliable and streetable for a daily driver. No matter what you do their will always be a faster car out there. I guess that's what makes horseraces. : )

Have fun,
-=John=-

·
Registered
197 Posts
I have recently ordered the stage I kit, which they tell me will be shipped without the unichip. They are waiting for the tool that they need to manufacture the connector that will plug directly into the computer. I have seen their cat back exhaust on a customers car, and the quality is exceptional, as is that of the APS BOV that I have on my car. I placed the order 2 weeks ago and havent been charged for it yet, so I can only assume that it has not yet been shipped. I will be installing everything except the intake - as they say it requires the unichip to control fuel metering with the amount of air it will flow. They have assured me that the "plug-and-play" unichip will be ready in the next two months. But then again they also told me I would have the rest of the kit by the new year.... Ill keep you all posted on how the rest goes.

Speed Safely,

Joe
[email protected]

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
Joe,

Turbo XS told me that there is a two to three month wait on the Unichip. Get out your patience hat!

Are you going to be able to tune your Unichip yourself or are you just going to run with their base setup (which is still really good)?

-Jim

·
Registered
197 Posts
Well as I understand it (althought I may be mistaken) Cobb has the unichips themselves in stock, and programmed - they are just waiting to make the harnesses. But at any rate Ill have the turbo back exhaust and I still have the AVC-R - so its not like im driving a slow car, or even a stock car! So I can wait.

As far as programming myself, Im going to take a break on perfromance mods for a while after the Stage 1 kit, and taking some time to improve the suspention and breaking. But of course later performance mods will require remapping.

Speed safely,

Joe

·
Registered
57 Posts
if i remember correctly cobb has unichips installed and they are pre programmed. getting it tuned with your car on the dyno should give you about 7-10 more whp compared to the pre programmed map.

as far as getting them dyno tuned, cobb is looking into getting a few shops aroung the country with 4wheel dynos to do the tuning.

the mbc thing can be bad watch out on going too high on boost its easy to add boost, but without managing air feul it can be bad for your car. the stage 1 is getting a lot of power with only a little more boost.

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
That is true. I had forgotten that Cobb doesn't really bump up the boost that much with their power packages.

As far as MBC being dangerous, I don't buy it. Obviously if you aren't careful, you can damage the car, but most people on clubwrx.net have read and heed the advice of those of us who have boosted our cars. As long as you keep the boost below 17psi, the car runs a lot better without too much detriment to reliability. There are lots of ways to destroy a car and I have seen or done a lot of them. It is all about due care and taking your time to get it right!

-Jim

·
Registered
197 Posts
The truth is that you can do just as much damage with an EBC or any other computer mod as with a MBC. The fact that Cobb only uses about 15 psi to make all that power, and that their cars are supposed to have LOADs of torque, is simply fantastic. Plus ive worked on cars that have alot of miles on them with CT modifications - and they seem to hold up. Besides - with the japanese versions of our cars pushing 280 hp from the factory - im sure well be fine.

Speed safely,

Joe
[email protected]

·
Registered
41 Posts
Anyone have APS-Cobb ClubSpec kit installed?

Looking to take the plunge and attack the performance upgrade. I installed a high performance manual boost controller, the K&N, and did the silencer deal, but these are the cheap mods. I had fun and noticed some difference (of course since I upped the boost). Looking for consistent, reliable, and more importantly tested permanency in an upgrade...hence my query regarding the APS-Cobb upgrade kit - the ClubSpec. I like the fact that it is a set of matched modifications with a computer module upgrade/piggyback that has these mods dialed in. Thinking that in and of themselves, an exhaust here, intake there, and other additions now and then - well I'm just not sure how reliable they would be in unity or if I were getting the most of each upgrade. I like the sound of this kit and there are dyno results in comparison to real life horsepower and torque (not the 227 but 176 stock - which some will probably argue). I know it sounds as if I have my mind made up, but as I've seen before and with this being a new model to us - has anyone done this kit and if so, what's up? They're advertising (and I'm assuming that since they have tested numbers of dyno results that these figures are somewhat accurate) a horsepower of 222 at the wheels and a 0-60 of 4.6 clocking in at 13.4 at the 1/4 trap. The cost of this is $2600 without word as to whether it is customer install friendly/allowed or costs for such installment.http://www.cobbtuning.com/aps-cobb/aps/csperformance.html

·
Registered
41 Posts
Wow thanks to all for their input! I realize the RT-Spec with Cobb is nearly 5 g's, but I've also read that their packages are very reliable. The first kit (Club Spec) is under 3 Thow, but since I'm in WA, I'd have to drive to get it installed? Not only that, is installation extra since they're subletting to other shops? This could get expensive and I agree that there are other cars out there that are faster - a viscious cycle. I'll continue to read more on this and will tell all.

Thanks again!

·
1,911 Posts
I'm also working on different packages. The base one will be 315HP or so at just over $4000 but that includes the PE turbo, uppipe/downpipe/exhaust and an SBC-id/Unichip combo. It is upgradable to the 375 HP package which is STi injectors/PE fuel pump/Blitz intercooler/plugs. And then of course I have the 480+ HP package with HKS/Garrett turbo but to do that one I need the car here.

·
Premium Member
785 Posts
Dan, will the turbo in the first two packages mentioned come with a PE1818 or a 1820? Do you have any prelim dynos for the PE and the Garrett package setups? Thanks once again, you've been most helpful.

Vince

·
Registered
228 Posts
God said:
I'm also working on different packages. The base one will be 315HP or so at just over $4000 but that includes the PE turbo, uppipe/downpipe/exhaust and an SBC-id/Unichip combo. It is upgradable to the 375 HP package which is STi injectors/PE fuel pump/Blitz intercooler/plugs. And then of course I have the 480+ HP package with HKS/Garrett turbo but to do that one I need the car here.

GOD: you get that package.. im SOLD on it.. because thats everything that i want! The 375hp package with injectors and such... maybe you could cut me a deal on it since i already have the up-pipe and SBC-id hehehheee:p YOU have what ive been looking for in a package.

·
1,911 Posts
It's no poblem. I have put these packages together for a few people already. Everyone is very happy. We use either the 1818 or the 1820 depending on what the needs are for that person. Some folks don't ever plan on going to stage II so the 1818 is best for response. If the person think he or she may go to stage II then we say go for the 1820. It just all depends on what the customer wants.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts