ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
3,490 Posts
Not real sure on a price since I haven't done it yet but I know places like Jiffy Lube will do it.

I would *guess* between 50 and 100 bucks though.

I think you could probably do it yourself if you wanted. I believe they just drain the lines and refill/pressurize them. The only problem is where to put the old chemicals after you have drained them. That is some nasty stuff.

·
Registered
3,490 Posts
Speaking of AC's, mine has been smelling kinda funny lately. I assume its a little mold or something. Anyone know how to get rid of it? I thought I read something a while back about turning on the AC with the heat set all the way up but I haven't tried it yet.

·
Banned
12,156 Posts
mike270 said:
:confused:

I think he was saying it is free to have the AC tested to see if it needs a recharge.
:eek:

oh.

the musty smell can be fixed with some ventilation spray. you should be able to find some at your local auto parts store.
either that, or just run it for a little while on recirc with the windows open.

dR

·
Registered
206 Posts
speaking of A/C times 2....

Mine smells horrible quite often, I have always thought it was a freon leak or something, it smells more when I accelerate fast. I always think I'm poisoning my self with what ever the smell is, then I think again, and realize if I am getting poisoned and get sick, I will bribe Subaru to give me an STi :D ....if i dont die that is.

Second, are your A/Cs very loud while idleing? Can you can hear it go on and off (the fan) Mine is pretty violent, it shakes the car a little and is somewhat loud.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
FYI Napa currenly has a can of refrigerant with a synthetic additive that claims 18% colder air. Enough for one complete recharge is 18 dolla.

You can have my refridgerant if we can recover it and place it in your car and I will give NAPA a shot.

·
Registered
3,490 Posts
Xenotaku said:
speaking of A/C times 2....

Mine smells horrible quite often, I have always thought it was a freon leak or something, it smells more when I accelerate fast. I always think I'm poisoning my self with what ever the smell is, then I think again, and realize if I am getting poisoned and get sick, I will bribe Subaru to give me an STi :D ....if i dont die that is.
I bet you have the same thing I do. I am pretty sure it is just mildew. If there was a leak the air wouldn't be getting very cold. I am going to try the methods above for getting rid of it. I like the idea of making Subaru give you an STi though. :)

Xenotaku said:
Second, are your A/Cs very loud while idleing? Can you can hear it go on and off (the fan) Mine is pretty violent, it shakes the car a little and is somewhat loud.
Yes, and the rpms jump when the compressor comes on. As far as I know this is normal. It does the same thing when you select the defogger. The AC compressor is turned on to dry out the air more and make the defogger more effective.:D

·
Registered
3,490 Posts
Mad WRX said:
Mine is blowing out pretty warm. I just noticed it when I got my car back from the tranny work, so I dunno if something isn't hooked up right or if I need to get it recharged.
Just a thought, did you make sure that the heat dial wasn't bumped to the warm side?:p

·
Registered
542 Posts
Mine is kicking out warm with 40K on the car. The dealer wanted 100 bucks to check and charge if necessary, but my refrigerent was fine. They said my expansion valve is hosed and I could have it fixed w/o the parts being warrantied for a year for ~500 bucks or I could have all the work done for 950 and have it warrantied. Since I'm outside my original 3/36K mile warranty I wasn't prepared to eat either bill. The claim I HAVE to get a new evaporater core along with the expansion valve/o-rings. Through subaruparts.com, all the parts they claim to need come out to ~430 and they want an additional 500 for labor!!!! If I just get the expansion valve and o-rings i'm lookin at ~75 for parts plus shipping :rolleyes: Kinda makes me miss my warranty.

·
Registered
206 Posts
mike270 said:
I bet you have the same thing I do. I am pretty sure it is just mildew. If there was a leak the air wouldn't be getting very cold. I am going to try the methods above for getting rid of it. I like the idea of making Subaru give you an STi though. :)

Yes, and the rpms jump when the compressor comes on. As far as I know this is normal. It does the same thing when you select the defogger. The AC compressor is turned on to dry out the air more and make the defogger more effective.:D

Thanks dude, ya just made my day. All this time I thought I was going to drop dead one day from freon in my lungs or something. Thanks for the helpfull notes.

·
Registered
4,858 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
So the other day I'm driving on the highway and I see smoke / mist coming out of the vents. :eek: I turn off the ac button and it goes away. Turn it on and it comes back.

sigh

I'll have them look at it on Friday when I take my car in to find out why the tranny is leaking :mad:

1 - 20 of 26 Posts