Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have researched from the NHTSA website that people have actually crashed into numerous objects, cars, poles, flipped whole car due to there ABS being too sensitive and lenghty in the interuption time!

Was or is this an early production problem with the car or has Subaru quietly reprogrammed the ABS at some point in production?

What's the general consensus about ABS and the fact that it will take over all 4 wheels stopping power even if only one wheel starts to skid??

I will be testing my car which was bought on Easter 2002 from Culver City, CA to see if this problem is there. If so, I will promtply be de-installing my ABS fuse.

Check out http://www.nhtsa.org for more information.

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
You may want to try a search here and i-club. There's been plenty of discussion.

I used to notice the problem once in a while, but don't now with my summer tires. I have pulled the fuse for autox to give better modulation, but always leave it in for the road.

tcc

·
Premium Member
785 Posts
Personally I have always hated ABS in terms of your typical street car. On this car, the ABS is especially intrusive if you left foot brake.

·
895 Posts
i installed an abs disengage button on my wrx - honestly i dont use it unless im autoxing or something like that that doesnt involve public roads. also, i prefer the abs to be on when traction gets slippery (ie rain) hope this helps

·
Registered
260 Posts
where is the fuse/relay for the ABS?

·
Registered
99 Posts
Yeah, I took the fuse out also. The ABS implementation on the WRX is an abject failure, at least on dry pavement.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
apparently the nhtsa is investigating the WRX's ABS brake system, which is a good thing, because a few times just braking normally over a little bump will set it off and reduce my braking distance greatly. big safety issue in my mind. just gotta watch out for that sort of stuff, hopefully subaru will recall it though, good luck with that though :)

·
Registered
525 Posts
Nothing "wrong" with the abs, but it's a bit to sensitive for my taste. I have had 2 episodes where my hart start beating faster because the abs kicked in on a bumpy road. I must admit that the abs was much better on my audi.

But then again it is possible to "pumpbrake" with abs as you would have done with an non abs car.

On roads with normal driving there should be no problem with the abs and it's good to have for novice drivers or people that are used to drive abs enabled cars. Because they tend to stand on the brake in case of an emergency.
For drivers with lots of experience with driving non abs cars on slippery surface the abs is still a nice tool to have, but not "that" much needed.

But I would not like to argue with my incurance company why the abs was turned off is I slam into something ! I'm guessing you will get little or no money from them..

I'm planning to make a switch for the abs my self, will use the abs on reguar driving, but whenever I drive to hard and fast(every day) or are driving on the track I'll turn it off.

I have not driven the wrx on snow yet so I'm excited to try when the snow gets here in a few weeks :D

·
Registered
470 Posts
for people that have a lot of problems w/ the ABS try better tires.. I noticed chickencow pointed out he doesn't seem to have the same problem on his summer tires...

I would contend that the stock RE-92's are so aweful for traction that they casue the ABS to kick in much to often... I used to hate my ABS... then I got good tires and really haven't had an issue since.

·
Registered
525 Posts
I have good enough tires. The abs "problem" is not really a problem on regular driving.. Every time I have had problems with the abs is in the worst case senario.

Twice the speed limit in a turn and hard breaking, the abs should engage in those situations, but the abs does not know that I'm still in control.. What I miss mostly is for the abs to let go faster.. It feels like it much more sensitive than on my audi, and when it engage it doesnt turn of that quickly as I would like..

So therefor when ever i race I would perfer to have a switch installed..

One other thing, I don't know how much truth there is in this but.. On my brothers evo6 he was told that the abs (when engaged) destroys the brakes. Ha has ferrodo 3000 pads and some upgraded ferrodo disks.. This may have something to do with the brakes beeing set up for raceing and not regular driving !?:confused:

·
Premium Member
785 Posts
Roffa said:

But then again it is possible to "pumpbrake" with abs as you would have done with an non abs car.

I have not driven the wrx on snow yet so I'm excited to try when the snow gets here in a few weeks :D
You live in Norway and you haven't driven your 02 Impreza on snow??? :eek: Strange, but anyways, I'm used to driving non ABS cars and I have to say the threshold braking as the ABS kicks in over bumps, snow and ice is not a pleasant feeling. The ABS also interferes with left foot braking applications....
As for pumping you brakes, I have no idea why one would employ such a poor technique.

·
Registered
525 Posts
schischwein said:
You live in Norway and you haven't driven your 02 Impreza on snow??? :eek: Strange, but anyways, I'm used to driving non ABS cars and I have to say the threshold braking as the ABS kicks in over bumps, snow and ice is not a pleasant feeling. The ABS also interferes with left foot braking applications....
As for pumping you brakes, I have no idea why one would employ such a poor technique.
I got my wrx 4 months ago and there is no snow in norway yet..
There is no polar bears in norway either.. (at least not on the main land):rolleyes:
I'm not sure what thershold mean, but what I ment with "pumpbraking" is braking as hard as you can without lock up the wheels, if they lock up you instantly let go on the brake to regain control over the steering, then brake again..
I think this is the same as threshold braking, but i'm not sure.. (sorry, I'm really bad in english)

As far as I know this is the "only" and best way to stop a non abs car.

·
Premium Member
785 Posts
Roffa said:
I got my wrx 4 months ago and there is no snow in norway yet..
There is no polar bears in norway either.. (at least not on the main land):rolleyes:
I'm not sure what thershold mean, but what I ment with "pumpbraking" is braking as hard as you can without lock up the wheels, if they lock up you instantly let go on the brake to regain control over the steering, then brake again..
I think this is the same as threshold braking, but i'm not sure.. (sorry, I'm really bad in english)

As far as I know this is the "only" and best way to stop a non abs car.
Yeah that would basically be threshold braking...."pump" braking as most people refer to it is a technique where the driver stomps hard on the brake continuously to prevent a lockup skid. One could see it as the driver makes continuous mini lockups coming to a panic stop.

And before you categorise me as some American from the south, WE IN FACT DO HAVE POLAR BEARS(not that they live near civilisation).....I live in Canada. I wasn't aware that you only got your Impreza this year after the winter.

·
Registered
525 Posts
schischwein said:
Yeah that would basically be threshold braking...."pump" braking as most people refer to it is a technique where the driver stomps hard on the brake continuously to prevent a lockup skid. One could see it as the driver makes continuous mini lockups coming to a panic stop.

And before you categorise me as some American from the south, WE IN FACT DO HAVE POLAR BEARS(not that they live near civilisation).....I live in Canada. I wasn't aware that you only got your Impreza this year after the winter.
Ok, my friend ;) How could you know.. Cars are so expensive here so I had to buy mine used (1 year old) of a dealer.

I'm threshold braking, nice.. Learned a new word today:D
Sometimes in the winter with my Audi A4 (sold) the car was accelerating rather than braking when going down a hill and the abs engaged.. In these situations it is possible to "threshold braking" (well..the wheel will never lock up, but you get the idea)

If i could turn off the abs in those situations I might try locking the wheels to make them "digg in" to the snow if regular braking don't seem to work because of the ABS "interference" \ engaging at all time.. And yes I have been in this situation a few times with my Audi..
Slowly making my way down a snowy hill and if I just look real hard at the brake the abs engaged an you could feel the car accelerating down the hill.. Not a nice feeling (fresh nice and good wintertires)

A switch would be nice to have.. I'll start making it soon ;-) Already "made" a swith for my laserjammer.. I need to make some mods to the swith but it's ok..

·
Registered
260 Posts
either im blind or dumb but i cant find the damn fuse box where exactly is it?

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Shhh it's a secret, don't tell anyone, but I pull the fuse before every auto-x run, does wonders for my times.

Roffa: Your english is better than alot of american's.

schischwein: Polar Bears? You're nuts, get to the sun my man!

JeremyL: You have to pull the change container all the way out of it's "socket".

·
Premium Member
785 Posts
Pker, well Canada is a big country and we obviously reach near the North Pole with our boarder so yeah we have polarbears, but I live in Montreal....hardly arctic climate(we do have our mix of bitter cold to the bone -40C winters and tropical humid summers however)

Roffa, yes cars in general are expensive....North Americans don't seem to acknowledge that and are willing to spend more(mostly credit) to achieve them.

·
Registered
525 Posts
schischwein said:
Pker, well Canada is a big country and we obviously reach near the North Pole with our boarder so yeah we have polarbears, but I live in Montreal....hardly arctic climate(we do have our mix of bitter cold to the bone -40C winters and tropical humid summers however)

Roffa, yes cars in general are expensive....North Americans don't seem to acknowledge that and are willing to spend more(mostly credit) to achieve them.
:eek: Thats colder than norway. We usually have -25C max in the winter where I live. The summers it's nice +25->+28C Iwas in montreal once (big deal you think;)) lol.. I'm glad I was there in the summer:D Yes cars are expensive, tell me about it.. I paid $46666 usd for my car.. Then it was used 1,5 year and had almost 30000 miles on it (47000km) (high taxes in norway!)

"PKer" thanks for the compliment. I try the best I can:)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts