ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
SuperNova
11,901 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So it has been 100-107deg everyday this week which turns my insulated garage into an oven. Next week doesn't look any better either. Does anyone use one of these in their garage to cool it down when they are working?

Amazon.com: KuulAire PACKA53 500 CFM Portable Evaporative Cooling Unit with 325 Square Foot Cooling Capacity, Silver: Home Improvement
Amazon.com: KuulAire PACKA45 Portable Evaporative Cooling Unit with 200 Square Foot Cooling Capacity, 375 CFM, Black: Home Improvement

I know it won't freeze me out, but anything is better than 100+.

Thoughts?

·
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
5,808 Posts
In my experience, swamp coolers just humidify the crap out of whereever I am, making me feel worse. This was in Oregon, too, so largely similiar climate to Nor Cal. $180 seems rediculous for what's essentially an intercooler and spray system....

Do you have a window in your garage, or are willing to cut a hole? I bought a $150 10k BTU window air conditioner from Costco, and it has no problems cooling down our ~800-ish sq foot main floor to under 70 degrees if desired. It's really impressive, and was cake to install. That would be a better choice than a swamp cooler at that price point.

·
SuperNova
11,901 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My garage is insulated, sheet rocked, and without wondows. My exterior siding is stucco with wire mesh and foam. So I am not interested in punching through the wall for the AC unit.

I have a man door that I need to open that I could mount a window unit into, But I'd need to brace the crap out of it, and probably install a pair of wheels top the door at the latch area to take some of the loading.

At my buddies old 3 car garage, we installed a window AC in a piece of 7/8" plywood and nailed to to the man door door frame and left the man door open while we were working on cars. That was a temporary deal just when the days were super hot since it wasn't his house, he was renting.

I looked at the portable AC units but they are pricey at $399 starting, and then you still have to duct out the heat.

The portable evap cooler is a nice option because it requires no permanent installation and I can roll it out of the way to store it.

FWIW I'm only looking to bring the temp down to the mid 80's on a 90deg+ day.

·
Registered
67 Posts
My father has one in his garage and just leave a door open a bit to let air circulate and it gets pretty cool. And they are from Arizona where right now its 115. So I think they work great. And yes they can get kinda humid in there but much better then sweating balls.

·
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
5,808 Posts
My garage is insulated, sheet rocked, and without wondows. My exterior siding is stucco with wire mesh and foam. So I am not interested in punching through the wall for the AC unit.

I looked at the portable AC units but they are pricey at $399 starting, and then you still have to duct out the heat.
Oh yeah, you definitely want to leave the stucco alone then. I would stay away from portable AC units. We have one for our bedroom, and it's quite loud, which would be excusable if it could cool worth a ****, but it can't.

I guess a swamper would be your best bet, but $180 still seems like a ripoff to me. Personally, I'd DIY something or find one on CL, but that's just me.

·
SuperNova
11,901 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My father has one in his garage and just leave a door open a bit to let air circulate and it gets pretty cool. And they are from Arizona where right now its 115. So I think they work great. And yes they can get kinda humid in there but much better then sweating balls.
Do you know about what size of one he has?

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
I would stay away from portable AC units. We have one for our bedroom, and it's quite loud, which would be excusable if it could cool worth a ****, but it can't.
+1. I used a portable one in our bedroom a couple of weeks ago and after an hour of being on, it brought the temperature down from 86º to 83º. Lame. They're really expensive to run too.

·
The Fruit
4,728 Posts
My portable unit works fine.. but you have to size em right for the square footage you're using them in and keeping the ducting short as possible helps too.

·
Registered
6,751 Posts
I've had one in a house here in CO and they work great in the low humidity environment. Since you're in Nor Cal where the humidity is much higher than here, it won't work nearly as well. They're good devices but have to be sized for the space they're in and you need to have low humidity for them to work really well.

They're really expensive to run too.
They're actually very cheap to run, especially compared to an AC.

·
SuperNova
11,901 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I've had one in a house here in CO and they work great in the low humidity environment. Since you're in Nor Cal where the humidity is much higher than here, it won't work nearly as well. They're good devices but have to be sized for the space they're in and you need to have low humidity for them to work really well.
Humidity here really depends on the day during the summer. When it is 100+, humidity is usually less than 19%. When it is in the 90's it can vary from the low teens to mid 30's %.

·
Admiral Ackbar the 1st
15,695 Posts
A sufficient sized portable AC could be vented under the door - just make a longer version of this vend frame and close the door on it -

AC makes a great dehumidifier too.

·
The Fruit
4,728 Posts
My portable unit is set up for 600sqft I believe.. that or high 500's.. I'd have to look for sure. I have a single car garage though so its a smaller area. Recently during 100*+ days GF and I did the turbo swap on her 07.. and we were able to keep the garage right around 80* when triple digits outside. Its humid as **** here too so the ac really helped bring that down to a more tolerable level. For us here on the east coast a swamp cooler would just make a wet mess.... must be nice to have humidity even at 19% during the summer.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Portable swap coolers are more efficient and cheaper to run like other people stated you need to measure the square footage just right otherwise it will not work properly. You could get a portable ac unit like a portable swap cooler where you would stick the vent under or door or something and no need for cutting holes through the drywall. Although with a ac unit you'll pay more I personally like swap coolers and would prefer one over a ac unit since they are cheaper. Where I live humidity varies from 10% to 20% on a hot 90 degree day for a garage unit I'm not sure what I would use it's a hard decision lol. If conditions were right I'd probably use the swamp cooler. I heard these are suppose to work really nice Cyclone 3000 CFM 2-Speed Portable Evaporative Cooler for 700 sq. ft.-PAC2KCYC01 at The Home Depot might be out of the budget though lol.

·
SuperNova
11,901 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yeah I looked at the port-a-cools, I like them they just take up a lot of space. Yeah I'm around 725 sq ft in my garage, but the 3rd bay is all I'd really want to cool and its about 275sq ft.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts