Subaru WRX Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
338 Posts
Havent driven with the 91 but Im now running a MAP 93 tune. Nice difference between stock 93 and MAP 93. (2017 WRX Limited FA-20)

Ive also driven a friends 17 with Cobb 93 and MAP 93 back to back and the MAP was a bigger difference in seat of the pants pull. Both tunes helped with smoothing out the powerband and reducing rev hang etc. Ive not driven with the 91.

Ive gone back to stock tune twice for comparison and after about 100 miles with the stock tune I wanted to trade the car. Stock tune is nice on the highway as you are sitting in the meat of the powerband but I just cant take that big drop in hp/tq around 4000 rpms (approx). I also cant drive it as smoothly. No regrets gettng the MAP.

Protune is prob in the near future. As much as I like the MAP tune, Id feel much better having my car tuned for my cars config and the way it runs with all the variables in play

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the review. Sounds like it's a lot more enjoyable to drive but not a big difference in power?

·
Master Baiter
12,649 Posts
Unless you've moved, why would you bother with the 91 tune? We have 93E10 available everywhere that isn't Stewarts, which recently converted to 91E0.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I have been running the MAP 93 stage 1 tune for a little over over a year now and I love the tune. I have also switched back to the stock tune a couple of times for various reasons and with in a couple of days I could not tolerate it. The MAP tune is noticeably more powerful and smoother. I do plan on getting an etune done this spring but the MAP tune is great for an OTS tune.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Unless you've moved, why would you bother with the 91 tune? We have 93E10 available everywhere that isn't Stewarts, which recently converted to 91E0.
I love me some stewarts but I actually just didn't know they had a 93 tune. I'd run the 93 now that I know. Still weighing my options but if I'm gonna keep it a while I might as well juice it up a bit.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have been running the MAP 93 stage 1 tune for a little over over a year now and I love the tune. I have also switched back to the stock tune a couple of times for various reasons and with in a couple of days I could not tolerate it. The MAP tune is noticeably more powerful and smoother. I do plan on getting an etune done this spring but the MAP tune is great for an OTS tune.
Thanks for the feedback

·
Registered
8 Posts
Cookie cutter tunes are borderline dangerous if you have anything over stock mods. WrX are finicky and any mod, changes fuel trims, load, timing ECT. Etunes and protunes smooth out the map and make adjustments according to how each car performs uniquely. That's important to not do damage. I'm currently running TP map in the midst of Data logging and revising the tune to suit my mods. I suggest the same for long term safety and performance. For the price, you can't beat it...compared to dyno pro tunes at $450+++

·
Registered
8 Posts
Basically,
Cobb ots stage 1+ -peaked at 15psi with random knock up to -2.80
Tp Etune- peaking 18.5psi with no knock. And still revising in constant contact with "your tuner. Gives me a warm and fuzzy.. not to mention the torque pull is spool strong and consistent with Eric's tune. He's a wizard.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
So if stage 2 is the goal would it be most efficient to buy a downpipe, then bring it to a tuner for a protune?

Do u need an AP to get protune?

·
Registered
338 Posts
So if stage 2 is the goal would it be most efficient to buy a downpipe, then bring it to a tuner for a protune?

Do u need an AP to get protune?

Yes you need an AP for a protune. (at least every tuner Ive talked to requires you have one). Almost all if not all tuners usually have them in stock.

Get all your parts together, have the shop put them all on at once, get it protuned there and done. Otherwise you are paying $500 for a tune, then adding a part and coming back and paying another $250 or so for an update.

If you are putting the parts on yourself, put them on, get the OTS tune that is specific to those parts and install it, then drive it to the tuner. I personally wouldnt drive a car with intake/TBE or any significant mods any appreciable miles on a stock tune or the wrong tune.

Alternately you can do emial tunes with some tuners. They give you a basic tune for the Mods you put on, you do logs and send those back to them, they revise the tune and you keep going till its worked out.

Im sure those who know more will chime in and correct if necessary

·
Registered
338 Posts
FWIW, My car has a cobb cat back and a MAP 93 OTS tune. NO other Mods (2017 FA-20 motor, NOT an STi)

I randomly run logs in differing weather conditions and the DAM has never moved off of 1.00 and I rarely record any knock at all other than the random -1.41 that the A/C clicking on usually causes. Peak boost is usually
19 +/- 1

YMMV

·
Registered
386 Posts
I'm running their 91 stage 2 tune atm, it's much better than Cobb's.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts