Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
3,478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody running an avc-r? Can you tell me how you like it? Easy to install, driveability problems And the height of the unit If You can!!!! Thanks:D

·
Registered
10 Posts
I think it's probably in a class of its own

I have a 17C turbo from turbo specialties and it is very strange to control the boost. I have been tuning it for the past month to stabilize boost in all gears. The turbo started out super laggy, but as my computer adjusted, I was able to control boost spikes. With the setting at 1 bar, it would spike to 1.4 @ 5000 rpm. Now it's under control, but I am taking my time increasing the boost in all gears. I don't think there is any other boost controller that can perform like this.

·
Registered
3,478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
wow i didn't know it was that intricate- i cant find any review articles on it. Is it difficult to use?

·
Registered
10 Posts
pretty difficult

It is pretty difficult, but once you understand the different points of adjustments, you'll be able to really fine tune the boost controller. If you want to start off simple, there are general screens/adjustments. If you have patience, I think this is a great controller.

·
Registered
679 Posts
BoostedBoxer said:
wow i didn't know it was that intricate- i cant find any review articles on it. Is it difficult to use?
Please search around. I would type an explanation, but I've ready written a review and how-to about 10 times on the net. I'll try to find the posts later.

Basically, it only takes ~10 mins to have it setup and 'learned' giving you rock steady boost with GREAT spoolup. The thing is, it has so many options, if you don't do your research and/or don't follow the instructions, you can have messed up results (this is true with anything).

I'll try to get your links later..... if you don't find them first :)

-C

·
Registered
35 Posts
I run the AVC-R and it took me a while to learn how to use the full capabilitys. The only way to understand it is talk to people and put together information. The best thing with the AVC-R is you can controll the boost in specific RPM's but like i said it takes alot of tunning and if you dont have a dyno, alot of hammering on the car. I got it installed a few weeks ago and just now have it running exactly how i want it to. You can PM me for any questions you have but what i would say is go with Utec. Only another 500 bucks and way more controll over your car. As for me i now have to pay 1,000 so i can get my Utec.

·
Registered
3,478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
where did you guys get yours and how much did they cost? And thanks for your help.

·
Registered
679 Posts
Ex. Settings
have no altered scramble settings
ne point 3000, 3500, 4000, 4500, 5000, 6000, 6500, 7000
feedback setting 9, 8, 6, 5, 4
learn gear off

First, read the instructions (http://www.apexi-usa.com/productdocumentation/electronics_savcr_ins.pdf) as they are self-explanitory.

Just setup the gear learning first (explained in detail in manual). Then, set your target boost to 1.0Kg/cm^2 and the duty cycle to "55%." Then do a few 3rd gear pulls and the duty cycle should now say "***" which means it has learned the correct duty cycle curve. once it does this, you can change your boost and it will learn correctly (it will have a better starting place). When ever you change your boost, it'll take a try or two for it to get the correct boost curve (Since it's learning for you).

Don't mess with the start duty (leave it at zero for every gear) until it has learned it correctly. Once you've got the boost set, increase the start duty on the lower gears so it'll reach full boost, and decrease it on higher gears so it won't spike as much. Generally, the high the SD the more it'll spike (and you want it to in the lower gears so it'll hit target boost instead of underboosting).

hth,
-C

·
Registered
6 Posts
I'm using a manual boost control now. I'm having trouble with the boost staying at the set pressure when I get on the gas. If it is set at 16PSI, it will reach 16 when I floor it, but then the pressure slowly drops while I'm still at full throtle.
My question is... will the AVCR eliminate my problem??

·
Registered
35 Posts
DAVEJC said:
I'm using a manual boost control now. I'm having trouble with the boost staying at the set pressure when I get on the gas. If it is set at 16PSI, it will reach 16 when I floor it, but then the pressure slowly drops while I'm still at full throtle.
My question is... will the AVCR eliminate my problem??
You better belive it will sweet cakes.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Actually, it depends...

DaveJC: If you are running the stock WRX turbo, it is not your boost controller, it's your turbo. It starts running out of breadth around 5500 rpm. It tapers down to about 12 psi by 7000. Even the AVC-R can't help you.

My 2c.

·
Registered
679 Posts
Re: Actually, it depends...

YellowWRX said:
DaveJC: If you are running the stock WRX turbo, it is not your boost controller, it's your turbo. It starts running out of breadth around 5500 rpm. It tapers down to about 12 psi by 7000. Even the AVC-R can't help you.

My 2c.
Right.

The avc-r will help you get full boost in each gear and rid you of spikes, but the stock turbo can't hold much boost on the top end.

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
You think I should get an EBC before I get my UTEC?

(mods in sig.)

I mean, I want to be able to control boost like this, but I also want the UTEC...

Doesn't the UTEC use a MBC also to control the boost?

·
Registered
423 Posts
For those of you that installed the AVCR yourself, what wiring diagram did you use? I have the one from Apexi's web site but it only has the GC8 not the GDB.

- Peter

Never mind I found it. Its in the Diagram document instead of the Wiring manual.

1 - 20 of 64 Posts