Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
at what rpm can u shift b4 the release in pressure?? is there an rpm where u can shift if u dont want to hear the noise or u want to hide the noise from some1 incompetent that u want to race???

i know full boost is at 3k rpms.. so if u shift b4 then will it make a psssh noise???

Thanks---

·
Registered
151 Posts
What you want to do is slowly ease off the the gas before you shift... then you have no noise, and no compressor surge.

I like my typeH, but i need to add an extra washer next time i go to the track as it was not sprung enough for the 19psi i was putting though it.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
what is compressor surge?? and how many washers should i put on it on stock boost? 14.7 pounds i believe...? I'm going to run stock boost. Any tips for installation?

·
Registered
151 Posts
BamBooI said:
what is compressor surge?? and how many washers should i put on it on stock boost? 14.7 pounds i believe...? I'm going to run stock boost. Any tips for installation?
Compressor surge is when the BOV does not open and the boost goes back into the blades of the turbo. Its not a good thing.

You want to try and start with 2 washers...

The install is easy just follow the instructions.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
so if i dont gas it and ease of the gas it wont make that big of a noise?? and if i shift at like 3k it wont make a big noise right? nothing compared to WOT at 5-6k shifts ?

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
BambooI, If you shift at 3,000rpm and have full boost on tap, the BOV will make its trademark sound. The trick, as stated above, is to let off the gas slowly, and shift as you arrive at 3,000rpm. Slapping the throttle closed and makeing the BOV vent quickly make the most noise as long as you have full boost.

In actuality the BOV is most audible at like 3,400-4,000rpm because it is not masked by the engine noise. I don't see why it matters whether or not any one hears your BOV. If they know it's a WRX, they know it has a turbo, so what difference does it make? Can you really hide the fact that you have a turbocharged car with the letters "WRX" on the trunklid, and a big, obvious hoodscoop glaring at fellow drivers?

It's not like you have an Integra with an aftermarket turbo-kit. Any street racer worth their salt knows what a WRX is, knows it has a turbo, and knows it's fast!

-Jim

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
well since you guys really want to know... i was asking so i could hide the noise if my parents were riding with me even though i am paying for the bov but i know they wouldnt want me to mod my car but who cars the bov is on the way!!!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts