ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,635 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am currently finishing up the editing on my thesis, and it's ~100 pages or so. For national novel writing month I cranked out 160 pages (50k words) last November. What is the longest project you've worked on/written? How do you keep writing when you get writer's block? I find that I must have music going to write, and when I do the words flow fairly quickly.

With this thesis, though, it's been like pulling teeth in order to get it done. I sit at the computer, but nothing happens. The ideas are there, but building bridges between them has been murder, and that's what I'm usually best at.

If you've worked on a longer project, what was the most difficult problem you encountered? Anyway, quiet forum tonight and I felt like starting up a chat about something different...

-snowcat

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
Whats up, man?! I like to write creative essays once in a while. I once wrote a 50 page novel for fun once, that was it.

The hardest part for me is writing for a long time (like...2 hours +) and losing the "creativity" so to speak and just start writing down mindless crap. Now I know why it takes novelists so dang long to come out with books!

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
This post is the longest thing I have written since school (centuries ago). :wiggles:

Back in the day, my old friend Mary Jane helped out alot with the big papers.

·
Registered
2,635 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
VitaminWRX said:
The hardest part for me is writing for a long time (like...2 hours +) and losing the "creativity" so to speak and just start writing down mindless crap. Now I know why it takes novelists so dang long to come out with books!
True - with this thesis, I'll write an hour or two and then play with the cat or hop on the forums. Since I've gotten "stuck" so many times on this project, I've found that the best thing I can do is switch processes. For example, for one section I had about 6 pages of quotes on a specific topic and was stringing them together. I couldn't figure out what order they should go in, and was stuck for about an hour. Then, I went back to my notes and ran through the quotes again. I found one I hadn't originally planned to use, and when I inserted it into the paper it lead to another line of thinking that introduced a new flow to that section. When in doubt, mix things up, I guess.

Lol... usually my problem with not being able to come up with things to write stems from the fact that it's too close to sunrise to think straight. One thing I've learned from working on this project is that I can sleep with my eyes open lol...

-snowcat

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
Haha, do ever get this REAL GREAT idea like, eating breakfast or something, then when you go to implement it, you either can't remember or doesn't come out right? ticke\s me off to no end...:D

·
Registered
2,635 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
VitaminWRX said:
Haha, do ever get this REAL GREAT idea like, eating breakfast or something, then when you go to implement it, you either can't remember or doesn't come out right? ticke\s me off to no end...:D
Yeah, or you come up with this awesome idea, and then you watch a movie the next day that is basically that same idea? This has happened more times to me than I care to recount. :D It happened with Total Recall (my story was different as it didn't have anything to do with memory, but did result in a revolution on Mars and the planet having an atmosphere) and Sphere (my story was about people being able to manifest their thoughts into reality, and my "macguffin" was an asteroid - so they were both round even lol!).

Yeah, I've also had a few problems with implementation. On my last project, the main plotline suddenly became a backstory for a ruse that was an excuse to move the characters north. :D Keeping a novel with multiple characters on track can be like trying to herd 1st graders through a pixie sticks factory... :eek:

p.s. - check out http://www.nanowrimo.org/ for a good time, though it usually doesn't become too lively until the end of September/beginning of October.

-snowcat

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
Yep, or a video game or TV series etc etc :D

I hear you on the plot thing. trying to keep things moving with multiple characters is not a strong point of mine (I am horrible with organization) That's why I limit it to two seperate sub-plots, otherwise it just becomes a mess.

·
Registered
2,635 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
VitaminWRX said:
Yep, or a video game or TV series etc etc :D

I hear you on the plot thing. trying to keep things moving with multiple characters is not a strong point of mine (I am horrible with organization) That's why I limit it to two seperate sub-plots, otherwise it just becomes a mess.
That's all you really need anyways, especially if you are good with "smoke & mirrors." For example, if you write a mystery, you can make things "seem" important at the time, even though they are really not. Such things don't have to be connected to each other, and therefore don't really constitute a plot structure. Then, you have the person who is the "best pick" for suspect, and the person that actually committed the crime.

If you watch "Secret Window"

***SPOILER WARNING!*****

with Johhny Depp, that's a good example of how there's really only two "threads" such as I mention - one for Depp's character, and one for Shooter. The rest of the story is basically just distraction.

-snowcat (still editing @ 1:30 am lol...)

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
i love to write... and i'm pretty good at throwing things together, like papers and stuff. but i'm more into writing poetry (see link in sig). If I ever watned to sit adn write a novel I'm sure i could tho... i love reading and stuff. unfortunately i'm sure it would either be a crime story, something dark and sad, or something so cheeseball romantic and lovey it owuld sicken anyone who read it. but i feel that i express myself best thru words. feel free to check out someof my stuff. i'll list my favs if anyone wants.

·
Registered
3,250 Posts
I have written about 100 pages of my autobiography, and I am only 26, lol. I have written a lot of art theory as well, mostly about my own art, just to help me think about it.

-joe

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
My modivation to write dies after about 6 pages or so, I can't eve seem to even pick up on something I was writeing before. I have this forum where you kinda write back and forth with people in an RP, but I never actually do that anymore because I am to busy.

·
Registered
19,615 Posts
snowcat,
thesis writing is teh endurance.
I've written for the college newspaper, I have written thesis' and screenplays.
If I found myself in a writer's block, I simply take my mind off of it for a bit. I go to a chinese buffet or have a hot date with a spliff
Writers MUST relax...atleast I found it to work.

good luck, my friend!

·
Registered
2,599 Posts
I have been known to write things. Right now I have just starting writing a fictional autobiography of my life after college graduation for a website that I used to write for back in my undergraduate days. I think it is brilliantly funny, and if you care to read it, let me know. Of course, I am probably the only person to think it is good, but, that is what really matters to me.

I have been writing a novel that is about to page 160 right now, that would not sound exciting at all if I were to tell anyone what it is about. It'll get really long, and then I will go back and delete dozens of pages at a time that aren't contributing successfully to the overall point of what is being said. I get writers' block all the time, and I think that walking is the best way to overcome it. Fortunately, my new apartment is in the middle of the Cleveland Metroparks, so it is very conducive to walking. I do, though, pace around a lot as well.

·
Registered
3,717 Posts
I would love to be able to write cool stuff... I used to draw a lot, and me and a buddy of mine were thinking about making a comic book.. but

...procrastinatiown3d....

·
Registered
2,635 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
platano said:
...procrastinatiown3d....
Lol. Yup! I find that this is my biggest problem. Finished the draft of my thesis yesterday though, woot! 92 pages... :eek3:

LemonHerb: If you can only crank out 6 pages at a time, no prob! Just stick to short stories. ;)

zoophagy: Cool!

WRXlude - I tried writing for the college paper when I was an undergrad... First story, I turned in a 100% error-free copy. (I mean, how hard is that when it's only a 150-word story?) When I read it in the next paper, it contained no less than FOURTEEN errors, both in grammar and consistency/clarity. :eek3: Next story I submitted the editor fudged it up again, so that was the end of that for me...

-snowcat

1 - 15 of 15 Posts