ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I'm a complete newbie to my 04 WRX and AWD cars in general. All of the manual tranny cars that I've driven have been real wheel drive cars, such as my RX-7. Those guys you just dump the clutch at whatever RPM you feel like and it just spins if you gave it too much gas. Oh, another thing, I've never owned a turbo either, I need to learn that part as well. My WRX is bone stock as well.

Here is what I've noticed so far:
If I dump the clutch at 3k RPMs, it just takes off slow.
If I ride the clutch a little at 3k RPMs, this seems to give the best results so far, but if I go any higher RPMs I can sometimes smell the clutch burn a little.
If I dump the clutch at anything higher than 3k RPMs it jerks really hard, and sometimes bucks. I think I need to avoid dumping the clutch period.

Thanks for your help guys, I really love this car and so far, even though I don't have a really good takeoff I've pulled everyone that messed with me. :)

·
Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Admin
48,699 Posts
Welcome to the Club. :)

The 5MT WRX doesn't like to be launched in the manner that you are describing. (dumping the clutch.)
Keep doing this, and your risk of needing a new transmission in the short term is high. Normal cars spin the wheels to relieve the stress of a hard launch; an AWD car won't spin the wheels like that, and all of the stress goes into the tranny.

If for some reason I need to get out of the hole quickly, I slip the clutch at around 3500rpms; that seems to work pretty well on my wagon.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Great, I was starting to come to that conclusion that dumping the clutch was bad! I also have a wagon, man are these cars awesome. Another big problem that I'm also having is getting people to not ignore me when I want to pick at them. I guess they just think their too good to race a wagon. I usually take off pretty quick anyway to show them what they are missing.

·
Not Asian
1,069 Posts
Just a word to the wise. I think you'll find that the majority of people on here don't speak highly of unsactioned racing, or picking on drivers to race. To each their own obviously but you're personifying a typical nuisance most of these guys and girls can't stand.

·
Administrator ...De Rerum Natura
20,139 Posts
Welcome.
I would check out our drag forum.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Oh, sorry about that. That may explain why no one wants to play anymore. With that said, I guess I'll behave then. That's good to know that it's frowned upon now, and I'll back off. Thanks for that tip, and just a note, most of the time I would only go from stopped to maybe 5mph to 10mph over the speed limit and back off, seriously. I'm old and I have two kids, I never wanted to do anything real dangerous to hurt anyone.

·
Not Asian
1,069 Posts
It's all good. I don't think anyone on here would say they didn't want to see what their car was capable of :)

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks, I found the drag forum. I didn't realize there were sub forums below the other forums. I do like the ideas they have there, and it is quite easy to spin the tires. :)

·
Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Admin
48,699 Posts
Thanks, I found the drag forum. I didn't realize there were sub forums below the other forums. I do like the ideas they have there, and it is quite easy to spin the tires. :)
On dry pavement? I would suggest that you are much harder on your car than I am on mine. Better start putting some funds aside into a Diff/Tranny fund.

·
Super Moderator
33,822 Posts
Welcome.
I would check out our drag forum.
Here here ... moving thread to that forum

Oh, sorry about that. That may explain why no one wants to play anymore. With that said, I guess I'll behave then. That's good to know that it's frowned upon now, and I'll back off. Thanks for that tip, and just a note, most of the time I would only go from stopped to maybe 5mph to 10mph over the speed limit and back off, seriously. I'm old and I have two kids, I never wanted to do anything real dangerous to hurt anyone.
Street racing is bad - take it to the track please. :)

Welcome to our club!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ok, I'll agree with you guys, street racing is bad. It's just a hard habit to break, and I'm going to have to break it before something happens. I've only had the WRX for about 3 months, and for the most part I've babied it more than any car I've ever owned. Other than the fact I've been trying to get it to take off really quick. I'll have to agree, I'll definately back off before I break something or anyone gets hurt. Thank you all for the advice, and it's good to know what the car can do, I just don't need to show it off all the time.

I'm sorry if I stepped on everyones toes right off the bat, and I hope to be a better member! I'll let everyone know how well I fight my addiction. :)

·
Super Moderator
33,822 Posts
This is a good read: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/showthread.php?t=134282261

Getting a truly competitive quick launch with AWD is an exercise in clutch / drivetrain abuse. IMO the WRX is not a great choice for drag racing. Some wheel spin is good in a from a dead stop drag race.

Be nice to your transmission - it will be nice back. :)

·
Registered
4,142 Posts
-1 .. i treat my car like it my lady only move on when she is ready [ RA gear ]
I treat my car like a woman and replace anything that I don't like.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts