Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Moderating on the run!
7,322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had to disaasemble and reassemble my STi front struts (error on washer) and somehow I've stripped the lower portion of the strut piston bolt. It wouldn't tighten down all the way and I noticed upon closer inspection the lower portion of threads were stripped- I could lift slightly the nut w/ a pair of needle nose pliers. I couldn't get the nut off either, as it wouldn't go by the threaded section. For now I've put another nut over the top and have it tightened down. The second nut went on about 60% of the way.

Would it possible to rethread this bolt section (its smooth now)? Any ideas on how to get the nut off- not enough room for a nut splitter, don't want to torch it off for fear of damaging the STi tops.

I got the part # off of the strut and priced it at subaruparts.com- $305! I then priced the left front kit (strut AND sopring AND dust boot AND hardware)-$295. What the hell is up w/ that?

Any suggestions would be appreciated

Big Sky

·
Registered
23 Posts
Big Sky:

That is odd. Perhaps a result of those compression type nuts for the strut tops?

As long as you have at least about 3 - 4 good threads engaged on the 2nd top nut, you'll be fine. You may well want to use a hardened nylock type nut so it won't vibrate loose over time.

I gave up trying to figure out OEM parts pricing a long time ago.

·
Moderating on the run!
7,322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks- after pricing a new strut I think I will give the second nut a chance, I'm guessing I have at least 4 threads engaged. I might try a different nut w/ nylock, that's a good idea.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts