Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 110 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,
can u guys tell me wat problem have u guy experienced with the WRX and any unsatisfy thing about Subaru WRX, any info would help alot, Thanx!!!!!!!!!!!

·
980 Posts
no sunroof option, and no seek button on the radio. Those are the only two problems with the car, if you can live with no sunroof then its fine. Also no leather, but I dont like the feeling of sticking to my car when i get in on a hot day.

-c

·
Registered
184 Posts
I have heard (and unfortunately, starting to experience first hand) that the paint quality is not all that high. Seems like many flying objects that should not leave a mark do :mad: I don't know if that is just my bad luck or what, I am not talking serious off roading here. Anyone else?

·
Registered
649 Posts
I don't have any quirks with my car. It has been a great car for me. As for the comment on no seek button, if you turn the knob and hold it will start to seek.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Yeah, definitely cheap/thin paint

thin sheet metal (dents very easily)

Downshifting into 1st gear is difficult, won't go into 1st until the car is almost stopped.

·
Banned
7,636 Posts
rattles and shakes. very little sound dampening, so there is some road noise.

it's all worth it and then some though when that boost hits. :D

dR

·
Registered
166 Posts
Stock tires kinda suck.
Stock wheel width is too small.
Cruise control disengages each time car gets turned off (annoying).
Hard to shift into first. Rev matching a necessity.
Swirl marks (esp. on a black car)
I have lots of door dings (not sure if it's the metal, but probably is, hopefully they're easy to remove).
The cupholder (top one) is kinda a pain to pull out all the way.
Subaru of America is notorious for warranty claim denial.
Driver's side window squeak.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Paint looks great but chips pretty easy, 3 months and already 4-5 small chips on the hood (you can buy a protective 3m clear cover for it, I need to put mine on)

My suspension creaks some, put lubricant on the sprints and struts, fixed it for awhile but seems to be coming back. I will have to take it to the dealer.

Black wheel well cover on the front driver side has some holes, looks like stress points that cracked, dealer will fix.

Interior rattle from right side of car, very well documented with a do it yourself fix.

1st and Rear gears hard to get in sometimes, in general its not the best feeling shifter I have used, I love the RSX-S shift feel.

Dealership needs the car for the full day to fix things or for an oil change, but my dealer said he would loan me a floor car :)

All in all these are all minor things that can be fixed or ignored, and I am sure every car has its quirks, these are all of them I can think of for my car.

Oh yeah and I got a ticket the day after I got the car, but thats just a prime example of how much fun this car is and its worth every penny and more. Its fast, strong and fun. Everything a rally car should be.

·
Premium Member
6,750 Posts
I agree on the wheels. Why does everywhere else in the world get 17" (which actually look pretty decent) but those of us in North America (not sure about Australia though) get 16" hard-as-hell-to-clean wheels? And yes, the stock tires do suck.

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
Stock tires blow, the stock wheels are a PITA to clean, minor rattles, the gear ratios are awkward and we should have a six speed anyway.

One the positives: excellent warranty service, the huge smile on my face everytimes I drive my car. :D

-Jim

·
Registered
298 Posts
what are all of you guys talking about hard to clean wheels?? i don't find them to be a challenge at all, actually, they are some of the fastest wheels i've dealt with for cleaning?

my gripe is the seats aren't very comfortable on longer trips, and there isn't enough room for my right heel at the gas pedal. and it's too fast :p

·
Premium Member
6,750 Posts
glepko said:
what are all of you guys talking about hard to clean wheels?? i don't find them to be a challenge at all, actually, they are some of the fastest wheels i've dealt with for cleaning?

my gripe is the seats aren't very comfortable on longer trips, and there isn't enough room for my right heel at the gas pedal. and it's too fast :p
Heh, the small spokes make it hard for me to clean...I don't know how big your fingers and hands are, but I've got piano fingers and it's hard to get in those spokes :)

·
Registered
166 Posts
PlatinumWRX said:
Uncomfortable seats! The seat in the WRX are more comfortable than any car that I have ever driven!

-Jim
Heck yea. I've got a finicky lower back (had scoliosis as a kid, mostly fixed now) and it just LOOOOOVES the WRX seats. Much more than my wife's Accord EX V6 leather seats (although they are really nice leather seats).

·
Registered
424 Posts
I also find the seats a little uncomfortable. The side bolster for my right arm interferes with my shifting, and my lower back starts aching after more than 1.5-2 hours of driving. My last car's buckets were more comfy, but didn't have as good of side-bolstering, so it's a trade-off.

Paint is touchy, will scratch/chip pretty easily. Also might be the fact that I have black, so the white primer underneath shows through all too well. Maybe a white WRX wouldn't LOOK as bad with the same amount of chips.

1st gear gets annoying not being able to downshift consistantly. Get that sick feeling everytime I hear that grind while trying to go down into 1st.

I also have a slightly squeeky suspension, but I didn't notice it until AFTER I took the car off-road, so I blame that.

Stock tires SUCK. They like to moan and groan and scream even when they aren't being pushed to their max, and they don't stick very well either.

ABS is a little over-sensitive.

Windshield cracks easily also, mine just got chipped this week, so I'll be adding myself to the running list of cracked/chipped windows.

Almost all of these bad points put together though do not counter out the amounts of fun the car is to drive. And remember that being that we've owned our car's for awhile, this list will probably be a little OVER-PICKY compared to a magazine review of a similar car. Don't let the bad comments make you believe that the car is a piece of crap, cause it is a very nice car all around. I just don't want you to get scared away because of something little that you took as a major problem.

Good luck.

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
Just a point of note:

My 2001 Spectra Blue Mica IS300 had accumulated twice as many little chips/nicks/scratches in the same amount of ownership time as my Aspen White WRX.

The finish was GORGEOUS, but it scratched and chipped so easily I wondered if we were actually supposed to drive our $33k "sports sedans" on the road! :(

All finishes now-a-days seem to take a real beating. I'm thinking it has more to do with the shape of cars now-a-days versus the "thinness" of the paint?

Any professional automotive painters out there care to comment?

I know I'm going to get flamed for this (I hate that - can't we all just be nice? :p ) and I think that the WRX is an AWESOME car. I love it. But... It just seems that I baby the trans. on this thing because I'm afraid of it's fragility. I may just "know better" now after reading all of the posts on the 'net forums and be paranoid - but when I was a 18 year old kid with a brand new '90 Eagle Talon TSi AWD I used to sidestep the clutch on that thing with reckless abandon and nary a peep from the drivetrain... Maybe I should just keep myself from reading "transmission horror stories" on-line and drive the car like I've driven every car before it without any problems. I admittedly don't keep most cars until they've accumulated 100k+ miles, but at 65k miles my Talon was on it's original clutch and didn't have any additional drivetrain "slop". It used to run 13.70's at least once a month for most of the 5 years that I owned it and was THE reason I bought my WRX (the Talon was produced many of fondest car memories and I wanted another 4-cylinder/turbo/awd/tossable import)...

Again, I'm being paranoid and haven't noticed any lack of reliability on my own vehicle. The local Subaru service guy has told me LOCAL stories of many grenaded gearboxes though. :-(

Aloha,
Richard...

·
Registered
17 Posts
Cup holders

OK it obviosly didn't bother me enough to keep me from buying the car but I have no clue what they were thinking when designing it. I love the seats. And I know this is not company wide but I am having problems with my dealer (I still have a dark blue rs spoiler on my WRX) Other then that sweet car.

1 - 20 of 110 Posts