ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I decided on a VF22 turbo for my 02 WRX. When I got it I realized it had no identification on the serial number area. All it says is RHF5 but all the areas are blank. I bought it used and it has the same housing so I decided "screw it" and installed it.
Do you think its just a stolen turbo? or is it common that IHI turbos dont have identification besides the common RHF5 or RHE5??
any input is good.
Thanks

·
Super Moderator (Actually a SuperSpy)
29,219 Posts
All it says is RHF5 but all the areas are blank.

For Impreza applications the RHF5A units had a factory code: 14411AA142. Your turbo is most likely a VF22 (the other units with the RHF5A designation aren't as popular anyway so even statistically it's likely a VF22 -- I don't think I've ever seen a VF28, and these two are the only two turbos with the correct fitment for a Subaru up pipe setup I can think of off the top of my head). I have no idea if it's stolen as you suspect, but I'm not worried, as I'm not missing one.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ok awesome. Thanks, thats reassuring
I'm not worried. If all else I got a good turbo for a good price.
now I just gotta tune the car.

·
Super Moderator (Actually a SuperSpy)
29,219 Posts
now I just gotta tune the car.

OK, assuming the units fits -- and it does as you say -- plus it's functional, then it'll not make too much difference what member of the VF2x family you really have since you're tuning for whatever you have anyway. Enjoy.

EDIT: I'm assuming it's an RHF5A and not a B, as those are different turbos.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts