Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering if anyone has any feedback on this turbo. All I could find, besides the obvious "it's a 18g" thing is the following:

-only oil cooled ... eh
-Turbo mag did a VERY short write up on it summary here:
Greddy had zeroed in on a T518Z turvo, a fresh unit from Greddy's parent company in Japan. Developted by mitsubishi and trust-designed 8cm^2 compressor housing that gets maximum thrust from the 18g Wheel. The T518Z featyres a special flange that matches the odd, triangle-shaped WRX Downpipe. The unit was bolted on and the WRX was powered up on GT's four-wheel-drive dynojey. The Subaru, fitted with a greddy front-mount intercooler kit and evo exhaust system, ran 12 psi of boost. With the stock ECU heading the tuning effort, the WRX laid 238.5 hp and 215.2 lb-ft of torque. Greddy highly recommends its e-manage tuning computer because the engine can run a tad lean on the topend if boost is pushed past the 12-psi max. Tuning with the e-manage netted 280 plus whp.
Now lets assume a couple of things here. Going off of the rough estimate that 1psi = 10hp we would assume that they were probably getting their 278whp/280whp plus from about 16-17psi. Also the article in which this came from, Feb. Turbo magazine, stated the ONLY other mods done to the car were Greddy FMIC and Greddy "exhaust" (so maybe just catback).

If that is a pretty much stock car then I think this turbo has some potential. From the looks of the dyno in the article they got full tq around 4000rpm. BUT remember, if the car has ONLY the mods they claim, they still have stock airbox, cat filled uppipe, and dp. So that isn't too bad for running on stock fuel system IMHO.

What does everyone else think... err scratch that. What does anyone else KNOW about this turbo.

Thanks

·
Registered
59 Posts
i would honestly like to know what the specs, prices and the compatiblitliy of this turbo. all i know is that greddy aka TRUST makes quality stuff.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts

·
Registered
295 Posts
Looks like it will make LOTS of power. I think we may actually be better off up here with the larger turbine housing. ala VF30 vs VF22.

Buy me one, Dave. :D

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
phast said:
Looks like it will make LOTS of power. I think we may actually be better off up here with the larger turbine housing. ala VF30 vs VF22.

Buy me one, Dave. :D
Yah I think it also has potential. BUt after finding out more about the mods on the car that was dynoed in Turbo mag. it seems that it has lag/full boost characteristics similar to the 1820.

You are right though about the exhaust housing. We wouldn't be fighting back pressure issues with the 18g as we are with our small/high spinning IHI's.

And you can have one... RIGHT after I get 12's with mine ;).

1 - 5 of 5 Posts