Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am wondering. I hear so many good things and I am interested. I am one of those guys that reads a ton about what he is going to buy, and then reads more! I guess I can't help researching things that interest me.:)

So anyone know if there are dealers yet that got info?

Cook32

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Texas's dealer is fi-systems.com They will ship to you and had about 10 boxes of those sitting around the shop when i was there. If they are out they will restock shortly.

EDIT: If its info you want theres the aps-wrx.com website and if you want more call up or email fi-systems or one of the other dealers that has started selling aps.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
afpdl said:
Texas's dealer is fi-systems.com They will ship to you and had about 10 boxes of those sitting around the shop when i was there. If they are out they will restock shortly.

EDIT: If its info you want theres the aps-wrx.com website and if you want more call up or email fi-systems or one of the other dealers that has started selling aps.
Dude, you are a godsend! Thanks, seems like you and I are just hookin up on all the threads tonight. :D

Thanks again,

Cook32

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
One more question. I am the type of guy that spends the money the first time and does it right! I want to get a car that along with heavy modding, will reach low 12's or better in the quarter. Is the APS the best turbo for that, or is PE a better shot for the quarter mile time, or a VF34?

I kinda hate askin this cause I know it's been discussed and it opens a can of worms. But is the APS the one that can flow more air and get me to the quarter quicker with better reliability?

Cook32

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
the sr30 is comparable to the vf22. The sr30 flows a little more and spools a little faster than the vf but you can look at the numbers people are putting down with the 22 to get an idea. I would say the sr30 is good for about mid 12's( no nos of course) maybe a little better. If you want low 12's then look at the pe1818 or 1820 or the sr40 which competes with the 1820 and flows a little more with the biggest exhaust housing offered. Despite what aps claims in the real world the sr40 doesnt hit full boost till 4k and then it pulls hard. the pe or sr40 should get you to low 12's without nos possibly 11's ( still no nos) with a great tune and all the supporting mods.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
and if those arent enough then theres the sr50 but thats pretty useless unless you have a 1.5l built block.

There is also a whole line of aps turbos that arent even advertised by fi-systems

The d/r series turbos are a line of external wastegate 550 to 650hp turbos( for referance the sr30-50 are 350-500hp turbos)

·
1,911 Posts
afpdl said:
the sr30 is comparable to the vf22. The sr30 flows a little more and spools a little faster than the vf but you can look at the numbers people are putting down with the 22 to get an idea. I would say the sr30 is good for about mid 12's( no nos of course) maybe a little better. If you want low 12's then look at the pe1818 or 1820 or the sr40 which competes with the 1820 and flows a little more with the biggest exhaust housing offered. Despite what aps claims in the real world the sr40 doesnt hit full boost till 4k and then it pulls hard. the pe or sr40 should get you to low 12's without nos possibly 11's ( still no nos) with a great tune and all the supporting mods.
This is all perfectly correct. I like the PE turbos a bit better myself and have not had one dissatisfied custoemr with the PE turbos and their abilities. They are on just about all the fastest WRX's in the US at the moment. That says a lot and their reliability is second to none. I myself will be going with a Garrett GT37 on my STi but that will require custom piping all the way and external wastegate. Custom intake pipe too.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
god I believe some of the aps are just garret turbos converted to fit the wrx. I know their d/r series comes with custom piping for the uppipe and downpipe. I cant tell you much about the turbos except that the d/r 65 flows at 65lbs/min max and i have the air flow x pressure ratio maps for them that came in the catalouge. But Im not sure which garret models they are specifically. I have not seen these turbos talked about or sold anywhere except for in the aps catalouge I picked up at fi systems in texas.

EDIT: OT Dan have you recieved any answers regarding the new pe turbo's design yet?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Actually.. the package deal is coming from TheWRXStore.com but just tell them you got the link from our site and they'll work out a deal for ya I'm sure. :) (Just ask to talk to Nick or PM them on the site)

I personally am planning on an SR40 when I have the cash. Better spool up than the pe series and more usable power to boot.

-Tim
www.wrxhackers.com

·
Registered
49 Posts
Wait a minute... WHAT ARE YOU DOING HERE!!!

:eek: Nice to see you making the jump to a Scooby! Be sure to talk to me when you plot your evil list of mods. ;) I'm working on getting a 2.2L or 2.5L stroker/full block group buy of all things. :cool: mmmm POWAH!

Actually.. if anyone is interested in a TD04 (stock turbo) with a lil more kick check out the Turbo's section of my site. We've been discussing how to make the most of the turbo and cheaper than the Forced Performance models.

-Tim
www.wrxhackers.com

AJ: I'd better see you signed up over there! ;)

·
Registered
4,328 Posts
Muhahaha! I just signed up. :p I am going to start with the free mods and then probabaly go up/dp/turboback as my next mods, as I can afford them. I'll let you know once I get started.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
crazyhorse said:

I personally am planning on an SR40 when I have the cash. Better spool up than the pe series and more usable power to boot.

-Tim
www.wrxhackers.com
I have talked to jason at fi-systems( a authourized aps dealer and tuner) about the spool of the aps turbos. And his answer was not the same as aps's claims. They spool just as fast as any true ball bearing turbo of that size spools, just because its aps doesnt give it the ability to defy physics. So if you get the sr40 with the small exhaust housing yes it should outspool the 1820 by a little bit but it wont flow as much, with the big exhaust housing it will flow a little more but it will spool a hundred or so rpm's later than the 1820. The 1818 should outspoool an sr40 with any exhaust housing since its a slighly smaller true ball bearing turbo with a smaller exhaust housing.

Im not saying the sr40 is a bad turbo( its great) just dont believe the hype. Look closely at their claims and they say 14psi by 3000rpm not full boost. The pe's will reach 14psi by 3000rpm also.

Not bashing just informing.

·
Registered
49 Posts
My friend with the 1820 said his didn't hit till 4 grand.. I know the SR40 won't be spooled by 3000.. there's just no way a big turbo can spool that quick without surging. Wait till you see the new Garette coming out.. It's a lag monster but when it hits.. WOW...

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Ok just making sure you knew it wasnt a miracle turbo, the way you were talking earlier sounded like you were falling for aps's advertising.

And I have a catalogue of 2 garret conversions from aps there huge. So ive already seen them. They are just now going to offer them to the general public before they were reserved for the aps race cars and special order projects.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Ah.. This Garette isn't going to be made by APS. :) It's a "secret" project. I managed to rangle some dyno numbers from the guys making it Well known company, but well... I'm sworn to secrecy. The numbers are NUTS.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Before you buy one of these turbos check out the Aussie sites they are getting a pretty bad rapp by alot of the guys.
Apprently the power figures are pretty disapointing.
Ive talked to some of the tuning shops here and they seem to have the same view. Just food for thought!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts