Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So after all these years, I've decided to possibly come back to an STI. I know about these cars, I've had a wrx, then an sti (that had ringland). Anything new in the 2018 sti??

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
Compared to what year? I know compared to my 15 STI, my 18 has bigger brake calipers, 19" wheels to fit the brakes, drilled brakes, an electronic center diff, a larger touch screen, thicker windows/more sound insulation, barely noticeable softer suspension dampening, more soft touch interior surfaces, a larger LED dash screen/boost gauge, slightly better looking (IMO) contrasting gauge cluster, a more neutral grabbing clutch pedal, adaptive LED headlights, LED boomerang running lights, a more aggressive looking front end (IMO), and a Recaro seat option.

If you're talking about changes from the previous generations, the rigid chassis and firm steering rack will be the most noticeable. If you're looking for any real changes to the drivetrain, you won't really find any. Ride quality and interior quality has improved from previous STI's, but still leaves a ton to be desired.

I have a really odd passion for the flawed EJ motor and it's beautiful rumble noises, so I'm pretty dedicated the to the STI. That said, I'd look elsewhere all day long. I paid $40,000 for mine OTD with the options I wanted. For that price you can get your hands on a Ford Focus RS, a Honda Civic Type R, and a Golf R. Honestly, all of those cars are much better reviewed the the STI and they're said to be much easier to live with. The modern STI is very behind the times. I stayed with this model, because I like the specific feel it delivers. If I cared about which car was the better performer, I wouldn't consider the STI. On a circuit track, which is what it's meant for, it can be slightly edged out by almost any competitor in its price range and it's very rigid. If you're looking to hammer the car down your local roads, which I don't suggest, the soccer mom cars like V6 Camry's/V6 Accords will make you feel silly when their kids borrow them and keep up with you. You'll feel even worse when the basic bitch Lexus and BMW's **** all over you.

That said... Good luck.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I guess I did fail to mention the year - I had an 09 sti hatch, preceded by a 12 wrx (in my profile pic). I am not a fan of hatches. Here's what I came up with: right now I have a 370. I LOVE the car. However, the wife has told me I have to compromise & that I need a back seat (to tote the children around). I got a beater car for that, but they're older & usually comes w a lot of problems. I tried to convince her to get another car payment (I was looking at a versa), she said no. The wife wins. So that is why I am selling my Z. I looked at the golf r. I know about these cars. The wife had an s3 (same motor just a manual gearbox option). However, hatch. Same with a focus. Plus, I can't see paying 40k+ on a Ford. Then the civic, Eh. I'm not a fan of Hondas either. So that's why that didn't make the cut. This is why I circled back to the sti. The only other car that made the cut was an M3. The wife said it was too expensive. However, I THINK I could sway her opinion.

Are there any others out there that I am missing? I do everything with the car. Track, drag, autox, car shows, you name it. Well, minus drift. I wanted to in the Z, but I am scared I'll bump it.

I do love the ej motors, but I hate that they are dated and flawed & somewhat difficult to make power from. However, it's like a girl that ain't good for me that I keep running back to.... Crazy

·
Registered
171 Posts
I wouldn't listen to people who just read car and driver mags. They're bench racers with no real knowledge.

First: yes there are better cars in the price range. The FOCUS RS and gold R are great. However, the focus interior is disgusting and the golf R suspension is really soft.
18" wheels also fit the new large brakes, I think Subaru went 19s to increase ride quality and stability. The outback also has 19s.

The STI is a great car on the street and race track. With a mere ACCESSPORT and intake as performance mods I'm only 3 seconds off standard race pace at my local track against cars that have many engine modifications, slicks, and full coilovers suspension in my 18 STI.

The car handles very well and feels very stable. It's a good choice.

If you want just highway fun and a sporty car, the golf R has soccer mom suspension and won't feel as rigid
However to make it reliable on the track it's gonna need some solid modifications to help keep oil and coolant temperatures at Bay. From my experience, the golf R doesn't suffer the same...but they seem to be slower on the track due to softer suspension.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I agree about the suspension.

Question, the new wrx's, I haven't been too up to speed on those. Do they have more potential than the ej257?

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
From my vague understanding they can be made quicker for cheaper in a straight line. I don't know anything about long term reliability. I've heard the clutch and gearbox can be a little quirky. If you want straight line speed and you don't care about launching, you can get a GTI with an ARP tune with 300whp under ARP's warranty. The dealership I was speaking fully supported the tune and other minor mods. Local GTI owners confirmed this. The 6 year 72,000 mile warranty was also a lot to pass up. The model just under the Autobahn included full leather and the track package. With rebates, it was under 30k. The interior and features **** all over a WRX and my STI.

·
Registered
171 Posts
The FAs make more power dollar for dollar.
That being said, they are more limited on total power contraints with the stock block and fueling system.

The stock block has been known to grenade around 400hp due to the rods. Additionally I think anybody making over 450hp has either bought the p&l injector add on system which is several thousand $ or is using something like methanol as the secondary fuel source. The DI system cannot be increased flow wise past it's maximum without these

·
Super Moderator
11,709 Posts
That being said, they are more limited on total power contraints with the stock block and fueling system.

The stock block has been known to grenade around 400hp due to the rods. Additionally I think anybody making over 450hp has either bought the p&l injector add on system which is several thousand $ or is using something like methanol as the secondary fuel source. The DI system cannot be increased flow wise past it's maximum without these
The ej has been known to grenade at stock power.

It’s all money. Making big power on any platform costs big bucks. Your still spending the same money, just on different things.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I think it all depends on how much you're willing to spend.

you can get a 18 /19 wrx between 25-29k all day - decent interior, fun for daily driving, a lot of potential. If you want to save money, and you don't care about up to date features (19's do offer car play now ), then go with the WRX. You can get a base for 25k, spend 4k in mods, and be able to surpass STI in HP/suspension easily. Still less than the STI.

I think the Civic Type - R looks like a matchbox car and screams high school/college kid. Golf R/GTI would be a good idea. They are super fun to drive, good suspension, interior is ok, but the problem is it IS a bit small, so getting kids in and out might be a hassle. Also, they are 100x more mod friendly when it comes to dealerships fulfilling warranty requests. My buddy blew his motor on a stage 3 GTI and they replaced it no problem. Didn't ask about anything.

·
Æternum
16,063 Posts
Subaru Research Site- specs, prices, options, 2018, 2017, 2016, 2015, 2014, 2013.... Outback, Legacy, Forester, XV Crosstrek, WRX, STI, Impreza, BRZ, Tribeca

I'm legitimately curious how you arrived at this conclusion. In fact, this goes a bit against logical deduction.

The FA20 is a much more modern design with vastly improved components. Take, for instances, the J-Pipe that lacks the "plate" that plagued the EJ downpipe for years. The improvement in design also implies that an aftermarket downpipe doesn't net the same gains as years past -- and the data show this.

I think I can get on board with your statement ONLY for certain range of bolt-ons. Key difference is that the WRX doesn't require fuel system modifications to run bolt-ons to 330-350whp. The STI requires fuel system modification at any point after "stage 1." Fuel system upgrades are cheap.

·
Æternum
16,063 Posts
I had a "think" on this and I believe I can see your perspective. By using a much more modern design, it's a quicker mod tree to get into the big power adders like turbos. Up to a point, clearly.

·
Registered
171 Posts
I had a "think" on this and I believe I can see your perspective. By using a much more modern design, it's a quicker mod tree to get into the big power adders like turbos. Up to a point, clearly.
This is basically what I was getting at. Because you don't need to do the same level of fueling upgrades on an FA as you would an EJ say when adding a downpipe and intake, and because the components are of newer tech; its generally a bit cheaper to make more power.

However the FA seems a bit more limited in total power on the stock block then the EJ...Maybe. That's debatable since EJs are known to hold up at 450 and grenade at 250 lol

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
yea. I was wondering what "stronger meant" I actually ended up getting a 2019 without being aware of this first. I wonder if ringland will still be an issue

·
Registered
171 Posts
yeah who knows. To me honestly, my perception that Rod failure is much more common then ringland failure. Ringland seems to be caused by lack of supporting mods like an AOS.

Rod failure seems to be caused by lack of proper oiling in the bottom end and might happen because your stock..might happen because your heavily modded..it seems random.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
yeah who knows. To me honestly, my perception that Rod failure is much more common then ringland failure. Ringland seems to be caused by lack of supporting mods like an AOS.

Rod failure seems to be caused by lack of proper oiling in the bottom end and might happen because your stock..might happen because your heavily modded..it seems random.
AOS?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.