ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 89 Posts

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Any chance the 2012 might get keyless entry and ignition?

I saw some pics of a JDM sti and it had a push start ignition. Just wondering if there is any chance the 2012 WRX might get it?

Sent from tapatalk.

Edit: I should have been more clear. I ment keyless car where as long at the key is on you and your near the car you just push the start button and it starts.

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
They've had that in jdm subaru's for a long time now. I really have no clue why we don't have the smart system. It's funny because when we have to program keys or immobilizers it asks if it's a smart system or not. Total bs. lol.

·
Pro Manscaper
21,455 Posts
That would be badass...S2000s have had them since well, 2000. They are awesome. Though you still have to put the key in and press the start button.

However in a rental Nissan Altima, I completely forgot about the smart start where you leave the key fob in the pocket, and press the button...I got out of the car, and it shut off when I walked away, but the accessory function stayed on, killing the battery. That was annoying.

But if you really want, I'm sure there are aftermarket kits you could find if you really want to splice things...which I wouldn't do. Or see if there is a vendor that sells the JDM OEM kit.

·
Registered
6,751 Posts
Yeah, there are aftermarket kits, but it's just a toy with no practical purpose. You still have to put the key in the ignition with those, so what's the point?

·
Premium Member
17,655 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
I would really love to hear your novice explanation as to why push buttons suck.
Nothing novice about it. It's just one more worthless weight adding electronic device that has a higher likelihood of needing to be replaced. Can't beat a standard key...

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
Nothing novice about it. It's just one more worthless weight adding electronic device that has a higher likelihood of needing to be replaced. Can't beat a standard key...
worthless weight? Come on man. This is where you didn't think it through. You think that little plastic button weighs more then a lock cylinder? Get with the times.

·
Premium Member
17,655 Posts
There's actually a reason behind them, and the placement. If your racecar spins out, and stalls, then the start button is on the left, and you just click it to start, and it leaves your right hand free to get your car in the correct gear.

There isn't any point on the road car, but as road cars become more track friendly (ie s2000, EVO, and STi) it's starting to become a popular accessory.

·
Registered
2,663 Posts
push button alone isn't worth it for me. The smart keys are sweet though. Walk up to the door and it unlocks, sit down and push a button and your off and going. Only down side......keys cost $300 to replace or get extras

·
Premium Member
17,655 Posts
the M5 requires that you have the key on you, and as soon as you touch the door handle, it unlocks. It's pretty cool.

·
Super Moderator (Actually a SuperSpy)
29,451 Posts
The Prius does this too.

·
Registered
2,663 Posts
you think that button is all there is to it? :rofl
I don't think that 5 pounds max is going to make much difference.

Kevin - thats exactly what I mean, that would be an awesome upgrade. Cant cost more than a few hundred dollars a car to implement at the factory. If i ever bought a car with it I would require 3 keys come in the deal no matter what though

·
Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Admin
48,722 Posts
"The more they overthink the plumbing, the easier it is to stop up the drain." -- Montgomery Scott

It's neat, but nothing that would effect my decision to purchase a car. If I'm so old, lazy, or decrepit that I can't put in a key and turn it, then I probably shouldn't be operating a motorized vehicle anyway. :)

·
Registered
778 Posts
I remember back when Toyota was having all those "unintended accelerations", Car & Driver mentioned in an article that some of the push-button starts were somewhat convoluted to turn off, or wouldn't while in gear. (or something like that) That would be my only reservation, is that I would be taken "out of the loop" with regard to the ignition process. I like knowing I have some level of control.

...not to mention, that's another thing that could go wrong on the car. I really hate most of those "convenience" electronics. I'd buy my car with manual windows if I could...

·
Premium Member
25,496 Posts
I just looked at a new challenger r/t classic that had a smart key.. Nifty feature but still used the key in the ignition

1 - 20 of 89 Posts