Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curious if there are any boxing fans out there? Anyone see Delahoya v Vargas? I thought it was a real good fight. Can't wait to see De la Hoya fight Mosley again, or even better Vernon Forrest.

·
Banned
1,275 Posts
my friend is the district champion in the 155 weight class.
Im sure he can kick anyones ass, cept maybe this monk asian dude.

·
Registered
213 Posts
didn't see it live, but will be watching (or taping) the HBO re-broadcast on saturday. SI has one fairly big photo and two smaller ones in their write up (didn't read it yet); looks like it was pummelicious. i don't follow it closely, but will usually watch the hbo, fox sports network, and espn fights.

Roamin'

·
Registered
5 Posts
I thought that was a good fight. I was surprised that Vargas was controlled as he was in the first few rounds. I am still not sure if he really had De La Hoya in trouble or if it was just Oscar's usual fear of being hit.

I would have let that go for a little longer though. The ref was justified in stopping but given the bad blood and Vargas's performance against Trinidad, I would have let him get up at least once more.

Vargas was a complete punk for leaving the ring afterwards without acknowledging Oscar.

I don't think Oscar will fight Forrest, he has too much to lose.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
snidley said:
I thought that was a good fight. I was surprised that Vargas was controlled as he was in the first few rounds. I am still not sure if he really had De La Hoya in trouble or if it was just Oscar's usual fear of being hit.

I would have let that go for a little longer though. The ref was justified in stopping but given the bad blood and Vargas's performance against Trinidad, I would have let him get up at least once more.

Vargas was a complete punk for leaving the ring afterwards without acknowledging Oscar.

I don't think Oscar will fight Forrest, he has too much to lose.
I think a lot of people underestimate De La Hoya's chin, he took some good hits in this fight.

I think the ref stopped it on time, Vargas had his hands down, just taking a beating, he couldn't go no more.

I don't think he has anything to lose by fighting Forrest. He's a millionaire 100 times over, he's fought all the top fighters of his time and only lost to one (imho). Watch for him to fight Mosley next year. :)

·
Registered
242 Posts
I think anyone who questions De La Hoya's chin must not remember when he fought Chavez a few years ago. That was brutal!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Flyboy said:
I think anyone who questions De La Hoya's chin must not remember when he fought Chavez a few years ago. That was brutal!
I don't question De La Hoya chin, I just don't think he likes getting his face marked up. Sometimes that means he'll coast and not press when he has the advantage (read Trinidad). Of course, that is the smart thing to do because he won't sound like Riddick Bowe in 10 years.

I still don't think he'll fight Forrest. It isn't as big a "name" fight as rematches to Mosley and Felix and he could easily lose, especially if you follow the logic Forrest beat Mosely who beat De La Hoya.

·
Registered
779 Posts
I watched that fight live. It was pretty good. I was a little worried about Oscar in the first few rounds but after the 1st half of the fight, things looked really good for him.
I think Vargas has a lot of potential but his style doesn't work for him. He brawls a lot more than he tries to box. When you have a "weak"(I use this term loosely because not too many people would be able to take the beatings he's endured and gotten back up again) chin like he does, you can't afford to be a standing target. I think if he changes his style a bit, he will really be a serious contender with how powerful his punches are. Vargas' downfall is his inexperience, style and his big mouth. I think a little humility would go a long way for him. Prince Hassim had a big mouth also but in most cases he was able to back what he said up, where Vargas' mouthed off about Oscar and Trinidad and got his a$$ kicked.

I went to Vargas' website and a couple of weeks ago there was this little bit of commentary about how the fight was postponed because Oscar hurt his pinky. His website is not so bad except for this part.

http://www.fernandovargas.com/main.html

Check out his biography. Could anybody have used the words "Aztec Warrior" more. I cringe everytime I even remember one of the sentences in the bio. :eek:
Did anybody watch the interview he gave on Thursday?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Kira said:
Did anybody watch the interview he gave on Thursday?
I heard about it, he finally gave some respect to De La Hoya. I felt bad for Vargas after he got knocked out( probably because people say I look like him ), although I was rooting for Oscar.

Vargas is a good fighter with a lot of potential. He doesn't talk stuff before his fights, with the exception of the De La Hoya. I think he'll learn from this defeat and be back.

·
Registered
213 Posts
alright, i watched my tape. i was surprised that vargas didn't keep pressing after the 4th/5th rounds. Maybe he ran out of gas, but it wouldn't have taken a genius to see the advantage he had when the match became more brawl-like. To his credit though, oscar looked as crisp and sharp as he's looked in recent memory - real class. You could tell he just had to much hand (and foot) speed for vargas.

I too thought yeah, the ref stopped the fight appropriately, but upon reflection I thought he could've given him a standing 8 or something. when i watched the last flurry in the corner, none of those punches were that solid. but, when you have a fighter with vargas' renown for heart - aztec WARRIOR (just for you Kira) you ought to give him a little credit/chance to fight out of it. a good fight, though.

is anybody else sick of larry merchant????

Roamin'

·
Registered
5 Posts
Unified rules don't allow for a standing eight so the ref had to either stop it or let it go. I really think the bodywork Oscar put in paid off. He was reaching that jab for the ribs from the opening bell.

I think Vargas has hit the highpoint in his career and is on his way down. You can see the damage already in the interviews and it won't take but a few more beatings to send him off to the drooling section. He should try for another big name ppv payday and call it quits. Of course he won't.

Larry Merchant is already firmly in the drooling section. His longwinded stupidity and George's baseless opinions make the HBO broadcast sheer misery. I feel bad for Jim Lampely as he is stuck between two supreme idiots.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts