ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I probably need to replace my stock radiator due to leak at ~80K+ miles.

I do not need more cooling, I just want a quality, price effective replacement that will bolt-up to everything like the stock unit including fans, mounts, tabs, etc. Prefer not thicker if possible.

Please suggest products that you've had good experience with, or comment about bad experiences.

Thanks for any advice.
Mike

·
Super Moderator
33,822 Posts

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks! Where'd you get the Koyo?

·
Registered
6,751 Posts
Why do you say your radiator is due to leak? 80k miles isn't a lot for a radiator if you've replaced the coolant regularly. It could last twice that. Why spend money on something you don't have to?

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sorry, I meant due to the fact that its leaking.

·
Super Moderator (Actually a SuperSpy)
29,452 Posts
I find it surprising your rad lasted 80K miles. I'm on my third radiator.

·
Registered
6,751 Posts
I find it surprising your rad lasted 80K miles. I'm on my third radiator.
What are you doing? Filling your radiators with acid? ;)

·
Premium Member
15,697 Posts
What are you doing? Filling your radiators with acid? ;)
Plastic end caps - happens all the time. Mine went <80K (current mileage on my '03) and is the only thing that I've replaced because it was necessary in almost ten years.

·
29,452 Posts
Plastic end caps - happens all the time. Mine went <80K (current mileage on my '03) and is the only thing that I've replaced because it was necessary in almost ten years.
My first one went at 6K. My second had been leaking for a while, and I had hoped it was the top hose instead, but it wasn't, plus the top hose fitting collapsed upon inspection and the neighbours are still probably wondering what demon got into me that morning, they must have been able to hear me blocks away. I tend to avoid swearing in English in the top of my lungs so as to not offend (school zone) but the language barrier may in itself have been troubling to them (imagine some guy screaming full blast 0800 or so on a weekday and you can't make out a word, is it better or worse?...). Good times. Went Koyo, OEM style.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Any opinions on Mishimoto?

Why would silicone top and bottom hoses be worth the extra $25+ cost over rubber?

Thanks

·
Registered
226 Posts
What up man i put a mishimoto radiator in my 03 wrx theres a thread on it with pictures somewhere. You can keep the factory hoses you'll just have to cut them to compensate for the wideness i took off 1/4 in. maybe. I did it little by little till it fit good. You dont need the silicone hoses they just dress up the engine bay a little. Since i replaced it havent had any problems. Now on the down side you wont be able to put headers on your car unless you get the aluminum fan shroud from mishimoto. My opinion on koyo aluminum is the radiators do the same exact thing its just how much you want to spend. i think the koyo was almost an extra 150 dollars. long story short mishimoto is fine and you get a sticker!

·
Premium Member
15,697 Posts
I have had zero issues with the Mishimoto

·
29,452 Posts
What do you mean by "OEM style"? Plastic?
Yes. Koyo makes a plastic end tank rad that includes a secondary cooler for the transmission fluid on the bottom. This can be left unused for 5spd cars or connected and used for automatic transmission cars.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
When you say "end tank", what end? My stock radiator has a plastic top.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I went with a Mishimoto from maperformance, 2 day shipping, good pricing @ 263 shipped.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Installed the Mishimoto. Went well. Since this radiator has a cap on it, but the stock one didn't, I'm just going to plug it's overflow pipe. The stock cap and overflow pipe will still be there above the intake manifold. Anyone see any problems with that?

·
The Fruit
4,728 Posts
If anything having the extra cap can help with bleeding the system.. but really shouldn't make too much of a difference.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts