Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know of any aftermarket company that sells, going to sell, planning to sell, or should be selling a good reliable anti-lag system--that you can use for everyday street use. I'd buy one if it was affordable, because lets face it LAG SUCKS!:)

·
Premium Member
3,539 Posts
There is such a thing, but as far as I know they are for race use only. IIRC they actually detonate fuel in the intake (or is it exhaust?) to keep the turbo spinning.

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
I don't think that an anti-lag system would be very kind to the turbo for everyday use. Heck, I doubt that the WRC turbos would last very long without constant maintenance!

Aloha,
Richard...

·
Registered
699 Posts
Oh yeah!!! :p thanks for the correction. I just remembered reading about those. :cool: I haven't heard of any street cars really running them.

Otherwise a shot of nitrous will give you some low end power

·
1,263 Posts
They inject fuel between the exhaust port and the turbo to maintain pressure on the turbine - that gives that cool - barrrrp barrrp- when they are off the throttle in the WRC.

It is definitely not kind to everything mechanical and you would draw one hell of a lot of attention from local law enforcement with the noise and the 2 foot flames that are likely to be shooting out your tailpipe.

Could be fun though!!! ;)

·
Registered
16 Posts
Majority of the race cars here [in Brunei] have anti-lag including Ralli Art Autronics tuned EVO III, PossumBourne Link WRX/STi, and Haltech WRX and RX7. This setup is overkill for our 220M drags and not only is anti-lag damaging to the turbocharger, the immense heat produces by ALS also damages downpipes, headers. We have a WRX that ran JUN headers and another that ran stock headers, both headers broke! I have seen the one running JUN headers, guy starts the car COLD with ALS on and within 30 seconds the JUN headers glowed bright orange-how healthy is that? We have idiots who ran ALS on the street and nearly rear ended another vehicle simply due to their ignorance about anti-lag. At least on the PossumLink ALS, once activated, you easily lose up to 70% braking as vacuum is monopolised by ALS. You have to remember that most of these race cars are also daily driven to work so the temptation is easily succumbed.

·
Banned
7,636 Posts
bone stock, the WRX is very lag friendly. it's really not bad at all, and if you do some of the basic mods, BC, uppipe etc. you should be a virtually no lag.

i wouldn't bother with an anti lag kit. the respective benefits don't out weigh the cost, and the wear to your car.

dR

·
Premium Member
785 Posts
Anti-lag is just as described above(fuel injected into the exhaust to keep turbo spooled). Open class and similar rally cars do have anti-lag plumbed in, however, you'll notice that they do not keep anti-lag on all the time, stage after stage. As for police looking out for you, it wouldn't be hard to find you given the thundering crack that follows everytime you shift.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I know people running antilag on their RX-7s with the haltech..

They have 100s of passes at the strip with it on.. and they have not had turbo problems..

It is more reliable then the way they do it in WRC, they don't actually inject fuel into the turbo.. it is injected to the engine and the engine is retarted so much it fires as the flame from expands into the exhaust..

If you have a haltech play with it.. but have some spare money for a new tranny when you blow it up. and you will...

-Zach

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
Welcome Jan Shim! I'm sure we will benefit from your experience!

Aloha,
Richard...

P.S. Nitrous = Anti-Lag :) = Broken Drivetrains :-(

1 - 14 of 14 Posts