Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys. Did this search and couldn't find what I'm looking for.

2 weeks ago I put in an up pipe. This morning I noticed a very small puddle of antifreeze directly under the turbo area. I did jack it up and I can notice it dripping from the Turbo bracket so I know it's coming from that area.

I have the PDE uppipe. I have no boost leaks at all. Could someone shed some light on the coolant lines, where they run on the turbo and how to fix this?

Much appreciated.

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
Whoever installed your uppipe removed the turbo to do it. There is a coolant inlet and outlet on the side of the turbo. The steel lines are secured to the side of the turbo by banjo bolts (they look like big brass bolts but they're steel) which seal with copper washers. Either the washers were not reinstalled or the bolts aren't tight. Why the bolts would have been removed indicates an inexperienced installer. Like me!

Remove your intercooler and heat shield for access, remove the rubber coolant hoses from the turbo, and check the the two large bolts on the driver's side of the turbo which secure the steel coolant line to the turbo. Either they're not tight, or the washers are missing. Washers fit on both side of the bolts so there should be four washers.

It's a small PITA, but it's not that challenging. The banjo bolts are maybe 17 mm. They round off easily, and are difficult to "crack" open, so be sure you have the right socket.

misterx

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I did the install per PDE instructions. Never removed the turbo or touched those bolts. I'll check them though. It looks like it is coming from way underneath. On the driver turbo side.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.