ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
hi am new to this site but really need help with my car had in for a bit now but its hard to find people that know about them . i have put two engines in it now first engine was ok at first but start running bad and holding back so i thought it must be the engine so pulled it out and put my new one in but now it has started again the only thing i,ve not change is the oxygen senor and the ecu please help:( its a 99 impreza sti . ant is short for my name anthony

·
Registered
633 Posts
Hi i have a car it doesn't work. Anyone know whats wrong with it?

·
Pro Manscaper
21,455 Posts
^^^Basically...

OP...we need DETAILS. Please tell us what car you have. What the original problem was, then what went wrong, then what went wrong?

You can't expect anyone to know what's wrong if they don't even know what you're talking about.

·
Registered
2,606 Posts
^^^Basically...

OP...we need DETAILS. Please tell us what car you have. What the original problem was, then what went wrong, then what went wrong?

You can't expect anyone to know what's wrong if they don't even know what you're talking about.
His car is broken, I always rip out the engine with ANY issue...lol

OT: I'm more confused why the name of the thread is "ant"...

·
Registered
6,751 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
hi am new to this site but really need help with my car had in for a bit now but its hard to find people that know about them . i have put two engines in it now first engine was ok at first but start running bad and holding back so i thought it must be the engine so pulled it out and put my new one in but now it has started again the only thing i,ve not change is the oxygen senor and the ecu please help:( its a 99 impreza sti
and ant its my name its short for anthony and part of taking the engine out was having the engine painted too

·
Lando Calrissian
3,787 Posts
Ant, it may go better if you can give all the info you have. What issues are you having (more description than 'running bad and holding back'), what symptoms, any mods that you know of, etc.

What we know thus far:
1999 Impreza STi ( is this a JDM, or are you in Australia, or what?)
older O2 sensor and ECU
runs bad, 'holds back'

we would need to know what you mean by runs bad and holds back....is it idling rough? Does it surge? does it spew smoke? does it make noises? what kind? Give us an idea of what the average driver would notice if they came and took it for a test-drive

·
The Fruit
4,728 Posts
Ok so we have a '99 wrx STI, .. keep in mind Ant this isn't a car we got here in the US.. so familiarity with it may be a little on the loose side.

What was it doing before you yanked the engine? We need to know that before we can help. ;)

Edit: Sorry .. I was late on the draw, questions already asked ... lol

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
am from england i,d put a photo of it on but its dark hear now .yes iding rough and missing fireing upto 3500 rev but then clears up but yes smokes when starting up from cold and in boost a little engine as only low miles on it .i thought with it was missing the timing was out so re-time it but same so changed coil pack and all parts on engine what could be part of this problem more or less all senor but not plug ecu in or change 02 senor

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
was not able to drive it with the old engine smoking and was like it was running on 2 clinders i still have old engine and am always pulling the engine out in the summer fitting new parts somthing i like doing

·
Lando Calrissian
3,787 Posts
ok, so now we know rough idle, missfire at below 3500 RPM, smoke at low rpm.

It sounds to me like it is running too rich at low RPM, which seems to clear as boost kicks in. The O2 could be an issue, or maybe injectors are too far open at low revs.

Anyone wanna yea/nea that assessment?

Additionally, you mentioned the '99 STi being a EJ20 (more or less) with 280bhp....but that you are putting out more than that..... What mods have you done/does it have? If you are running stock ECU tuning, but have larger injectors and turbo, that could be your issue.

We need a better idea of what you have. What mods. any custom tuning?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
thanks that could be the problem . am running a td05 turbo , no cat, full 3" stainless with 4 at ex. stainless manfold and later model top intercooler a bit bigger then my old one .

1 - 20 of 24 Posts