ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got a nube ass question. Does the outback sport have the same engine as the wrx? Mainly concerned because i am trying to find a power steering pump and all i can find for a decent price is for the outback sport and the RS. please any info would help greatly

·
Master Baiter
22,114 Posts
The Outback Sport is not the same engine as the WRX.

·
Lando Calrissian
3,787 Posts
Likely depends a bit on the year, but basically the Outback Sport is the top level Impreza, plus bigger wheels, resulting in a higher ride height. Both use a 2.0L/2.2L/2.5L (depending on year) engine, but none of the performance adders found on the WRX or STI (engine or suspension) are in the Outback Sport. That being said, they *might* use the same P/S pump....give us a MY.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
well i talked to the warehouse that i was going to buy the part from and they told me that it would not work on my 05 wrx. I dont see why it wouldnt if it is the same engine.....

·
Lando Calrissian
3,787 Posts
it is NOT the same engine. While they have similar displacements, the outback sport is naturally aspirated, not turbo charged. This means that many of the components are changed out to change compression ratios and tolerances.....however, *some* parts would be shared. It appears that the steering pump is one of the things changed out

·
Premium Member
25,496 Posts
How many times does it need to be stated that they absolutely aren't the same

·
Registered
6,751 Posts
I'd bet the internals are the same, but the casing/casting isn't, so it won't mount up.

·
Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Admin
48,699 Posts
So you're saying they are the same right?
That's my take-away from the conversation. I'll put it in a sticky. Or something.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
P/s pump/head gasket!?

I decided to have a few friends look at it the power steering pump isnt really the same so i decided to take a different approach and it ended up being the pulley that is on the ac compressor. Seeing how its not summer i simply cut the belt that was on the pulley eliminating the sound. In the process however i made a mistake and pulled the water tank assembly pressure cap right off the water tank assembly. I ordered a new one. Now all my car does is smoke pretty bad. I used some jb weld to put the cap on. seeing how everything seemed fine i took the car around the block and almost immediately the car started to get real hot and then smoke. I dont know what my car is doing but it seems like maybe I blew something due to pressure. Really hoping its not the head gasket problem?

If someone has any info. Got some cash.

·
Lando Calrissian
3,787 Posts
stop!

what exactly did you cut, and what did you break? post some pics so we can look.

What started all of this monkeying with the engine? what was the beginning symptom? I ask as you started this thread about looking for a steering pump, and now are stating you fixed the issue by cutting a belt.....a failing steering pump would not sound like, nor feel like a loose belt or an AC compressor failing.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Okay..

Basically my car was whining. I mean extremely loud. My first intial thoughts were the power steering pump or maybe a failing bearing in the alternator. Come to find out it was the pulley on the ac compressor that is rusted and wearing down. So to eliminate the noise i cut the belt that the ac compressor uses. Lost some power, but seems fine otherwise.
The water tank assembly toward the turbo. Has a pressure cap on it. I had a screwdriver slid underneath sone of the hoses that connect to it. I pulled the screwdriver and tore the cap straight off of the tank. So i tried to jb weld the **** out of it but car is still getting Hot

·
Super Moderator (Actually a SuperSpy)
29,225 Posts
Replace the tank. Then burp the system. After that, burp the system again, and finish by burping the system. Your car is overheating because you haven't burped the system. I would not drive on a patched (JB'ed) tank anyway.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ya the tank is on order. Damn Christmas!!! So does this eliminate the possiblity of it being the head gasket because im worried sick about it being that...
Thanks for the input. Do you know where i can find a write on this replacement. Also is it called the water tank assembly or the expansion tank

·
29,225 Posts
Ya the tank is on order.
If you ordered a "COOLANT FILLER TANK" for your specific model you should be OK.

Damn Christmas!!!
It's fun. The shopping is a pain, so just give cash. Great time otherwise.

So does this eliminate the possiblity of it being the head gasket because im worried sick about it being that...
If you did not overheat the car, yes. If you did overheat the car, no. Search on how to burp the system. Make no conclusions until you burp the system thoroughly.

Do you know where i can find a write on this replacement.
No. My tank has three bolts; the torque for the upper two is 19 Nm, and for the lower bolt 21 Nm (I leave any conversions to ft*lbs or other such units to you; I've resolved to move entirely to metric and/or SI units at this point). Undo the hoses, undo the bolts, replace the tank, torque the mounting bolts, re-connect the hoses. Then burp the system again and again and again and also burp the system.

Also is it called the water tank assembly or the expansion tank
See above.

·
Lando Calrissian
3,787 Posts
Well, if you keep driving it with the busted tank and not burping it, then it might become a head gasket or even a cracked block.

Removing the AC belt should have increased power rather than lowered it.

Replace the tank first and foremost. Then burp the system like it were a colic suffering baby! Once that is done, we can help assess the other issues you are having.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Damn thanks for the help guys. I have only a few other worries now. You said that if i overheated it tuen i might have possibly blown the head gasket. I did drive it briefly and it did heat up but not all the way to the red. I know that we cant determibe this right this moment, but what are the chances? Also, i went to subaru and talked to a tech and he loooked it up according to my VIN but he called it the water tank assembly. But yiu call it the coolant tank assembly? Hope i didnt order the wrong part! !

·
29,225 Posts
But yiu call it the coolant tank assembly? Hope i didnt order the wrong part! !
What I call it is irrelevant. The service manual calls it the coolant filler tank for the US model 2002 Impreza turbo motor. There are only two coolant reservoirs on the motor, so your chances are 50:50 without considering your description while ordering, and increase dramatically because only one reservoir has a rad cap on it. I'd not worry.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Okay awesome. Hopefully the part will be in tommorow. Ill be in touch after I replace it and burp the system ridiculously. Thanks for all the help guys.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts