ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
631 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My car has been sitting at my parents house for exactly 1 week without being started. I came to pick the car up today, turned the key and it caughed & sputtered for about 20 seconds before it finally fired. Now it runs as if the computer has been reset. At idle (which is now 1600 rpm insted of 650 or so) it randomly surges. I took it out for about 20 minutes and drove around the neighborhood and out on the interstate. It runs normally on the interstate other than some jerky throttle input. Did my computer somehow reset itself this week or what? One theory I came up with was the grounding for my UTEC. Maybe it wasn't grounded very well and somehow drained the power out of the computer. But that might not be right, because the battery seemed fine and had lots of juice. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
13,126 Posts
I'm not surprised that it was idling at 1,600rpms. Thats totally normal. That happens also when its really cold outside, or in your case, when you haven't driven recently. I get that sometimes when I haven't driven my car in...oh....4 days or so.

As for the jerkiness, are you sure you waited for the car to fully warm up before you mashed the gas? That could be a cause of the jerkiness you are describing. If you let it warm up, the fact that the car sat there for a week could make it just have to shake all the cobwebs loose from it.

·
Registered
631 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No, it was still idling high and jerking after 20 minutes of driving. That's normal? (the idling part)

·
Registered
631 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
UPDATE...went and reset the computer completely, drove it around for a while to let everything relearn and i'm getting the same problem. Surging idle (goes to 700rpm then shoots up to 1600) maybe 3 times then it settles in around 1200 with a very sick sounding exhaust. Turned on the A/c just to see what would happen and the idle went down to about 1000 and surged to about 1100 over and over until I turned the switch off. Drive it around the block or on the highway & its fine. I will go drive it some more in an hour or so...and wouldn't you know it, all this happens at 36,100 miles. Figures.

Also, my dad drove the car to his house last Saturday before it was parked. He got gas and he swore he put 93 in it. I had warned him about that beforehand, but he is old :rolleyes: If he had put in 89 would this be happening?

·
Registered
4,016 Posts
let the car run close to empty and then fill it with 93....

thatll rule that problem out.

low grade crap gas = stuttering and crap performance.

·
Registered
10,357 Posts
unless you got some mad mods on it, 89 octane won't make you idle funny. 89 octane just means you don't have the detonation resistence of 93 gas. it will only come into play when you hit boost...the stock ECU should be able to pull enough timing to make it work...but you lose some power...if you have some kind of engine management that REQUIRES 93...that's a different story.

maybe your dad went out over the weekend and did some street racing and used your hot car to pick up chicks. :eek:

·
Registered
113 Posts
what are your mods and have you tried taking the utec out of the equation?

resetting the ecu shouldnt make the car idle like that. something is causing it.

i'd first try to get the EM back to stock just to see how it idles. after that i'd probably hook up a laptop w/DD and see if there are CEl codes.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts