ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, i have a tire recommendation request for my 2002 wrx on stock wheels
im currently running the snow tires that came on the car when i bought it. the PO didnt give me any summer tires, so i need some soon!

here are the things i use the car for:
-mostly commuting to work
-every couple days i run up to out mountain bike trails (dirt/gravel roads)
-traveling -main ones are a 300mile trip to tacoma WA and then on occasion an 800 mile trip to Travis AFB in CA but im also going to be going to a local mountain that offers downhill biking which is about 120 miles away
-on the weekends i like to go hit up some of our service roads for a little fun (packed/loose dirt)
-i also go out to our backroads (paved) for some spirited driving
-id like to hit up a few auto-x's as well

i know this is asking a lot from a tire
i suppose i would like a decently long treadlife at least a year or two
and i would like decent gas mileage for the trips
all the others are technically un-needed because i can make do without them. i used to take my previous car up (vw) on crappy khumo tires and slammed and i got there ok after some bottoming out :tongue:

if any of you have a rec for tire brand/model/size it would be appreciated!
i did hear that 225/45/16 is a common upgrade for more grip over the stock 205/50's any light to shed on that as well?

thanks in advance!

·
Master Baiter
22,114 Posts
What wheels do you have on the car?

·
Pro Manscaper
21,455 Posts
I just bought a set of Cooper Zeon RS3-S tires for my STI. They are summers, but have a 280 or 300 treadwear rating. I've had them on for about 300 miles now and I am absolutely loving them. They won't break the bank either (got them from DiscountTireDirect.com). Bo (T0rque) is also running them on one of his Subarus and he also enjoys them.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm using the stock wheels.

I'll look into those Coopers, thanks!
How do they handle? Good traction? Much sidewall flex?

Sent from my HTC Incredible 2

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
im also considering just getting a cheap set of stock sized tires for the summer until i can get a nice set of aftermarket wheels and i can retire the stockers to snow tires and then worry about getting "nice" tires for the new wheels (probably 17's)

thoughts on that?

·
Premium Member
15,697 Posts
I wouldn't go more than 215

Choices are extremely limited in that size, so the wheels sound like a good idea.

In the stock size, Continental ExtremeContact DW is very light, good mileage, and should be entirely livable. It is the only good summer choice I see in that size.

·
Pro Manscaper
21,455 Posts
I'm using the stock wheels.

I'll look into those Coopers, thanks!
How do they handle? Good traction? Much sidewall flex?

Sent from my HTC Incredible 2
The traction has been great so far. I feel so confident in turns, but obviously not where I'm dangerous with it. But the sidewall flex seems to be very minimal, which contributes to the increased traction and handling through turns. T0rque has said that they just keep improving with more miles and after they get broken in, so I'm looking even more forward to them.

they dont make the coopers in any 16" sizes :(
:sadwave:

im also considering just getting a cheap set of stock sized tires for the summer until i can get a nice set of aftermarket wheels and i can retire the stockers to snow tires and then worry about getting "nice" tires for the new wheels (probably 17's)

thoughts on that?
I can support this...get an 8inch wide wheel and step up to 225 or 235 width...much improved summer traction. Keeping the 16s for winters with a 205 or 215 width winter tire will be good for you. Look up wheels from Rota. They are good price for wheels that are made pretty well and have a lot of good styles/colors to choose from.

·
SuperNova
11,904 Posts
I wouldn't go more than 215

Choices are extremely limited in that size, so the wheels sound like a good idea.

In the stock size, Continental ExtremeContact DW is very light, good mileage, and should be entirely livable. It is the only good summer choice I see in that size.
+ everything here. I love the Conti Extreme contact DW/DWS.

·
Master Baiter
22,114 Posts
You're really asking too much of the tires. A tire for pavement and Auto-X won't do well on dirt/gravel. I always used to swap winters on when I wanted to go off pavement.

I won't be doing that with my Nokians, though.

·
Premium Member
15,697 Posts
The continental dws is a horrible tire. Lots of road noise and also has a squishy feel to its handling. I would go for michilen super sport.

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?qasemv
The DWS is an entirely different tire from the DW I recommend.

Are you recommending the 17" PSS on a 16" rim :confused:

·
Premium Member
15,697 Posts
I will never buy continental tires again after these f****** dws. Horrible brand. Dont they make dws for 16'?
They don't make the Michelin super sport 16"

If you want to write off a brand based on one tire go ahead. The DW is a sumer performance tire, not A/S like yours. When the bugeyes came out the were on Bridgestone RE92, a tire that had really lousy dry grip and everyone hated. However, the 960 pole position was the best A/S I have ever run. Regardless, a LOT of people disagree with you about Continental as a brand.

·
Pro Manscaper
21,455 Posts
The continental dws is a horrible tire. Lots of road noise and also has a squishy feel to its handling. I would go for michilen super sport.
Since when is anyone in a WRX worried about road noise? I'd rather hear the road noise than all the creaks, squeaks, and rattles. If you think about it, it's pretty difficult to find a lower profile 17 or 18inch tire that doesn't have road noise. My Coopers have very little noise...much less than even my winters.

I've personally never heard a bad thing about any Continentals. I was looking into the DWs myself.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts