Subaru WRX Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New to forum but i've been reading and looking for a couple weeks now. I am interested in a 2017/2018 WRX base model(or premium if there isn't much difference in price). I had a couple questions and concerns. I currently use a 99 camry as a daily driver and have a 07 F-150 4x4 I keep in garage. I will be moving in a few months to a larger city and think it's best to get rid of my truck while it still has some value, so I wanted to replace it with an AWD 4 door of some sort.
What I am looking for in a car:
AWD, 4-door, Manual Trans(severely limits my options), better gas milage than truck(12mpg), reliability, something semi-sporty, and something semi-unique.
Concerns:
Road noise and ride comfort are two major ones. I have yet to drive but one I am supposed to meet up at dealership on tuesday but not sure a test drive will give me an accurate view on those.
Questions:
I've contacted a couple dealers in my state and most are quoting msrp of 27k for a base model. I read on here and other places that 2% below invoice is pretty normal, what is invoice?
Is the premium worth the 3k$ difference for me? I am not interested in higher end stereo's, heated seats or a sunroof.

I had also looked into the Ford Fusion and Audi A4 but the Audi was a little above my max 30k price range. I would like to stay under 25k if possible. Under all "best cars for under 30k" the WRX keeps getting listed and with the manual trans keeps leading me back to the WRX(also resale value and trade in seems to hold well). I lost track of thought as I was posting so I am sure I had other questions. If any of you guys got reccomendations or possibily something I may need to think about please let me know.

Thanks!

·
Master Baiter
12,649 Posts
Where are you located?

·
Master Baiter
12,649 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

·
Water.....sometimes waves
1,611 Posts
Road/wind noise should be better on the new cars; I hear they use thicker glass now and have done something else also. My 15 is noisy compared to what i was used to; but I have learned to live with it. It rides much rougher than what I was used to also; but learned to live with that also. The fun factor makes it worth it. I get an actual 32.5 average mpg with mine.

The Premium was the choice for me because I wanted the heated seats, mirrors, wipers. I find all these invaluable in Cleveland. If you are not in a wintery area, then no need for the premium.

·
Registered
41 Posts
i have the 2017 base for less than $26k. im pretty sure you can negotiate that 27k. if you want the sunroof, heated seats and better looking rims, then Premium is the choice for you! a close friend of mine has the premium, and he was able to get for 28k and some change. Goodluck man!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for all the responses guys! Excited to test drive one tuesday. Unless the price is just right I plan on waiting a month or two before purchasing. Living a frugal summer so i'll have as much down payment as possible.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Get an 18 due to the improved sound insulation etc. If they did to the 18 WRX what they did to the 17 Forester (over the previous models) its well worth it. My 17 Forester was MUCH quieter and nicer to drive than my 15. My 17 WRX is noisy (wind/road) like my older Forester.

The car does ride a little stiff but the payback in handling in the twisties and just overall fun is worth it IMO. I drive 200 miles a day round trip to work, backroads and highway and have zero complaints, but I like a stiff performance oriented car.

All the base stereos are horrible and made far worse by the wind/road noise. I havent heard the HK system

Talk to Clayton and do a road trip or have it delivered. Even cost of transport will prob still see you saving $$$

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I made it to the dealership yesterday. The rep was really cool, sat me down and explained to me the differences between the Legacy, Impreza, and WRX. I liked all 3 of them... Only the impreza and wrx come in a manual though and I am pretty sure I would be disappointed in the long run getting the impreza with over 100hp less in power. Since I was not ready to buy that day I didnt try to negotiate price but he still estimated a 2018 wrx base to be around 27k but said he would "work with me".

I have been looking at used ones too but there isn't really a price different in the 2016, 2017, or 2018 models that I can find. Would take a 4k price difference or more for me to consider a used one. Absolutely love the newer body styles.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Word of advice - test drive the car. If the dealer won't let you, find another dealer.

My unsolicited $0.02.
I agree with this. I test drove twice, before buying mine. 3 times if you count the used STi I drove. Every dealer who said I couldn't drive instantly fell off my list.

·
Premium Member
418 Posts
Before you buy, check with me!! Even if I dont earn your business I will at least show you what a good sale price looks like for the car you want!! (it will give you negotiating grounds)

·
I Drink & I Know Things
1,906 Posts
Before you buy, check with me!! Even if I dont earn your business I will at least show you what a good sale price looks like for the car you want!! (it will give you negotiating grounds)
This is true. I did this back when January was around at Heuberger. Three local MI dealers basically laughed me away in comparison. Ultimately went with Heuberger....easy process and saved a ton of $ even with shipping.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts