ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I recently purchased an '02 WRX with about 45K miles on it. It makes a popping sound sometimes while going over bumps, but almost always when turning to the left ( load on the passenger side), it makes a very noticeable 'pop' sound from the passenger front of the car, and it pops once This only occurs when going approximately 5mph or faster with a quick turn to the left ( doesn't do it when sitting still, moving slowly, or bouncing the car). Also.... the suspension as of right now is 100% stock ( except for the new kyb struts recently installed).
I've searched around a bit here, and have found a few things that sounded similar that I checked out ( here's one that sounded very similar, http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/showthread.php?t=160505&highlight=popping+sound )......
I checked through work with a program we have, and it shows several complaints of customers with a 'popping' sound that was caused by the bottom of the spring having no isolator between the spring and the strut, and suggested putting a rubber shim/bushing in. This was the first thing I decided to do, mostly because the sound the spring makes when 'loading' and 'unloading' tension on the spring along the side of the strut sounds exactly like what I'm hearing ( with a pry bar).
I put in new struts in the front and slipped a piece of rubber hose around the bottom rung of the spring and used weather strip adhesive to keep it in place. This did absolutely nothing, in fact for a little while I think it made it worse.
I then came here and came across the thread linked to above which got me thinking.... when I replaced the struts and put the damper on the bottom of the spring, I never really removed the mount.... The spacer piece was in fact intact when I pulled it all apart the other day to check. I've also checked the FMIC as it is installed horribly, and that was making some noise where it went into the fender and was banging around in there ( idiots used a shop rag under the IC piping going into the fender..... idiots!).
I've pried on just about everything I can imagine ( lower control arm in multiple places, ball joint, tie rod end, sway bar end links, IC piping, motor mounts, thrust mounts, differential, transmission, and replaced the strut mount today just for the hell of it, with no luck.... Also, the vehicle had a new P.S. axle shaft, and P.S. tie rod end put in right before I got the vehicle.
Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated, as this is totally driving me nuts! I was hoping it would have been the spring issue on the strut as it sounds exactly like a spring getting twisted or binding up, but I don't know WTF is going on now....

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Well, I finally figured out a way to re-create the sound well enough to figure out what the problem was.... I got a flat tire yesterday and had to jack the car up on the driver's side rear pinch weld ( this is diagonal from the popping sound), when I was lifting it, sure enough ' POP '.... so today I came into work and jacked it up in the same spot and it popped again. It only does it once, and if you move the car forward or back a little and jack it up, it does it again. I had someone lift it for me while looking under the front bumper and it is definitely the sway bar end link.... I'll be replacing them shortly, but what a pain in the ass to figure out! I pried on that stupid stabilizer link like 10 different times while looking for the sound and never got it to pop. :screwy:

1 - 2 of 2 Posts