Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone. I got t-boned last month by a '96 Dodge Ram trying to "make" a light that was waaayyyyy too red. Totaled my two year old Grand Cherokee with $14k in damage.

Spent the next few weeks carefully deliberating my next purchase. I really thought I'd end up in an Outback, but I wanted the 6 cylinder that I couldn't really afford 'til I got some stuff paid down. I went by the local dealership with my gf to pick up her new Forester, and there she was..... a 2017 certified pre-owned WRX Premium with 9,000 miles. Some guy had bought it earlier in the year, then saw a bright, shiny, red, new STI on the website, and was in the next day to trade her. How could I walk away from it?? A brand new car at a semi-used price. This thing is in mint condition.....and I'm happier'n a pig in sh*t (excuse my Alabama slanguage).

Really though. I've been wanting a WRX for at least 15 years. I've had a turbo'd Audi A4, an old twin turbo 300zx (when I was 17), a '94 M5 (when I was stationed in Germany), and several others, but this.....this is what I've been waiting for. I don't plan on voiding my warranty anytime soon. I just want to enjoy it. This is the most fun that I've ever had driving something. I doubt I'll ever sell this thing.

Anywho....Sorry for the long-windedness. I really just wanted to introduce myself, and say hello from Birmingham. I'm always open to advice, and I'm always down for a beer, so if you're ever down this way just give me a shout.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hi Bamanerd,
I am also new to the group, I just bought a 2017 STI on Saturday. I have never owned a car with this much power (or a turbo for that matter) This is my 3rd Subaru, my first two were 99' Legacy Wagon 2.2L 5spd. and a 00' Legacy Wagon 2.5L 5spd. That is where I fell in love with the AWD and handling and knew my next car had to be another Suby. I have driven some very nice cars (Ferrari 430, Audi R8, Lambourgini Gallardo, Corvette Z06) and while my STI isn't quite the same (obviously), I am very impressed with it. Got mine with 6300 kms on it and all the tinting and such seen in the pic.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sorry guys. Apparently my reply didn't get approved by the mods for whatever reason. I don't think i dropped any four letter words. Although....they do just come out sometimes, lol.

Thanks for the warm welcomes everyone. They're much appreciated.

@Anarekist- First of all, I LOVE the screen name! Secondly, you bet. I'm a maintenance-aholic. I'm pretty ocd about taking care of my stuff. Partly because I grew up buying my own s**t.....not mommy and daddy paying for everything.

@Kenziel- I'll throw some glamour shots on here asap. I've only got a few that I snapped the other day after her first bath, but I'll get them on here. I always assumed that if I ever got a WRX, it'd be the iconic blue, but.....man does this silver look good, especially with the tint and gunmetal rims. I'd love to swap out the badging for matte black, and maybe some of those "red stars on field of black" Subaru emblems. I think that would just be effin sweet.

@niknoc- Welcome dude!! Very glad to meet a fellow newcomer. Looks like we bought our babies on the same day. Congrats on the STI!! I'm a little jealous now! She looks great.
Those older Legacy wagons are awesome! I used to drive an Army buddy's around back at Ft Hood. I loved that thing. It was soooo much fun. That's where I fell in love with Subaru AND wagons, lol. This is my first Suby, but I'm absolutely sure it won't be the last. As I mentioned earlier, my girlfriend/fiancee bought an '18 Forester the same day, so we're officially a Subaru family now. We're both just as happy as can be. We're gonna take hers on its first semi-roadtrip from here over to Atlanta tonight for a concert. That thing rides so damn smooth....and the handling is surprisingly sporty. I love it.
Like you, I've driven quiet a few nice cars, including one 430 at the track in Germany (the ex-wife spent 1,500 euros on it for my birthday), and several Corvettes of various years and trims over the years. This little WRX, though.... it is SO MUCH FUN!! Lol.

Thanks again for the warm welcomes everyone!! I look forward to chatting, and learning, about our babies!

·
Registered
586 Posts
Interested how you think the WRX compares to the M5. I've heard all kinds of good things about the 90's M cars.

When I was in Germany in the late 80's, I WANTED a BMW very badly, but could only afford used, and there were just none available when I needed it. So I "settled" for an Audi 80. Pretty comparable to a BMW 318 from the era, but definitely not an M car. Would go 200 kpm going downhill, as in the big hill on A62 between Pirmasens and Landstuhl.

Anyway, congrats on your purchase and welcome!

·
Registered
2,014 Posts
Hi everyone. I got t-boned last month by a '96 Dodge Ram trying to "make" a light that was waaayyyyy too red. Totaled my two year old Grand Cherokee with $14k in damage.

Congrats and welcome! Was their front windshield tinted?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts