ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know some of you are probably going to flame me but I'm ready for it. I know alot of you use the SR*S/ERZ exhaust. Found both of them on ebay and they looked the same. I found another one that looks identical to it but cheaper. Stainless steal catback for $125 shipped. Was wondering is it the same? Anybody has this exhaust that can provide some feedback on it?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Cat-back-Exhaust-System-Subaru-Impreza-WRX-02-03-04-06_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33630QQihZ014QQitemZ330215107097QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

·
Registered
966 Posts
buy that ish

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
tempted but just wanted to see if anybody has it on the car. Is it crapola or best bang for the buck?

·
Registered
966 Posts
i mean its stainless steel....the one thing is i would reccommend OEM gaskets...not those crappy ones they give you will the cheaper CBE.....but i imagine itsounds alright....it is a wrx....IMO its the car that makes the sound...the exhaust will just make it in a range of noises deending on what brand you get

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Isn't the OEM gasket too small for the 3" exhaust? I thought I would need to get a 3" gasket for it and not get the OEM gasket.

·
Registered
6,751 Posts
i mean its stainless steel....the one thing is i would reccommend OEM gaskets...not those crappy ones they give you will the cheaper CBE.....but i imagine itsounds alright....it is a wrx....IMO its the car that makes the sound...the exhaust will just make it in a range of noises deending on what brand you get
A couple of comments:
1. Not all stainless steel is created equal. Some alloys are much more rust-resistant, stronger, etc. I doubt that the Cobb exhaust and the SRS exhaust are using the same stainless alloy. That doesn't mean the SRS alloy is crap, it just means it's probably not the same.
2. The # 1 problem with aftermarket exhausts is resonance. This is the tendency for the car to get a weird droning sound at certain RPMs due to the exhaust not being engineered/tested a lot and tweaked to prevent the resonance. Resonance can only be eliminated by taking a lot of time to test the exhaust and tweak it.

You have to ask yourself a simple question: How can SRS/ERZ or this other no-name company the OP is asking about offer what looks like basically the same product as Cobb or others for so much less money? Here's why:
1. They use cheaper stainless alloys.
2. They spend less time engineering and testing their product.

That doesn't mean it's not ok to put on your car. It just means it is not the same caliber product as the premium brands. You don't just get a different sound by buying a more expensive exhaust. ;)

·
Premium Member
13,124 Posts
i'm not too sure about this one. if its in your budget i'd go for the erz or srs. i have the erz and am very pleased

·
Registered
966 Posts
A couple of comments:
1. Not all stainless steel is created equal. Some alloys are much more rust-resistant, stronger, etc. I doubt that the Cobb exhaust and the SRS exhaust are using the same stainless alloy. That doesn't mean the SRS alloy is crap, it just means it's probably not the same.
2. The # 1 problem with aftermarket exhausts is resonance. This is the tendency for the car to get a weird droning sound at certain RPMs due to the exhaust not being engineered/tested a lot and tweaked to prevent the resonance. Resonance can only be eliminated by taking a lot of time to test the exhaust and tweak it.

You have to ask yourself a simple question: How can SRS/ERZ or this other no-name company the OP is asking about offer what looks like basically the same product as Cobb or others for so much less money? Here's why:
1. They use cheaper stainless alloys.
2. They spend less time engineering and testing their product.

That doesn't mean it's not ok to put on your car. It just means it is not the same caliber product as the premium brands. You don't just get a different sound by buying a more expensive exhaust.

+ 2

·
Registered
93 Posts
ERZ sounds good.

Another "knockoff" brand I've actually heard on a couple WRX's is the "number 1" brand.

Although i can't vouch for it's quality....it sounds better than my Apexi n1!!!!!!! :whoa:

:confused:

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Good post there teflon. R&D is critical in creating a great product. With my limited budget I'm not really looking for the best product for my vehicle but a good value. I'm hoping someone on this forum can chime in on this particular product and give back some positive or negative crticism from hands on experience.

·
Is in Love With the Admins Here
2,770 Posts
In addition to what Teflon said, it also come down to fitment issues. When you pay a little more money, it will fit your car w/o any problems cuz it's been engineered & tested over & over to fit. I have the ERZ TBE & i'm actually getting rid of it. It's not a bad product, I just want something better. Peace of mind FTW!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts